View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-11-2004, 08:58 AM
your right jenny they would have know his size as an adult all the breeders like new owners to see the adults so they understand what they are taking on before they put the names down.
the club has a list of people us included that are willing for others to come and see their leos.for general size etc and the reality of what the leo is like to live with in a home.
plus janet the breeder of T.J has other leo's so they would have seen her gang.
the fact of it all is it would have only taken 1 call from them to janet saying they didn't want him any more and she would have taken him back but to save their own skin they chose to have him PTS.
your right chloe you don't know the whole story and i think the same as the others they must have lied to the vet for the vet to do it.
all we can say is what we know but this dogs life was cut short by these people when it wasn't needed their is plenty of other leo owners out there which would have taken him in.
i personnally hope these people rot in hell and any others like them that think its ok to get a dog then get rid of it when they don't suit them any more,with all the cruel things people do to dogs what ever the breed they shouldn't be allowed to have the pleasure of owning any dog again.
we live in a 3 bed det house with 1 leo about to come 2 and other pets,but what ever tobys size i would never part with him.if you dont want to share your home with such a big dog then get a dog smaller to start with its as simple as that.
cases like tj's should never happen if people thought about the responsabilitys of owning a dog first.............its more a case of what you can give a dog in its life than what you get out of it.
i'm sorry to go on and i know you would all feel the same if it was regarding a dog of your own breed but no dog deserves the treatment TJ got.
to me its like saying the colour of the dog doesnt match the carpet so get rid of it.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2004, 03:46 PM
I dont know what to say These people should be shot, and the vet.
I hope they never own another animal and may they rot in hell!!!!!
Do you know any more details as to WHY?????

How old was this dog?

I'd love to put how I really feel, but, best not
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-11-2004, 05:20 PM
hectorsmum
i don't know any more details or how old he was at a guess 18 months + as you already know this is the approx age they stop growing in height (adult frame).
the only reason i found out is because my girls dad is a clunkamoor so i was looking for a picture of him and found the news about TJ.
i have had mail from janet as my girls mum is in her care while she whelps etc.
As far as we know TJ was a normal size,healthy typical leo we have put this on dw with janet's blessing as she feels the more people are made aware of TJ story it might help stop this kind of thing happening again.
i'm like you i can't type the true way i feel about this poor lad didn't get the chance to have a full and happy life just because he was a leo.

i know if i ever breed mine i will be very wary about the new homes if im not happy then they simply won't get 1 of my pups and i will be keeping in contact,you know as much as me regarding the morals of the breeders and the fact we have a welfare for them if needed.there is people waiting for leo's and just want a pet leo he could have had a long happy life all for the sake of a call.
stonedagen
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2004, 05:37 PM
People fall in love with the 'idea' of a breed, but when that tiny gorgeous pup, grows into an adolescent huge, demanding dog, they dont dont want them any more, its the same with newfies, and probably st. bernards, and danes
with a lot of giant breeds they can also be used as status symbol, not in the same way as a rottie or a staffy more about the size of their wallets.
Its very sad really, but i am very suprised and disheartened that the vet actually consented to putting him to sleep!
Maybe the owners just couldnt justify their excuse to anyone why they didnt want him anymore.....the easy way out isnt it!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-11-2004, 06:12 PM
too easy but still wrong,maybe its me but im the kind of person if you take on a animal what ever it is then you take on the care,training,costs etc what ever they maybe through out the animals life.if you can't do that then you shouldn't have them.i think its true it takes a certain type of person to own a giant breed as they aren't the best dog to have if you can't handle the fact you will have a big dog in size/strength with a pup's brain and they are slow to mature.
i will be honest i have at times thought my god why did i pick a leo cause he has been a bogger in the past but im also aware of the fact he's still a pup and with time i'll get him right.no pup comes trained to follow commands,knows the rules etc but to be put to sleep because of size which they was made aware of before they chose to own 1.
i know for a fact ppl are interested in the leo for the look of the dog as a status symbol thats why they vet every owner and have the list to make them realise what a leo is all about some ppl can only see a cute pup not the fact that every pup grows to be an adult at some point.
Kirsty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2004, 06:33 PM
It is disgusting to think that they may have had a perfectly healthy dog down and even worse it was around 18 months old
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3