Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by alexgirl73 View Post
Oh someone else suffers from this then . In my minds eye I am still the young, pretty 20 yr old, with nary a wrinkle, sagging jaw or drooping eyelid in sight. In the mirror at home (I only ever look in the bedroom one which is in low light ) I can still pretend that is what is reflected at me. However sit down in the hairdressers chair with my hair hanging in rats tails about me and my fringe combed back and it's a different story I can see the wrinkles on my forehead (and the horrible spots that seem to be plaguing me, nearly 39 and I have acne like a teenager!!!), the square shape my face seems to have become and I want to slink under the chair lol. This is why I only have my hair cut about once a year, and I will be one of those old ladies with looooooooong white hair sticking out in every direction
Thank goodness for fellow sympathisers like you! I too will probably become one of those old ladies, but I do draw the line at white hair sticking out of my chin

Originally Posted by dave2003 View Post
they should be banned!!! i hate catching a glimpse of myself in them cos it ain't pretty !
As the hairdressers rarely look in the things themselves, why oh why do they have to be sooooooo CLEAR?

Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
I am lucky because when I take off my glasses I can't see myself very well in the mirror!
Hence my deciding on dark glasses for the next visit!

Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
We have a really bright mirror in the loo at work.

I always think I look just fine, until I go in there.....

x
Not good is it........it seems these mirrors are sneaking in everywhere.

Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Sorry but that really made me smile - it sounded soooo familiar.

Mind you the last one I went to was a bit better - it was on the first floor overlooking a busy shopping street and the mirror reflected nearly the whole street....I spent the whole time watching other people shopping rather than staring at myself, it was a much better experience!
A television instead of a mirror would be good

Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I cannot remember the last time I went to a hairdresser - I cut my own hair and it is mostly by feel so I do not need a mirror! It is a lot cheaper too!
I simply could not trust myself to do it properly.....would probably end up like a scarecrow. It's bad enough having the "face" without adding to the nightmare!

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I have a friend come round and cut mine for me occasionally. No mirrors are involved.
Get a freelance in.
Trouble is, the reports on most freelancers around here are not good There must be one though surely.

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
The OP really made me laugh out loud. Oh so familiar a tale!

I HATE looking at myself in the hairdressers mirror (shop changing room mirrors appear to have the same effect!) and so I tend to either look at my feet a lot or look beyond myself in the mirror to the reflection of the rest of the shop and hope there is something more appealing to look at for 2 hours!
I get told off if I look at my feet - she really is a sadist and demands that I hold my head up and look straight ahead

Originally Posted by tink View Post
It's the lighting Most Salon's use fluorescent and/or spotlights. Wearing a full face of make up is usually in the rules..well it has been at most salons i've worked at and when you're working in them day in day out you kind of get to know how much to slap on to look half decent I work for myself nowadays and don't miss the amount of make up i used to have to wear at all
Actually, come to think of it, the beautiful face behind me DID look a bit covered in makeup.

Originally Posted by Northernsoulgirl View Post
I sympathise and agree completely.
I don't go to salons anymore - I go to a girl who does it in her own home but I tend to look everywhere but in front of me and when she shows me the back I skim over it quickly and say,' yes fine'...........
I went to the dentist yesterday and had some impressions done and she gave me a small mirror and a tissue to wipe the pink bits off my face and lips and the same thing happened I couldn't wipe my face quick enough. I thought I looked okay when I left home, but something happened between home and the dentist....sigh.......I was very vain when I was younger and if I say so myself brushed up very nicely, but now........... hate this getting old business.........
Oh lord yes, the dental hygienists mirror........forgot about that one, and I do have an appointment for next week.
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I just close my eyes and let them get on with it. I find all mirrors are of the fairground type these days. They make you look fat and ugly when you know damn well you are still young, slim and drop dead gorgeous
Quite true. It is a conspiracy to make all of us stunning youngsters feel less good about ourselves for some reason Dammit, I would just settle for looking a healthy somewhere in my sixties instead of an anaemic octogenarian.

Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
Its not the hair/face I have a problem with. Its full length mirrors in the changing rooms that tell the horrible truth
Or shop windows.

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
You mean you didn't put that make up on using one of those magnifying mirrors before you went to that hairdressers then Sally? Once you've put on the slap staring into one of those, a normal mirror makes you look fab!

It's not so much the mirror, it's when they put that horrible rubber thing around your neck to cut your hair, it does nothing for ya does it, especially with a horrible round necked, black robe which accentuates a chicken neck lol! I speak for meself here Sally! That's the only place I got any wrinkles, and I don't even have them there until they put that robe and rubber stuff on me!

The best part for me is when they take all that off and my new hairstyle has taken 10 years off me when I look in that mirror of theirs (hasn't happened lately coz I've had two c*ap haircuts in this new town!). I hope the new hair took the edge off a bit for ya!
Hmm, will try the trick of using the magnifying side of my mirror then old bean.......if I can stand it That rubber thing and the black robe are both designed to make you feel and look ghastly doncha know, so that when they remove them - hey presto - you cannot fail to see some improvement! Hope you manage to find yourself a decent hairdresser, men are usually best I find but unfortunately my last one emigrated to New Zealand. Failing that, grow your hair and put it up every morning in an immacualte french plait..........you will then, of course, also have to wear tweed skirts and pearls for the gardening and for walking Zena.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2012, 07:04 PM
I can't see very well without glasses so I look fab when looking in the hairdressers mirror lol

Helen
jenstina
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-09-2012, 07:29 PM
This thread has really tickled me, it seems there's a lot of us in the same boat
Fortunately for me, once I've taken my specs off my reflection is a big blur, too!
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2012, 07:36 AM
Being a Hairdresser approaching 40 and having to look into them every day when i usually have a young pretty 20 something sat in front of me does nothing for my self esteem either,all i notice nowadays is my wrinkles when i'm working
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
I am lucky because when I take off my glasses I can't see myself very well in the mirror!
Yup, that's what I like. I have to take my specs off, can't see a thing then
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3