View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2014, 05:30 PM
So your Loki is on slightly less bromide than my Loki but the same Pheno. She's doing really well then Rose, because she has fewer fits than Mr Loki. That's something to be positive about - remember how bad she used to be?

Loki must weigh about 30/35 odd kilos I think. I just tried to weigh him but I couldn't pick him up because he planted his behind on the floor and got cross with me so I gave up. I might ask Steve to do it when he comes home. That'll please him and Loki.

We feed Loki mainly raw apart from breakfast because he wouldn't eat raw in the morning any more. He now has half a tray of Pets at Home Wainwrights for breakfast.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-01-2014, 05:33 PM
I know all about the meds/post-ictal munchies etc making them gain weight - Pereg went from 17kg to 20.8kg in the first five months, but when we changed her Pb from BID to TID [and putting her fully on raw] I put her on a very strict diet, plus she had that lovely long streak, I managed to get her weight down to 16.6kg last April. It took about 18 months though.

Unfortunately due to the Monster returning plus the increases in Pb - and also not being able to go out for walks since the roadworks started last June, she had gone up to 18.2kg last November, and I think she has probably gained a bit more since then.

ETA - she also has Milk Thistle, SAMe and Taurine and so far her liver function and other tests have been perfect B"H
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2014, 05:38 PM
It's very hard Malka, with the desperate hunger, I know.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2014, 05:51 PM
We just weighed Loki - he's 33.9 kg. He always seems to have been somewhere around this weight. He does have a lot of nervous energy and cannot manage without his walks, whatever the weather.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

11-01-2014, 06:51 PM
Poor Pereg has no choice at the moment regarding going for walks as even though I can now get my big scooter onto the road [by illegally driving along the pavement to the dropped kerb by the tractor path] it is far too dangerous as they are still working at the far end and there are massive trucks and JCBs racing up and down [no speed bumps yet replaced], and heavy rollers trundling along as fast as they will go. And the very large rollers can go almost as fast as the JCBs.

Even though Pereg is always on the nearside I am not prepared to take the risk - for my own life as well as hers.

I think that one of the reasons she has the diabolical munchies at the moment is because she is just plain bored - both of us are suffering from cabin fever although at least now I can get across the road to the macolet. She, poor dog, is only able to get out into the front yard on her tether.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2014, 10:19 PM
It's hard for both of you at the moment, Malka. [Hugs]
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

11-01-2014, 11:29 PM
Loki is refusing to go out! I think the two flights of stairs down to the close then the flight up the outside stairs to the pavement gets to her! Coming back, I would take her in the back door way but again that is two flights up to the close, then two flights up to my flat!

She has calluses on the side of her paws and one on her elbow thru' lying on the hard tiles of the kitchenette and bathroom. She won't sleep anywhere else as she gets so hot with her long fur coat!

I will be getting the vet up at the end of the month to clip her nails as they are getting long because she is not going out. I hope that will change and soon! I miss my walkies with her!

Loki is a heavy dog and, Linda, I couldn't even attempt to lift her two front paws up - never mind the whole lot of her! Her muscles are strong.

When I think of the fits she had to start with, twice I had to have her hospitalised, on one occasion the emergency Vets Now thought she wouldn't make it. She'd had over 39 fits in two days. It was heartbreaking.

She still eats a lot after coming out a fit - even the one!

Loki got a lot better and less fits when she was put on the Potassium Bromide.

Hope both cousin Loki, Linda, and Pereg, Malka, have a long free time without these blasted fits.

Hugs to both Coz Loki and to Pereg from me and Loki xx
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2014, 04:00 AM
Hi Brandykins, I know nothing about canine epilepsy but if she gets hot because of her thick coat... perhaps she could get a haircut?

My puppy Nigredo did overheat last summer and I'm almost certain he will need a haircut to prevent this when this summer comes around.

He was not fluffy when I got him so this came as a surprise!
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

12-01-2014, 11:39 AM
Many thanks, MF. Loki can't have her coat cut or trimmed - here is a photo of her

I can trim her "boots" on her back legs and I do keep her well combed with her rake comb, but that is about all I can do. She has a triple coat!

When it was so hot during our summer last year, I put a cold damp towel over her to keep her cool - she loved it

Many thanks again
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

12-01-2014, 12:38 PM
Rose - Loki is such a beautiful girl - why oh why does the Monster have to hit our beloved ones? I honestly do not know how you manage being in an apartment that is so far from the ground - at least I can let Pereg out when she needs it.

I am not sure but I think that your Loki and Linda's Loki are somehow related? And that if epilepsy is in the line then it can occur - and then you get my scruffpot mutt Pereg who just happens to have Idiopathic Epilepsy as there is no way of knowing what breeds are in her background.

I was in the Epi List International weekly chatroom yesterday evening and there was someone from the US, one from Canada, one from Wales, one from England, one from New Zealand, and myself. All with epis and apart from two GSDs the others were all different breeds - I think Pereg was the only mutt but all our dogs have been struck by the Monster.

I hate it so much.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >