Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
I use BAT (similar to what you are suggesting) which is when he sees another dog and at the very first sign of a reaction - that could be a yawn but invariably a grunt, then I cheerfully call his name and walk away. When we come across a dog in a confined area - say an alleyway, I call him, treat him etc.. and move quickly!

It is hard work having a feisty reactive dog isn't it?
Oh right, ok and yeah it can be hard, like I said I hope you find a way that works for you both.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2013, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
I'm going to get one soon. Where I live they're having group walks, I'm not sure I could walk very close to another dog but the leader suggested that if we have nervous or dogs generally that need space then we bring our yellow ribbons.
Maybe the group walks will be positive for his reputation too if people heard more about why he is the way he is. On a group walk he may also stop reacting so much due to flooding. You may even find that, if they have regular group walks, that he learns to tolerate familiar dogs walking with him. Fingers crossed for you both! He certainly is lucky to have found a home with someone who is working with him and not resorting to harsh methods.
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2013, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Maybe the group walks will be positive for his reputation too if people heard more about why he is the way he is. On a group walk he may also stop reacting so much due to flooding. You may even find that, if they have regular group walks, that he learns to tolerate familiar dogs walking with him. Fingers crossed for you both! He certainly is lucky to have found a home with someone who is working with him and not resorting to harsh methods.
Ditto. I have seen many reactive rescue dogs on group walks. They seem to be overwhelmed by the number of dogs and tend to behave very well. I'm sure they quickly realise they couldn't take on the whole lot.
If your dog is muzzled, I'm sure someone will be ok walking in parallel with you.

Another thing to consider re the incident when your dog had a go at the dogs behind the fence, is possible resource guarding. He had seen chickens first. He may have been reacting because he wanted them and was guarding his resource? I'll try and find you a link for that.
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2013, 09:05 PM
http://www.clickertraining.com/node/3339

The reason I'm posting this is because I never though either of my dogs resource guarded. I have always dropped food in their bowls when eating. They sit nicely whilst taking alternate treats etc. They eat together and respect each others space.

Lately, we have been having a cat come into our garden regularly. We have a gate between the patio and the lawn. The cat knows this and waves 2 claws at the dogs as it comes in to watch the birds feeding. George, GSD has taken it as his job to cat watch, either through the back door, which is glass or through the gate. Yesterday, Zoe, our Lab, spotted a cat coming under the back garden gate and barked, charging at the inner gate. George charged out and snapped at her, catching her ear. I'm pretty sure he was resource guarding "The cat is mine". I may be wrong? Just thought your situation seemed similar?
I'll have my work cut out now the nice weather is here with open doors etc.

I realise the video is for multi dog household but giving the other dog a lower value treat and yours a really high value one, may help?
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2013, 07:30 AM
Thank you both for your observations and advice, the group walk start on Monday so I'm hoping to be back in time to participate. Others have chipped in with their anxieties about group walks so hopefully no one will be offended by another asking them to keep their dog at a distance. I hope there are a lot of dogs and I suspect he'll be fine whilst we're moving but if and when we stop for a breather that's when he's likely to look for trouble and I'm convinced it's to do with frustration - he doesn't like being on his lead because he can't go and do what he likes, nor can he expend his energy and consequently gets frustrated and takes it out on others. I often do obedience training with him in the field on his long lead, just bog standard sit and stay, down and stay, just to address his self-control issues more than anything else, but yesterday I was tired and wanted to get home so I think he found the walk boring.

I know what you mean about a resource guarder, my last dog was a resource guarder, if a dog came near her when she had her ball she would really lose it! Bax doesn't seem to be quite so bothered, interestingly when he's had his boomer ball which he would happily die for, other dogs have approached and he's been indifferent to them even when they sniff it. I of course feel like I'm going to have a heart attack when that happens.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2013, 07:35 AM
Not sure if I've suggested this before but someone I know has sighthounds with minimal recall and so once a week she hires out a n indoor equestrian centre for them to have a good blast. I think she only pays a tenner for the hour. I bet your boy would benefit from that.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3