View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-05-2013, 09:45 AM
We've not scoped out all the pubs here but so far the ones we've been to have all had dogs in them, which is the way it should be in my eyes

That's a good idea cartrinsparkles, I'll take my clicker next time. Need to buy a new one as I seem to have lost mine.. I agree it can't be more annoying than some of the things going on in pubs

My boyfriend and his family used to take their dogs to the dorset steam fair when he was younger and they had a boxer who always went round sneakily lapping out of drunk people's drinks when they were held too low, without them noticing He just loved beer!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Never have being a pub frequenter - and way back then there were no such things as pub gardens or even sandwiches on offer, my husband had to meet a couple on business and because they lived quite a way up north it was arranged that we would meet in a pub in the Bushey/Watford Hertfordshire area.

I went along, not with a dog but with a four week old human baby - and was not permitted to take her into the pub as "children are not allowed".
Ooooo that is GUARANTEED to start me off!! Like children/babies are not human beings?? I HATED it when children were banned from pubs like they were some alien species. Well-behaved dogs, well-behaved kids and well-behaved adults - that's what pubs should be all about. Our local welcomes dogs but only tolerates humans - I like that!! There are so many amazing pubs across Britain that welcome kids and dogs, it is such a shame when they discriminate against either or both IMO.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by Polarbear2008 View Post
That's what we got our dog for - taking everywhere with us . And as you say, if dogs aren't allowed, we don't go either!
We don't have many pubs near us that allow dogs, I wish we did so we could use them to boost Bailiie's confidence a little. Instead we have to wait each year for our holiday in Cornwall as every other pub allows doggies down there, it's fab
I'm liking the sound of the Fishermans Arms in Newlyn, may have to pay it a visit in September; best not tell the OH about the best Cornish pasty in the world though as we may not go anywhere else!

North Norfolk is a great place for doggie pubs - of particular note is The Vernon Arms in South Repps and the Gunton Arms on the main road coming out of Cromer going towards Norwich. North Devon was another amazing place for doggie pubs - the Oxenham Arms is an amazing pub in mid Devon in a village called South Oxenham I think it was. The Watermill Inn in Cumbria allows dogs even in the restaurant - after breakfast, the waitress will bring out all the scraps of bacon etc. from the plates and left-overs for all the well-behaved dogs!

The Fountain Inn in Rowlands Castle in Hampshire is another great doggie venue.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by Lol69 View Post
Jasper has been going in pubs since he was a pup. Most of the pubs around here are dog friendly luckily and Jasper has been in 83 different pubs. Not sure what that says about the owners
It says you're pissheads like me and OH!!
Hippo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-05-2013, 12:04 PM

Nothing better than a pooch and a pint!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by Hippo View Post

Nothing better than a pooch and a pint!
Very cute picture
Pookin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2013, 08:02 PM
My favourite pub is normally thick with dogs, last time we went there were four dogs in there not including my friends dog. He behaved horribly and generally was a nuisance not like the ther dogs, I secretly wished she'd left him at home lol
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2013, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
North Norfolk is a great place for doggie pubs - of particular note is The Vernon Arms in South Repps and the Gunton Arms on the main road coming out of Cromer going towards Norwich. North Devon was another amazing place for doggie pubs - the Oxenham Arms is an amazing pub in mid Devon in a village called South Oxenham I think it was. The Watermill Inn in Cumbria allows dogs even in the restaurant - after breakfast, the waitress will bring out all the scraps of bacon etc. from the plates and left-overs for all the well-behaved dogs!

The Fountain Inn in Rowlands Castle in Hampshire is another great doggie venue.
I just looked at the Oxenham Arms, its in South Zeal near Dartmoor. Looks great so may give it a try next week whilst we are in Devon
It's about an hour from where we are staying but we could do it after a day out..... Thanks for the suggestion

Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by Polarbear2008 View Post
I just looked at the Oxenham Arms, its in South Zeal near Dartmoor. Looks great so may give it a try next week whilst we are in Devon
It's about an hour from where we are staying but we could do it after a day out..... Thanks for the suggestion

We stayed there, my daughter and I, for a wedding. They are lovely people, they had a gorgeous labrador I remember. The breakfasts were AMAZING!! Lashings of coffee and gorgeous home made croissants. It wasn't cheap, but both the hotel side of things and the bar was fab. Daughter and I had dreadful hangovers, and the owner kept bringing cafetieres of coffee, croissants and freshly squeezed orange juice to sober us up before the long drive home.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2013, 12:17 PM
It's rare I go to a pub but I dont take my dogs with me when I do. The exception to that is if I pop in one on the way back from walking them. If it's nice we sit in the pub garden, if it's not they stay in the car, I wouldnt take them inside with me.

I dont mind seeing dogs in pubs providing they are well behaved and not getting in the way. However, I cant stand dogs in pubs where people are eating. My experience in that area has not been good.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >