View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GraceLilian
New Member!
Female 

20-10-2012, 12:43 PM
I have this problem at work!! Stanley is a boston terrier, and for about 10-20 minutes a day he goes mental! picking other dogs up by their harnesses, if we are on a walk, he decides he is the dog walker and drags the other dogs along. It seems to the only way to get him out of it is to take him over the park at let him off lead for a very long run, only now i'm thinking he has learnt bad behaviour- long walk? However, he is still only a pup, well about 10 months, but still a pup mentally. Very much hoping he will grow out of it!
Jesss
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
These are my dog's food dispensing toys. They really are worth every penny if you are having problems with a pup. You will notice a bowl at the back which never gets used.

Wow! What on earth are they all? And where are they from? I have bought two kongs today, i hav the tube kong but they aren't easy to stuff and he didn't have the patience to stick it out- my other dog stealt it every time i use it!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Maxine, we have the Twister puzzle, I love it

What's the new Company of Animals grass toy like? Does it get emptied very quickly?
labaddicted91
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2012, 03:14 PM
We have the bone puzzle
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Deanoh View Post
If you watch two pups play fighting, one will bite a bit too hard, the other will yelp and the game will stop for a while.
They are learning "bite inhibition". I have always tried to copy this behaviour so that my dogs are always aware that their teeth can hurt. If the bite is too hard then I yelp and the game stops for a while..................................
Actually puppies learn bite inhibition from their mothers & other adult dogs they interact with.

Having bred a few litters & puppies sat for a good deal more, in "nest"you will often get one or more puppies biting another & the more the one getting nipped yelps the more the others nip. Usually the mother will intervene & break up the behaviour simply by being there & distracting all the puppies.

Your puppy should not be seeing humans as another puppy, but as more of an adult & adults will put up with quite a lot of nipping & will usually give a low grump & get up & move away to stop the behaviour before the puppy"licence"ends(usually around 6 months or so)& after the puppy licence the adult will gently stop the behavior with a paw on the head or a more meaningful grump & ever a show of teeth.

My collies are brilliant non contact snappers when the puppy no longer has the puppy"licence"& the behaviour usually stops PDQ if it raises it's head. Most of my puppies have stopped nipping well before 6 months as they have learnt that it counter productive.

Using the yelping can be counterproductive especially with terriers & can increase the nipping & hanging on !
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by Jesss View Post
Wow! What on earth are they all? And where are they from? I have bought two kongs today, i hav the tube kong but they aren't easy to stuff and he didn't have the patience to stick it out- my other dog stealt it every time i use it!
He will get frustrated to start with, but you can help a little by banging the Kong on the floor to loosen up the contents so he can get them out. Persevere with them, once he has got the hang of it you will regard them as a really useful tool to maintaining your sanity! I give them to my other dogs as well so there is no need to steal each others.

The other toys are brilliant, the dogs have to open little doors and turn a wheel to get the food out of the blue one. Initially Tia got really cross with it and was flinging it round her crate in a huff. She is now so fast that I bought her the mauve one this morning which is a LOT harder. If you look on my "whoop whoop puppy" thread you will find a video of her using the red Kong with the hole in.

The Kongs came from regular pet suppliers but the other interactive toys came from The Company of Animals where we go for our classes. You can buy them on the Internet though.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Maxine, we have the Twister puzzle, I love it

What's the new Company of Animals grass toy like? Does it get emptied very quickly?
We haven't tried the Twister puzzle yet as we only got it this morning. Tia had her lunch out of the grass toy and she didn't manage to empty it, she gave up and went to sleep. I would have thought Cain would take a very long time because his nose is so much bigger. He will have to use his tongue and his paws to move the food out.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by labaddicted91 View Post
We have the bone puzzle
Do you still use it?
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
We haven't tried the Twister puzzle yet as we only got it this morning. Tia had her lunch out of the grass toy and she didn't manage to empty it, she gave up and went to sleep. I would have thought Cain would take a very long time because his nose is so much bigger. He will have to use his tongue and his paws to move the food out.
Awww bless her, how cute The Twister is quite tricky but it's fine if you follow the DVD and take the dog through the steps so they can work it out themselves. It'llkeep her busy!

I'm hoping the CoA have the grass toy at Discover Dogs so I can have a good look, I'm quite tempted to buy one.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Awww bless her, how cute The Twister is quite tricky but it's fine if you follow the DVD and take the dog through the steps so they can work it out themselves. It'llkeep her busy!

I'm hoping the CoA have the grass toy at Discover Dogs so I can have a good look, I'm quite tempted to buy one.
It's a shame you're not closer you could join my toy library!
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >