View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2005, 11:46 AM
i couldn't see myself with a small breed (sorry little dogs) and i couldn't bring myself to own a breed that was thin,have real issues with skinny dogs.however if there was a dog in need and i was it's only chance i would take it and learn to love it
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2005, 12:06 PM
No I always said I wouldn't have another small dog but then we got Benji after my daughter wanted her own small dog. My first breed will always be German Shepherds but having said that Benji is a hell of a lot easier No hairs anywhere (he's non moulting) and I can trust him with any dog or any child completely - he has no aggression whatsover and wins over the most aggressive dogs in seconds with one wag of his little tail and friendly face. He is very intelligent too and travels easy in the car - its a lot easier to have a Bichon sat on your knee than a 9 stone German Shepherd with doggy breath
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-12-2005, 12:07 PM
For me i will allways own small breeds!
I don't think i could own a bull breed again, or anything like a collie.
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2005, 12:20 PM
There are anumber of breeds I would not have..simply because I know nothing about them..I have never had a little dog, and never ever thought of one, until I saw Foxy's little Benji who is a little darling!!
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2005, 12:26 PM
hmmm... difficult to give reasons without offending some people, but I would have no breed that:
has a long coat, is smaller than a Dalmatian, has pointy, sticking up ears (ok I know they are the "true" dogs but I prefer floppy ears), is a terrier, needs stripping or endless grooming, is yappy or looks "cute".

Still gives me plenty of scope.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2005, 12:42 PM
Gosh Deccy you have not left yourself much to choose from really. Do you own quiet ugly Dallies then or don't they count.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2005, 12:56 PM
At least Dalmatians, like many other larger breeds, don't bark for ages in an irritating (to me) high pitched way that goes straight through my head. A few deep woofs if someone comes to the house and that's it.
My preferences leave me with many alternatives, Foxhound, Beagle, (even if they are smaller than a Dally) Hungarian Visla, Weimeraner, Rhodesian Ridgeback, English Pointer, Great Dane, Greyhound, GSP, Dobermann, Rottweiler and a couple of European Hound breeds that I can't spell ! (something like Grande Bleu du Gascoine and Bracco Italiano)
I like Boxers too even though they are smaller.
Trouble is, they don't have spots but nobody's perfect....

PS by "not cute" I don't mean ugly - I mean not chocolate box fluffed up "ah factor" twee type....... but each to their own Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by Deccy
PS by "not cute" I don't mean ugly - I mean not chocolate box fluffed up "ah factor" twee type....... but each to their own Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Ah, well, of course, that is in the eye of the beholder, what looks chocolate box to you may look workman like to me and vice versa.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2005, 02:01 PM
There are too many WOULDN'T have's to mention...

I WOULD only have Samoyeds or Malamutes now.. as they have a different "attitude" to other dogs.. they ae more challenging and I love a challenge (Did I really say that!!!)
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2005, 02:20 PM
What you have discovered Louise is that Spitz breeds are not normal dogs and are only suitable for those who like a challenge
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »