Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Do You bother with Booster Vacinnations
I only get the puppy ones done 11 20.00%
Never 5 9.09%
Every few years 13 23.64%
Always 26 47.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

23-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by Dee1974
My Dog is supposed to be having his annual vaccination at the vets tomorrow. However I've read several articles on how we are vaccinating too much and a load of dogs are getting ill because there immune systems turn on themselves and can even kill them! I have cancelled his appointment to investigate further as I'm sure the vaccine he had last year will do him a couple of years?

My Husband says there is a titre test they can do on their blood to see if your dog already has enough immunisation in it's blood to fight infections such as parvo. My dog seemed really ill after his booster last year and I have a gut feeling he does not need any more chemicals in his system for at least another few years.

Do you get your dogs done every year?
The vax in UK now give 3 years immunity to parvo, distemper & adno, so if your dog had his last year for those 3 he won`t need them doing again for another 2 yrs and you won`t have to titre either

You might lik to read links below

http://www.news.wisc.edu/story.php?get=8413

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Inte...s_/-29489.html
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

23-06-2006, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by rob
Bob gets his every year
Which ones??

if its those he gets yearly why???
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

23-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by duboing
Me too to all of that, so I'm not voting on this one

Interestingly, my mum's vet has told her that they now recommend boosters once every three years as standard now. They claim that's what the vaccine manufacturers (Nobivac in this case) are starting to lean to as well. Food for thought...
They`re not starting to *lean to as well* they are doing it & have been for a couple years

Christine
Dogsey Veteran

23-06-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
Every year on the dot!
For which ones??

hope it isn`t for any of those 3
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-06-2006, 03:06 PM
Bingo Christine ! you hit the nail on the head with the vaccination/immunosuppressed persons post
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

23-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by Willow
Well this has certainly given me food for thought

Mine are 5 and 4 but have already had the yearly jabs for *everything* but now there is vacc's that last 3 years, I'll be going for that. I let the kennel cough lapse because of the kennels I now use doesnt insist on it, but does insist on having the dogs having upto date vaccinations. I'll move to the 3 yearly ones if they are valid for the kennels.

Hevuur do the kennels you work at take the ones that are valid for three years ? If it's common practise then I'll move onto having the dogs done for that then. And just boostered for the lepto every year.
Yes kennels will take dogs having 3 yearly vax Heres what the manufacturers say

**To avoid confusion in the future, Intervet has issued veterinary surgeons using Intervet vaccines with supplements to the vaccination certificate that can be used to indicate more clearly when the next vaccination is due. If you have not seen one of these supplements, or would like further information, please contact your local veterinary surgeon or view the extended duration of immunity section on this website.......For the sake of clarity, all vaccination certificates supplied by Intervet to vets now include a ‘protected until’ date for each vaccine. This is the date you should check when determining whether the pet is fully protected.

Christine
Dogsey Veteran

23-06-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Willow
Bingo Christine ! you hit the nail on the head with the vaccination/immunosuppressed persons post
Yes but its not something vets or manu`s go out of their way to tell people is it I have the book of NOAH, the web site I give links to, its a few yrs old now but I read that in the contra-inications. I know it also says dogs vaxed with k/c should stay away from other dogs because of virus shedding.

Sorry to hear about your hubby tho, hope he`s OK
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2006, 07:56 PM
I have just had a letter from my vet about my dog being due for his booster. This is what it says: "This annual booster will provide protection agenst distemper, parvovirus, leptospirosis & hepititis. Recent research has established that the immunity produced by certain parts off the vaccine is so good that it is now only necessary to give a half booster every other year, alternating with a full booster."

Can anyone explain exactly what they mean by "half booster" does that just mean they give a smaller ammount? sorry if its a silly question but I find it all so confusing!
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

23-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by angelmist
I have just had a letter from my vet about my dog being due for his booster. This is what it says: "This annual booster will provide protection agenst distemper, parvovirus, leptospirosis & hepititis. Recent research has established that the immunity produced by certain parts off the vaccine is so good that it is now only necessary to give a half booster every other year, alternating with a full booster."

Can anyone explain exactly what they mean by "half booster" does that just mean they give a smaller ammount? sorry if its a silly question but I find it all so confusing!
No its not a silly question at all, more like a silly confusing letter!!

If you have alook in your dogs vaccination book you`ll see which vaccine manufacturer your vet uses, its on the little stickers stuck inside. If you tell me which one he used last year I`ll give you a link to see what the duration of immunity is for their vax

Most of the vax given to dogs now are like the mmr for kids, 3 in 1, only for dogs it`s like 4/5/6 or 7 in one. They do not give smaller ammounts at all.
Yout vet maybe will be giving a vax for just 2 diseases as its only the 3 major ones that need only be given every 3 years

As i said have a look in his vax book & tell us what it says & we`ll explain more
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2006, 08:28 PM
Thanks Christine thats very kind of you, problem is there are no little stickers on my vaccination card its all hand written all it tells me is what they were vaccinated agenst & the vaccination batch number. I might ring them on Monday and ask them.
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »