Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2014, 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by kammi_sparky123 View Post
I do understand and completely see where you are coming from, but due to the size difference I would just rather be safe than sorry is all.
Please do not apply the "Alpha" domination theory to your dogs, domesticated dogs do not live in Packs( unless you have the parents & offspring from 1 or more litters & this is not the case here)

Growling & snapping is NOT aggression as I have previously mentioned & you should never try to stop any dog from growling when ill at ease, to do so will make the dog go straight into a defensive mode without warning.

I would never have a dog that had to wear a muzzle 24/7 when with other dogs, however she will be your dog & you obviously can do what you want to with her.

My understanding is that currently in training racing greyhounds are required to wear a muzzle in a public place which is for safety reasons, but they don't wear them 24/7 surely & not sure once their racing/training days are over ? As this before bitch is a "failed" racer, did the rescue advise you why she failed ? My failed sheepdog prefers the taste of sheep to working them, obviously she is never allowed within gripping distance of sheep nor is she allowed on off lead n their vicinity this why she is a failed sheepdog & her previous owners are 100% upfront about this.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2014, 03:35 AM
She failed due to a lack of interest in chasing.

That's not to say she wouldn't (hence the muzzle) but she has nowhere near the interest that most have.

When I said about the difference in size, that's literally what I meant lol as I wasn't sure about squabbles or anything it was just to be safe.

She doesn't have it on 24/7, she doesn't have it on when they are separated and earlier even when together she had it off for a couple of hours and was completely fine, it literally is just precautionary.

She doesn't have to wear it in public if I didn't want her to, but again it's recommended whilat getting to know the greyhound as you won't know what they will and won't react to.

In saying that on our second walk today we saw a cat and she noticed it but wasn't overly bothered, alfie was the one wanting to get at it lol
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2014, 07:55 AM
Alfies behaviour towards the new girl is just what I would expect att his stage . It might take a few weeks for everything to settle down . I think you are doing everything right and you should just keep on the way you are going .
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-12-2014, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by gordon mac View Post
Jackie - ou state that you "worked in a greyhound racing kennels, many many years ago, so there's nothing I don't understand about them". Even after that great length of time I doubt whether the temperament or prey drive of greyhounds has changed, even a little.
Gordon....... exactly, which is why I expressed my concern, does it matter what turn of phrase I used... as you state, the prey drive of the racing grey does not change, the above was a direct response to your statement of "surprise", but that`s another thread and not relevant here .

There is no need to reply, would not wish to waste any more of your time,

BTW ...your qualifications are very impressive thanks for sharing .
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2014, 09:37 AM
If I may be so bold, to me it does not make sense that the shelter would express true concern in thinking that a dog that had no real prey drive would think a DOG was prey and chase him. I think they were just spinning their wheels of sorts. Protocol type stuff.

You add in that Alfie is the aggressor here and is doing no running, it doesn't make a ton of sense that she'd need the muzzle for long around him. I graduated from muzzled and on lead, to no muzzle and on lead, to niether. Still, I know personally that dogs used to muzzles do not mind them, so there is no harm in using them.
Mr.Bulldog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-12-2014, 09:46 AM
Crikey not one thread but two, I wonder if the thread starter considered that rescuing a greyhound could be such a controversial lifestyle choice
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2014, 12:33 PM
Haha I don't mind!

I've been on the forum long enough now to know not to take things personally and at the end of the day everyone has the best intentions!

Been for another long walk today and so far they have been calmer round each other! So hopefully in time all will be good!
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-12-2014, 04:53 PM
Not sure if you're doing this already, but spend short intervals with one and the other separated but able to see each other. By your resident dog seeing that she is no threat by you interacting with the new dog may give her that extra little bit to accept her, plus a ton of treats. Worked well here in the past.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2014, 01:27 PM
Thanks! I'll do that

Alfie is still being grumpy but they are definitely settling a bit with each other now which is a good sign!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3