Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Precisely, this dog ALREADY sleeps upstairs, therefore a different approach is indicated.........
I think the dog sleeping upstairs is irrelevant.The dog doesn't like being home alone. That is the thing that needs to be addressed. Most dogs follow their owners when they are in- focusing on that is deceptive.
matty6
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-10-2012, 06:44 PM
So I think we all agree it is a tricky situation to deal with. I appreciate all the help and advice... We will try insisting she sleeps on in her own basket or crate in our room ( but in can get a little tiring moving her off our bed onto her own 5/6/7 times a night) . I will keep you posted on how we get on.. I also think if we gave her the run of all the downstairs, she would just jump up and scratch at the front door and jump to sit in the front window ( note she has been there a few times when I have arrived home from work)...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
matty6
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Thank you smoke bear. I think you mentioned before about over dependancy . I don't think she suffers with this she is fine as long as someone is with her neighbour, relative etc etc... Thanks again
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by matty6 View Post
So I think we all agree it is a tricky situation to deal with. I appreciate all the help and advice... We will try insisting she sleeps on in her own basket or crate in our room ( but in can get a little tiring moving her off our bed onto her own 5/6/7 times a night) . I will keep you posted on how we get on.. I also think if we gave her the run of all the downstairs, she would just jump up and scratch at the front door and jump to sit in the front window ( note she has been there a few times when I have arrived home from work)...
It is a tricky one to deal with but not impossible My girl was 5 when we got her and a nightmare with SA, it takes time but you can get there
Doesn't have to be all if downstairs, maybe just the kitchen or hallway? You could use stairgates?
If it's not feasible just make sure the downstairs space
She stays in is always associated with fun- never punish her by putting her in there and think about always giving her her meals in there if you don't already.
Try to see what she loves in terms
of kong filling and be inventive so it keeps her going for a while. Mine adore frozen nature diet in theirs but they also love chopped
Apple and carrot with cheese spread

Good luck, keep us posted.
matty6
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-10-2012, 08:45 PM
We have tried the stair gate between kitchen and living room but she is so determined she pushes it over... Maybe I could look at strengthening this and limit her to kitchen, back porch and then she has dog flap to go in the secured back garden? Will try her fave foods in kong... She loves tuna!! Will keep u posted... I'm just so worried we had to have our last dog put down at the age of 3 due his aggression towards us... And really really want to make this work with our gorgeous little Labrador! Thanks for ur help
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2012, 05:50 AM
We have tried the stair gate between kitchen and living room but she is so determined she pushes it over... Maybe I could look at strengthening this and limit her to kitchen, back porch and then she has dog flap to go in the secured back garden? Will try her fave foods in kong... She loves tuna!! Will keep u posted... I'm just so worried we had to have our last dog put down at the age of 3 due his aggression towards us... And really really want to make this work with our gorgeous little Labrador! Thanks for ur help
Treat her with patience and kindness at all times. Don't shout, train her gently. Never watch any Caesar Milan and you should be okay.
Try strengthening the gates, you can buy specific dog ones.
You can add tuna into her kong and freeze it. Get her a big, tough kong. Also try the dog pyramid or treat ball for her dry food but remember to remove them as soon as you come in ( swap them for a small treat )
My two also love to munch on carrots ( which you can also freeze). Your girl will be going through a secondary teething phase soon, so that would also help ease that for her.
Good luck.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2012, 05:54 AM
Remember- what she is seeing when you leave her is you putting her into solitary confinement When trying to sort it out and change that mindset- what would you yourself need?

As an aside, when she is lying alone when you are in, calmy, do you ever reward her for it? Walk by, gently give her a treat or even just a very calm tickle and quiet 'good girl' so often people neglect to do that and it's common sense Praise what you want, ignore what you don't
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2012, 06:10 AM
Thank you smoke bear. I think you mentioned before about over dependancy . I don't think she suffers with this she is fine as long as someone is with her neighbour, relative etc etc... Thanks again
Well she is dependent on ANY company not just YOURS.

This is what differentiates "over attachment" from "separation anxiety".

So the fact that your dog does not care who they are with as long as they are with someone helps focus the mind on what the actual problem is re the SA.

It does not materially affect the way it needs to be treated though.

Separation Anxiety is a "syndrome" which means there are a collection of behaviours exhibited by dogs and also a collection of triggers/causes.
matty6
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Ok the plan from us now is to carry on letting her sleep in our room, in her basket (she did this last night few times she came to get on our bed I said basket and she went back and settled so I praised her) so we plan to continue that. With regards to downstairs I have tonight strengthened the dog gate between the living room and kitchen so we can now leave her with run of kitchen back porch and back garden.. Hopefully she will settle better in the kitchen. When leaving her we will try to do it gradually and also leave favourite toys, kong with frozen tuna for her... Any advice on the above??
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >