View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2014, 12:32 PM
Apparently the dog was called "Killer" ... says it all really, doesn't it. Poor dog, poor child, poor parents.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-02-2014, 12:37 PM
It was on the news that the dog was an American Pit Bull
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-02-2014, 01:38 PM
According to a radio report just now "Killer" had 'already eaten a cat' and a neighbour had to shoo the dog away from his kids. Why any parent would give a dog with this history house room seems to be asking for trouble. It seems now that not enough thought is given to the day to day welfare of the dog, i.e exercise and mental stimulation and you end up with a very frustrated dog whatever the breed.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-02-2014, 01:59 PM
I've seen the news repeatedly and read the papers and yet have no clue what really happened, just lots of speculation. The only real fact is the little girl who was an absolute stunner has lost her life in tragic circumstances.

My condolences to her family, I'm sure they blame themselves regardless of the circumstances.
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-02-2014, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
I think that's a terrible thing to say, regardless of the situation a mother has lost her child, and that alone deserves some sympathy, the details I have read is they put the baby to bed and the dog went upstairs, in normal circumstances you would consider this a tragic accident, there are reports this dog was knowingly aggressive to others, it says there are more than one dog in the house, until we know the true facts, its all speculation,

irresponsible maybe, neglectful maybe, but I can still have a bit of human compassion towards a mother who`s child has been killed.
Nope. I'm beyond feeling any sympathy for the parents who put their children at risk like this time and time again. There was already reports of the dog being "dangerous" so you'd think the parents would be more careful and take steps to make sure the dog and child were never given opportunity to mix. Assumedly the dog was allowed to roam the house while they sat down stairs oblivious to it's whereabouts.

Might sound harsh. But I don't care. My thoughts are solely with the child and dog that lost their lives.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2014, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Dogloverlou View Post
Nope. I'm beyond feeling any sympathy for the parents who put their children at risk like this time and time again. There was already reports of the dog being "dangerous" so you'd think the parents would be more careful and take steps to make sure the dog and child were never given opportunity to mix. Assumedly the dog was allowed to roam the house while they sat down stairs oblivious to it's whereabouts.

Might sound harsh. But I don't care. My thoughts are solely with the child and dog that lost their lives.
I thought I had read that they were not at their home so perhaps the dog wasn't theirs?

I'm not excusing anyone or blaming anyone here - but we never get to hear exactly what happened so I find it safer not to make assumptions in these cases - especially as the press tend to concentrate of those aspects that they know will provoke the most interest in their readers.
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-02-2014, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
I thought I had read that they were not at their home so perhaps the dog wasn't theirs?

I'm not excusing anyone or blaming anyone here - but we never get to hear exactly what happened so I find it safer not to make assumptions in these cases - especially as the press tend to concentrate of those aspects that they know will provoke the most interest in their readers.
Even more reason to be cautious!

I agree though, we never tend to know any real facts in these cases. It will all come down to assumptions, and incorrect information. Not to mention a huge amount of scare mongering in the press. Although that being said, this doesn't seem to have generated as much press/media coverage as past stories.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2014, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post

Dog belonged to the mother's boyfriend apparently.The child and mother were in his house.
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-02-2014, 04:55 PM
Just been reading that The RSPCA were called out twice over the last two years - surely if it was an American Pit Bull it would have been confiscated

Another bit in the paper says it was "a large pit bull type" that's a rather vague way of saying they don't know but it seems like a good idea to call it that....

As for killing the cat I have known a few dogs over the years that have killed cats and squirrels and rabbits and rats and mice.............

It's a tragedy not helped by the media as usual.

RIP little ones
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-02-2014, 05:01 PM
yeah one of mine killed a cat, long story, and she didn't give way to temptation at first when I said leave, she left it, but instead of letting me pick it up the stupid cat ran straight into her open arms doesn't mean she's going to attack a child, mine chase squirrels, they have chased ducks and chickens who were in the wrong place at the wrong time (round here we have them wandering the streets) and I cannot stop her from being a dog no matter how hard I try, all mine adore children and play with them when given the chance. Unfortunately nowadays parents whisk their child away the minute one of mine approaches wagging her tail, which is a great shame, but I understand why it happens, more than the girls do, their faces drop I would never ever leave any of my girls alone with a child though, you just never know what could happen, and if there was a child asleep upstairs then there would be no access to the stairs.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >