View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2013, 09:34 AM
I agree about the displaying your fear. But to be honest, if someone IS frightened how the hell can they hide the fact?

I also agree not to reward bad behaviour. But if the alternative to chucking a biscuit to distract is having a chunk taken out of your arm?

I've said many times that, much as I love GSDs, my reasons for never getting another one were mainly to do with me becoming OLDER, nowhere near as strong and thinking I wouldn't be able to easily control one until I'd trained it to walk without pulling. Not just fear of being pulled over but thinking of the damage to my arm/shoulder of being constantly pulled. And, not least because if it SHOULD get into a dodgy situation - I do not want to own a dog that I cannot PHYSICALLY take out of the situation, if not pick it up at least be able to easily drag it away.

Lynn has said that she used to be terrified of all dogs. Sounds to me as if the situation with Dillon at the mo is bringing some of that fear back.

The dog I spoke about that I couldn't take a chance on keeping was a big dog. Not as big as dillon - lab sized but a big shaggy dog. Only when I tried to physically REMOVE it from my kitchen to the back yard did I realise how difficult it can be to get a big dog to do something it doesn't want to do! I was thirty years younger and stronger then but I still recall trying to move that dog that had sat down and was not co operating - felt like trying to push pull and shove an elephant along!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2013, 09:36 AM
June things have really tightened up with Blue Badges, I think because of the abuse.
It is no longer anything to do with your surgery.
I have had to apply via the council, pay £10, fill in a long questionaire, I have waited 3 months and now I have to see an occupational therapist.
If I was on benefits then apparently it would have been issued without all this palava. A neighbour on disability allowance just rang up and got his in the post the next day.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Ah, my mum was on disability benefits, I remember she needed a letter from the doctor as well. All councils will be different I expect.
Nippy as you are using Red to help you get about aren't you able to claim some sort of mobility allowance
I really hope you get the badge, will stop the Jobsworths giving you a £50 ticket for an hour's outing for a start!!!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
will stop the Jobsworths giving you a £50 ticket for an hour's outing for a start!!!
Hahaha they let me off that.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-11-2013, 09:48 AM
I know they did, but the very fact it happened was bad
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2013, 09:49 AM
good luck nippy - easy to say don't stress but to be honest stressing won't affect the outcome of your application. Time to stress is if the outcome isn't what you wanted!

Then I will join in and stress with you!
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2013, 09:51 AM
Morning all...

Sorry I am a bit AWOL now, but I do try to read and catch up, but it was gone eleven last night when I got on here

Hope all is well with and the roadworks, dog walking, visits, getting a blue badge, hope that goes well, and interior design all goes well

So sorry to see you are having problems with Dillon, Lynn. maybe with all the upheaval, before and after moving and you not settling too well and not having Gorden home as much is all a bit much for Dillon? I agree with TW, I think it may be the "teenager" thing kicking in and with all thats gone on, it seems worse than normal. Please dont do anything rash, you may regret it when are feeling better xx

I have got my one of my mates coming over in a bit, she took on a rescue GSD a few months ago, it was his 7th home in his two years of age bless him, she has some big problems with him, and he attacked her elderly dog, then her other GSD the other night, so I think she may have him PTS, which I thing is maybe the best thing for him, he has been let down by so many people before her, and as I have told her, you cant fix every dog, and there are worse things than being PTS.

I am fetching chicken carcases and shopping later. I will try to get the housework done and fire laid before I go. It is cold but sunny here. I will be trawling the internet for a van, which seems my daily task just now. Eversuffering husband not home till tomorrow afternoon.

Have a good day, will try to catch up later.
Gellygoo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Darn it, just lost a huge post....will try again

Morning all, hope you are well

LYNN, so sorry that you are feeling low and that Dillon seems to be picking up on this and acting up. Hopefully, you will feel better soon and he will settle into the dog you know he can be, not this teenage monster!! Hugs for you.

At the mo I'm faffing about trying to find a decent energy tariff to change to.....I have my suspicions that they are ALL thieving barstewards!! Anyone with any ideas please let me know, I keep thinking I've found one then read the reviews which frighten the life out of me......people not getting switched but paying the direct debits or ending up with only one being switched not both!!! Help!!! Scaredy cat here lol. My supplier said they would call be back after I was on hold for 30 mins.....but that was Monday. Ive just asked them to ring via the auto thingy so lets see if they ring today.
Does anyone use First Utilities which SOUND good???

That's my rant then!

Have a good day everybody
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Nippy - Thanks for the tip - can you take Nightall with wine?

I fall asleep really easily as I'm so tired - it's just staying asleep that's the problem. Good luck with the assessment.

Malka - Argh, that is just awful to have to put up with. Everything crossed for you that he is true to his word.

Lynn - I really feel for you - what a horrible position to be in. I do remember Loki being a bit like that when he was young. I remember an incident over the fields where he was playfully attacking me and I got really angry with him. It was a real battle of wills at times until he got a bit older.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2013, 10:04 AM
I feel sure Lynn won't be doing anything 'rash' anyway. It's not rash to speak to the breeder as a first step.

But would like to think she can post here just 'thinking aloud, letting off steam, or express her worst worries' without feeling bad about doing so.

Sometimes it really helps to discuss stuff out in the open to get a proper perspective on it, rather than sit stewing all on your own and just getting it looming larger and larger in your mind.

And when you aren't feeling in the least bit positive or confident about yourself or anything else - is not the best time to undertake new ventures - like enrolling in classes or whatever. Most people have to be feeling a bit better than that to even think about it or take the first steps.
Page 3 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »