Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
juliekelham
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-01-2006, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK
What new methods has she used ? An Air Horn & pan lids ??

Sorry but she is presented as a "behaviourist" when really she is a show presenter with lots of assistants you don't see on air

There are many more less "flamboyant"(& one or two more flamboyant like Donelda Guy-Linda Barker's trainer from Celeb Dog School) dog traiiners who turn round dogs using dog friendly methods & TBH all the dogs to date on her programs have few real problems

Now the owners that's a different matter altogether !
have to say i agree totally with what joedee has said
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2006, 09:02 PM
i am sorry I disagree - regardless of what she is or isnt - I think the show is very good at showing the real problem with majority of dog behaviour issues is the owners not the dogs.

I would think its common sense for most people that these things did not change overnight - and they make it very clear ont he program when she leaves and comes back that the family need to put the work in.

Good on the woman for highlighting the need for better behaved owners !

Her book is excellent at explaining to the "lay " person an easy way of approaching dog training,
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2006, 09:05 PM
Well I'm sorry but I don't agree with Jodee. They stated on there tonight that she has 10 years experience as a dog behaviourist, somebody on here has said she has written a book on behaviour, and that's good enough for me! Experience speaks volumes in my book!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2006, 09:07 PM
i agree helena - I have her book as i like the way she explains things - of course what she is teaching is not new - but it works - and she makes the case for NEVER harming or causing your dog to be fearful which is more than alot of so called dog trainers and behaviourists I have come into contact with do.

I really enjoy her book and she makes a lot of sense. She has worked in the states in rescue shelters and is all for nuetering dogs etc etc - so she works for me !
BarkingMad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-01-2006, 09:23 PM
Me too i find her to be very good at what she does (as i've said before lol), i don't see anyone else recognised doing anything similar too what she's doing now over the last few years. Over 10 years of experience with dogs and she's written her first book which is aimed again like her show for highlighting awareness our canine partners behaviours is enough proof for me that she's a good capable dog trainer.

I recieved her book this morning through the post haven't read it yet as im swampped with work but im going too start tomorrow
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2006, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
Well I'm sorry but I don't agree with Jodee. They stated on there tonight that she has 10 years experience as a dog behaviourist, somebody on here has said she has written a book on behaviour, and that's good enough for me! Experience speaks volumes in my book!
Wow over 10 years eh

Actually lets get the timeline facts correct shall we

In 1990 she started walking people's dogs for a living

In 1999 she moved to the USA(New York) & co founded a behaviourist business

At no time has she ever owned a dog & has no intentions of doing so !

Now her website claims that she is one of the world's most recognized and respected dog trainers.

Funny that as before the TV program she was totally unknown in the UK. I bet if I mentioned Mary Ray to anyone who has a dog they will have heard of her, but VS ? My vet hadn't heard of her last week until I mentioned the TV program. I bet in countries were the TV program hasn't been shown she will be totally unknown

Sorry but 6 years of running an american dog behavior modification business is diddly squat in the world of dog training IMHO like I have said none of her"methods" are new & she has developed nothing herself. There has been nothing in her shows that hasn't been used before including the castrating the male dog & spaying bitches to solve problems, which it doesn't.

I've been training other people's dogs for over 40 years & I'm still learning & no I'm not envious of VS After all she has never had the privilege of owning a dog let alone the joy of owning one of mine. My pride is in the dogs that have been trained by me that have go on to lead happy well adjusted lives-not a quick fix for a TV program

I'm on an E mail obedience list that has some of the most successful dog trainers in the world on it & guess what before the TV program none of them had ever heard of her Odd that isn't it ?
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2006, 10:49 PM
I don't know Mary Ray...lol

Really though the programme is a bit of entertainment...Take it or leave it is probably the best policy
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2006, 10:58 PM
I enjoy the program and have her book!
She is straight talking and her methods may be old, but they do work.TV people want to 'jazz' things up, but at least she is getting over the responsibility of dog ownership etc.
I think she is really good, and much needed on TV.
BarkingMad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-01-2006, 11:06 PM
I have never heared of this person called Mary Ray?, im guessing she's a dog trainer or something similar?

If Victoria Stilwell has been working the US mostly, then the UK isn't going to hear about it much are they, i mean how many US dog trainers do we know over here that are famous or recommended... or is it just me
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2006, 11:09 PM
I don't know Mary Ray...lol
I didn't expect you to know Mary personally & I presume if you don't know of her you have never watched Crufts on TV either

Mary of course has only owned &/or trained Obedience Champions(including winning the Crufts Championships three times winning over 60 UK Challenge certificates & making up 9 obedience champions(7 BCs & 2 BSDs), Agility Champions & top Heelwork To Music dogs, written books & made videos & DVDs on dog training. Her experience in dogs only covers 28 years this year which is nothing compared to VS's 10 years of course.

Mary doesn't just competition training BTW maybe she was too busy for the TV
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »