View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 10:11 AM
i would never condone any breed ....but if any dog kills then ?

bad training aside
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 10:14 AM
these were guard dogs and were a menace to the neighbourhood, and i do agree they should have been pts.

they took that baby from the living quarters and took the babe onto the flat roof where both dogs savaged the baby.

why were these dogs not caged in the day, i thought the law is very clear on guard dogs.

the breed now is another getting a kicking from the public.its not the breed its the idiots who own them. macho image again.
i heard a breeder this morning 'in so many words' blaming irresponisible breeders for the problem. NO NO NO! how many times does it have to be said that its the owner not the dog!!!!

my heart felt sympathys goes out to the parents. i couldn't imagine how they must feel.
god bless.
minter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-09-2006, 10:34 AM
I agree.

On GMTV this morning they had a dog behaviourist on who wasa breath of fresh air. He stated that you can`t blame the breed for what has happened.
He spoke of an incident earlier in the year when a child was killed by a Westie. He asked where do you start with making the DDA bigger.
They had a reputable Rottie breeder on who was able to put the case forward that the breed are not at fault just the owners.
You still got the feeling though from Penny Smith that, this wasn`t good enough. She then asked for a vote on whether Rottweilers and other dogs like the Staffordshire Bull terrier should be put on the DDA.
Where did that come from? Once again Staffies are brought into an attack that had nothing to do with them.

I feel sick when I think of the poor baby and how this was able to happen. Her parents will have an idea and I hope that they can say that they done their best to have those dogs under control or the guilt never mind the criminal charges that they will face would be too much to cope with.

The problem is How do you stop it from happening again. Who do you train or licence? How? Who will do the training? Is it really practical? Is all that effort worth the mither to the goverment and councils or is it just easier to ban the breeds, in yet another knee jerk reaction?
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by hectorsmum View Post
i heard a breeder this morning 'in so many words' blaming irresponisible breeders for the problem. NO NO NO! how many times does it have to be said that its the owner not the dog!!!!

my heart felt sympathys goes out to the parents. i couldn't imagine how they must feel.
god bless.
I agree with all you have said except the irresponsible breeder part, I agree in the sense that you mean in that its not breeders breeding agression in, but if they were only being bred by responsible people then they would not be being homed with people who just want to make them into aggressive guard dogs!
I understand its not always the breeder who homes the dogs with these people but perhaps people rehoming the dogs, but if they were only bred by breeders who were very careful who they were rehomed too and took back any of the dogs they bred if they needed re-homing irresponsible owners wouldnt get hold of these dogs, obviously this is in an ideal world without puppy farming and poor breeders but I think everything comes back to the people who bred them and how responsible they are in homing their dogs! (No offense intended to good breeders of rottys I know there are plenty of good breeders who are very careful who they home their pups too!)
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 10:54 AM
i would like to see all people who own a dog or going to own a dog to be licenced, after having done a 'theory test' in dog welfare/training including making it law to do the good citizen scheme.

this would stop the macho idiots who think it funny to own a 'killer' dog .
paulabgv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by minter View Post
You still got the feeling though from Penny Smith that, this wasn`t good enough. She then asked for a vote on whether Rottweilers and other dogs like the Staffordshire Bull terrier should be put on the DDA.
Where did that come from? Once again Staffies are brought into an attack that had nothing to do with them.
Quite often it's not the dogs that need to go on the DDA it's the irreasponisble people that have them. It really annoys me, more often than not it's the people who make their dogs what they are by the way they are with them.

I do feel really sorry for this family and i don't know the details, but if the dogs were guard dogs surely they shouldn't have been able to get near the baby in the first place.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
I agree with all you have said except the irresponsible breeder part, I agree in the sense that you mean in that its not breeders breeding agression in, but if they were only being bred by responsible people then they would not be being homed with people who just want to make them into aggressive guard dogs!
I understand its not always the breeder who homes the dogs with these people but perhaps people rehoming the dogs, but if they were only bred by breeders who were very careful who they were rehomed too and took back any of the dogs they bred if they needed re-homing irresponsible owners wouldnt get hold of these dogs, obviously this is in an ideal world without puppy farming and poor breeders but I think everything comes back to the people who bred them and how responsible they are in homing their dogs! (No offense intended to good breeders of rottys I know there are plenty of good breeders who are very careful who they home their pups too!)
the breeder in this case was saying that a reponsible breeder would do all the health checks and temperment test , but this doesn't prevent bad training from the owner.
any dog will do its own thing if its not taught from the word go.
the're is no such thing as a bad dog only bad owners!!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 12:25 PM
I agree something needs to be done, but sadly, I think it will mean an extension of the DDA, which I sincerely hope will not mean rotties are included on it as they are, in the right hands, lovely dogs. I suspect sadly, that they will be though...I also suspect the bull breeds are in for a tough time.
breeders are partly responsible, not good ones, back street ones...
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 12:42 PM

its not the breed its the idiots who own them. macho image again.
There's no doubt that the rearing does play a significant part in forming the temperament but you can't discount completely the hereditary element.

Dogs have been selectively bred for specific purposes, thats why Border Collies make the best herders, Labradors make good gundogs and Rottweilers guard dogs.
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 01:51 PM
the breeder in this case was saying that a reponsible breeder would do all the health checks and temperment test , but this doesn't prevent bad training from the owner.
any dog will do its own thing if its not taught from the word go.
the're is no such thing as a bad dog only bad owners!!
I agree'd with you on that theres not bad dogs but bad owners, what I was saying is that its the breeders responsibility to ensure any dogs bred by them are homed into good homes and are contracted to be returned to them if they ever need to be rehomed, if dogs were only bred by breeders like this, dogs wouldnt get into the hands of irresponsible owners, but as I said this would be the case in an ideal world in the real world puppy farmers and irresponsible breeders allow irresponisble owners to own these dogs and make them into agressive animals who are a risk to the public, causing insidences such as this one!
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >