View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bella7
New Member!
Female 

13-11-2012, 07:41 PM
I've literally just bought a jar of extra virgin organic coconut oil today (h&b £16.55 for 500g) to give to my Westie Zac. I read on the internet about the health benefits both for us and our four legged friends so as my westie also suffers from skin allergies it's got to be worth a try! It's more like a lard consistency than a 'oil' and read you give 1/2 teaspoon per 10lb weight split into twice a day, so a dog weighing 10lb would get 1/4 teaspoon say in morning and other 1/4 teaspoon teatime. I gave him his dose and he loved it just ate it neat - he is a gannet tho!

Don't know how long it will be before we see the the benefits but fingers crossed it helps.
reg7
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Hi dragonfly, I've heard its good for their skin as well as in their food, and its good for us, so its got to be worth a shot. I would like to say yes to RAW, but time with a disabled wife and near 75 myself I would find it hard going, thanks for your input, reg7
reg7
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Hi again bella7, I've got to try CO its been recommended by so many, hope it helps your lad, good luck, reg7
bella7
New Member!
Female 

13-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Thanks I'll let you know how we get on.
Elliesowner
New Member!
Female 

04-03-2014, 12:30 AM
Our Westie was itch free, until we moved from UK to South Carolina. This forced a change in diet, exposure to all sorts of biting insects, new pollens and heartworm prevention treatment, all of which could have triggered the itchy skin. Our vet seems to be a big fan of steroid treatment (unlike me!). So I have spent hours on the internet looking for a more holistic treatment. We are currently trying lavender oil, diluted in olive oil as a topical treatment, and we are rubbing coconut oil on the reddened areas. However, our westie has developed a taste for the coconut oil, and enjoys a teaspoon daily. Although she still has red areas, she is no longer constantly scratching. This is still only week one, so, i will keep you updated.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2014, 08:26 AM
From everything I read on the web, coconut oil is being hailed as the new miracle cure for just about everything (for humans and dogs!) with antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties.

If anything like that is guaranteed 'safe' and administered according to instructions (re quantity etc) I don't think it will do any harm. But, if it really was a miracle cure for anything - well there wouldn't still be so many dogs with the problems being talked about - JMHO.

I'm sure Coconut Oil has been discussed on here at length before - maybe if you do a search of the forum you will find some more info?

*if it were my dog I'd be willing to try anything new that I was sure wasn't harmful. But I'd be wary of trying and/or using too many different things at once or even too soon one after the other. I don't see how you can judge benefits like that as some stuff takes quite a while before the 'benefits' of it can be seen.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-03-2014, 09:37 AM
It does seem to be hailed as a bit of a cure all, and I was very sceptical tbh. I've used it on my hair for years and my son got me to give up the likes of sunflower oil and olive oil in favour of coconut oil. So I had it in the house anyway when I read on another forum that it was great for curing smelly dog breath. Tucson my Pug was a bit smelly tbh and I couldn't figure what it was causing it. Her face is cleaned daily and her breath didn't appear to smell, her teeth are excellent. I didn't expect it to work if I'm honest but after one dose there was a noticeable improvement so I continued with it. She loves it and it appears to be working. I melt it and pour it over her raw food.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-03-2014, 10:17 AM
I pay ~£7.78 for a 20oz [591ml] jar of Cold-pressed and unrefined, certified organic coconut oil. In the winter my kitchen is very cold and it tends to solidify at temperatures below 26°C [78°F] but if I want it liquid I just put the jar in the microwave for maybe ten seconds.

I use it for the very little frying I do [mostly stir-fries], liquid on salads and on Pereg's food, and it is brilliant for dry hair and dry skin.

It especially nice when spread on wholegrain toast!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3