View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2005, 08:26 AM
So what there are different breeds...they all bark, wag their tail, kiss you even when they have stinky breath...they dont judge our colour or looks why judge theirs??????
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2005, 08:37 AM
The whole point of buying and breeding pedigree dogs is to breed to a standard laid down for that specific breed. If I buy a terrier, I know it will bark a lot, thats what they were bred for, if I buy a Labrador, I know it will carry things round, thats what they were bred for. If I buy a Dobermann I know it will warn of strangers, be short coated and have certain health risks. If I buy an Afghan I know its coat will be long, will be aloof and run off in all probability if it gets chance, can you see where I am going?

If all were mongrels, then you take pot luck, like out of a rescue centre, its anybody's guess how big the pup will grow, anybody's guess how long its coat will get etc.. unless you are 100% sure of its parentage, but then again, thats where the pedigree dog comes in isnt it, you are very aware of what you are getting!
Dawn.

Meant to add, buying a pedigree dog will often ensure prospective owners are fully prepared for what they have bought, therefore the likihood of severe unexpected problems occuring are much decreased, as a breed standard and history will more than likely outline breed character and personality, as well as looks and coat type.

Why did you get a Staff? you could of got a mongrel?
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-10-2005, 09:11 AM
Can I be really dim please (more than usual) and ask what started this off? I know I haven't been around much recently, but I haven't noticed any breed-bashing over the last few weeks Am I being particularly blind?

Becs
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-10-2005, 09:18 AM
members having another go at the n.i and utongans because they are not a kc reconised breed, its happened before a few times and this thread is a result of it.
http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/nor...pups_6624.html
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-10-2005, 09:27 AM
Crikey, thanks Leo - yep, that would be me being blind then
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2005, 09:38 AM
I don't have a problem with people trying to develop a new breed, but & it is a very important & big but Whatever breeds are used in it's development must be the healthiest & soundest around

Why ?

It is all too easy to obtain a dog & a bitch & they them breed & not health test. I have GSDs BCs & Cavaliers The BC & GSD I currently have are from fully health screened parents & bred by people who have looked at the pedigrees & health tests. The Cavaliers are from heart & eye tested parents but no thought has been given to Syringohydromyelia & one of my boys has this(can only be seen by MRI scan as he has no symptoms)He is gorgeous(his my Avatar)but if I had done what his breeders & the owner of his brother have done & bred without scanning he would have passed this on to his puppies

Breeders who set out to develop dogs like NI should only use low scoring parents from low scoring lines, however only three NI have been scored todate(BTW any dog X breed or otherwise can be scored(my puppy BC's father is ISDS only reg as is his mother & they are both scored)so there is no reason why all the NI cannot be scored. One breeder's site does say they have HD problems & I know a NI that is going to have to have a double hip replacement due to crippling HD, such a shame as she is a lovely young bitch

The developer of the Cesky was very thorough choosing the best Sealies & Scotties & being quite ruthless in his health testing. They have few health problems as a result & have delightful temperaments as well. A lovely breed that has dedicated breeders in the UK following the originators ethics

Maybe if the NI breeders did the same perhaps there would less non pro feelings
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-10-2005, 11:06 AM
I don't know where you got your information that only 3 Northen Inuits have been hip scored - thats absolute rubbish!!!! Its stupid rumours like that which put people off a breed. As for the beautiful young bitch with bad hips - you haven't said who it is but I have a pretty good idea. The breeder of that bitch gets all her breeding stocks hips done and she sold that bitch KNOWING it had bad hips - which is one of the reasons she was thrown out of the society.

Please get your facts right before making brash statements like that.

I am doing a survey of the Northern Inuit population and from all the hundreds of replies I have only had one with hip problems - that doesn't suggest to me that it is inherent in the breed. There was one other older dog that needed a hip replacement but that was possibly due to the fact he spent much of his life as a youngster living in a flat and having to use stairs regularly - which we all know is bad for any young dog and can cause hip problems.

If there had been a problem in the breed I am sure people would of been very quick to fill in my survey and let me know about it.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-10-2005, 11:37 AM
you get health issues with any breed.
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2005, 11:40 AM
hear hear sandra, in 18 years, theres only been 4 cases of hip-dysplacia out of a population of hundreds, which is pretty good going, and we dont all go round breeding willy nilly. ive had N.I for 5 years and am only just breeding my first litter, having decided that both my dog and bitch are both in excellent health with know inherant problems. i consider my self to be pretty responsible, and all my puppies will be totally health screened before going to new homes, if i thought a dog of mine had H/D, there is no way i would sell it on, thats really irresponsible. As sandra says, she is doing a survey and has had lots of replies and the N.I is looking good.
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by leo
you get health issues with any breed.
of course you do, but now and then, it seems as though we are singled out.
Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »