View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 01:58 PM
Only just caught up with what's been going on here with poor Flash cos last time I saw you Jenny, it was when you said he was fine, so this is a big shock to see he went downhill so much overnight

Thank goodness you have a good, regular vet who knows all about Flash's problems, and I'm sure with what he's now prescribed, Flash will pick up again and want to eat something after a good sleep.

Hope you're having a nice sleep too Jenny, all this worry really drains you doesn't it. Hope to hear a good update later on your dear Flash, poor little guy.xxxx
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:16 PM
I hope she's having a Helena 'nanny nap'.
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:42 PM
I'd just muzzle him every time he goes out of the house. Better safe than sorry and he'll soon get used to wearing one.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Sorry to be reading this and I hope that he is feeling a little better and you have had a bit of sleep.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Thanks for all the comments.

When he's not asleep which is most of the time he seems quite perky which is great. He's had a small amount of food but I have to admit I'm very nervous about it going through him in case it triggers another haemorrhage. Time will tell

I'll update later.
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2013, 05:51 PM
Hope hes feeling better soon my friends dog had this and he was in a very bad way didnt realise he could get it again so easily
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 06:55 PM
Just turned on my computer and this is most definitely not what I wanted to read

Jenny you must be feeling like a bit of wet string right now, but hopefully your lovely vet is on top of things and Flash will soon be back to his normal self.

Those of us who have dogs with recurring problems can never relax can we, but it makes the good bits so much more enjoyable!

Huge good luck wishes coming your way.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-11-2013, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
he said that was no problem and perfectly natural as dogs with excess acid will eat moss, grass, cardboard ... anything to soak up the acid.
Hi Jenny, I was in a rush this afternoon and my post 19 was made before I read your report of the vet visit. It looks like the treatment is going to help and I'm sending all the vibes I can as I've grown to like both your dogs.

Thank you for the comment on excess acid, it's always puzzled me and people have told me various things, none of which really seemed logical to me, but your vets explanation is the most logical I've ever read.

Rianna sometimes eats grass, but it's rare that she does, now at least I know why, thanks again,
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 08:12 PM
Big hugs here Jenny; I hope the treatment has a big effect really quickly.

Get lots of rest if you can and take care.
xxx
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 09:35 PM
Thanks again everyone.
I took him out in the garden at about 6.00 and thankfully he only did a wee again which is great. He's had 3 very small meals (a tablespoonful each time) and all is fine still. I am still really scared about him doing a poo as that can be a real trigger for bleeding. Having said that, as he was so empty I'm hoping that nothing will happen until tomorrow in that department and by then the meds will have got it all under control.

Originally Posted by kat14778 View Post
Hope hes feeling better soon my friends dog had this and he was in a very bad way didnt realise he could get it again so easily
Unfortunately once they have had HGE they are more prone to it but that doesn't mean they will get it again. This is the second time he's had it though, the last time was in August but he is a dreadful scavenger.

Sally- Thanks but at least this time I knew what it was immediately and was waiting at the vets when they opened. It's very true what you say in that we appreciate the good times so much more. What I find galling is that the vet is pretty sure that it is self-inflicted from eating rubbish. So he may have to wear a muzzle when off lead, or remain on the lead which I don't want. At least I now have a spare course of abs so that I get him on them even quicker ... like you and Jimmi's paws and his meds.

Losos - Yes, it is interesting about the moss, grass etc isn't it and it does make perfect sense. Tawneywolf said that when her last litter was born, the mum (Cariad?) was eating charcoal from the fireside when she had a bad tum. So we have to assume our dogs know best .... well Flash clearly does't some of the time or wouldn't eat all the nasty stuff in the first place.

Thanks L.S. much appreciated. You of all people know how awful it is when we have a dog unwell.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >