View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2006, 10:15 PM
I do think the Halti was a bad choice, I imagine alot was edited, Dylan did seem to get them pulled over a couple of times which if they had had a better collar like the dogmatic or canny that wouldnt of happened.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2006, 01:10 AM
I was quite interested to watch it because Takara gets all excited when she sees another dog too. She's not as bad as that anymore as she's learnt that if she doesn't sit down and be quiet the lead stays on!

It has inspired me though to take it further and get her under more control. If they could do it with Dillan so that he walked up to the other dog without pulling then T can do it!

Thought it was a good program - I too was a bit worried about the halti, I thought it was a little insecure, knowing that T even managed to get her canny off once which are much harder to get off than haltis, and knowing that head collars like that aren't all that strong, I thought he'd get free.
I've never used a halti so didn't know that you had to clip it to the dog's collar so that bit didn't worry me!

Still have tremendous respect for VS - I won't be entering Takara for any of her shows just yet as I think she's pretty good for an 8 month old and that VS would laugh at me! But I'm with whoever asked if anyone from here would be going on it - let us know! I'll look out for you!
Yorkie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-03-2006, 01:25 AM
I missed it this week but have managed to catch up on this thread!!
tiffanie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-03-2006, 02:44 PM
On next weeks programme it looked like a giant Schnauzer (sp?) to me.

Gorgeous danes on this weeks. My OH was in absolute stitches when he was dragging her on the ground. Don't know why she ever thought she'd be able to hold it back? Some people really don't realise the strength of these large breeds!
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-03-2006, 05:11 PM
I wish the makers of these dog 'training' programmes would include a warning that not all methods shown are suitable for all dogs.

I know someone with a very sound-sensitive rescue dog that cannot be taken outside at all during firework season. The dog has recently started to jump up to steal from the kitchen worktops. She copied a Victoria Stilwell method that she had seen on the programme which was to bang saucepan lids together just as the dog went to jump up on the worktop. Result...dog that no longer tries to steal from the counter but who jumps and runs away with his tail between his legs at every single loud noise I wouldn't exactly call that a success story
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2006, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by ShaynLola
I know someone with a very sound-sensitive rescue dog that cannot be taken outside at all during firework season. The dog has recently started to jump up to steal from the kitchen worktops. She copied a Victoria Stilwell method that she had seen on the programme which was to bang saucepan lids together just as the dog went to jump up on the worktop. Result...dog that no longer tries to steal from the counter but who jumps and runs away with his tail between his legs at every single loud noise I wouldn't exactly call that a success story
I do agree but at the same time a little common scense wouldn't go a miss with some people!
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous
I do agree but at the same time a little common scense wouldn't go a miss with some people!
I agree totally but as it seems less and less common for anyone to actually possess it these days, I do think sometimes the obvious needs to be stated. Perhaps it should be renamed uncommon sense
mackleback
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2006, 09:23 AM
Did anyone notice the 2 Dane statues they had at the front door? They were made of stone and looked gorgeous. Wonder if they do Mastiff ones.
bagoratz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-03-2006, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by ShaynLola
I wish the makers of these dog 'training' programmes would include a warning that not all methods shown are suitable for all dogs.

Have you read the Dog Borstal thread on here?? There has been tremendous discussion regarding this but about Dog Borstal rather than VS

I have emailed the BBC about this but have not had a reply yet - if I don't get one by lunchtime I will ring them, and let you all know the score!
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2006, 10:01 AM
I will have to watch this programme sounds interesting
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3