Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

25-08-2012, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
As soon as you can, try to get your dog out to mix with some friendly dogs. It will help both you and him to get over the experience.
Indeed, an you need to stay calm and relaxed if your dog appears nervous around other dogs. Be careful not to overwhelm, but at the same time lots of conditioning around other dogs now
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2012, 08:06 AM
When incidents like this happen, emotions (naturally) run high and we do get (rightly) protective of our dogs but we also sometimes let our feelings run away with us.

99% of all such encounters are all mouth and no trousers. Dogs are not stupid, they know they carry around 42 lethal weapons and it can appear that your dog is on the end of a vicious calculated attack.

It rarely is and actually once the real thing is seen, it is never forgotton.

If you google you can see no end of OTT play between dogs which can look terrifying to some people.

Now, I am not saying it is not right to be concerned and take affront at such incidents, EVERYONE has the right to walk unmolested by other people/dogs; and fear is very powerful.

I think the problem is that as owners WE (and I use the term deliberately) can be guilty of assuming that because WE know our dogs very well somehow complete strangers also do.

One of the reasons I explain to owners how important it is to consider the picture they and their dog present to other people.

YOU may know that your dog, standing on its hind legs, barking and screaming is merely frustrated at being denied the pleasure of interacting with another dog; to another owner it looks as though the Hound of the Baskervilles is about to shred their Fido!

Also, breed can be an issue, a Labrador which exhibits this behaviour is not going to be perceived in the same was as a GSD/Rottweiler etc.

So as previously said, deep breaths, chalk it up to experience and move on.

Unfortunately we cannot control everything and everybody else and we have to come to terms with the fact that other people will not necessarily react in the way we expect.

EVERYBODY loses a dog at some time, nobody is perfect (well apart from me of course) and I bet the owner was just embarassed and maybe did not call the dog for a reason such as the dog would ignore him anyway?

Chin up and remember old Chinese Proverb:

"Chocolate satisfies even when soft"
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

25-08-2012, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
When incidents like this happen, emotions (naturally) run high and we do get (rightly) protective of our dogs but we also sometimes let our feelings run away with us.

99% of all such encounters are all mouth and no trousers. Dogs are not stupid, they know they carry around 42 lethal weapons and it can appear that your dog is on the end of a vicious calculated attack.

It rarely is and actually once the real thing is seen, it is never forgotton.

If you google you can see no end of OTT play between dogs which can look terrifying to some people.

Now, I am not saying it is not right to be concerned and take affront at such incidents, EVERYONE has the right to walk unmolested by other people/dogs; and fear is very powerful.

I think the problem is that as owners WE (and I use the term deliberately) can be guilty of assuming that because WE know our dogs very well somehow complete strangers also do.

One of the reasons I explain to owners how important it is to consider the picture they and their dog present to other people.

YOU may know that your dog, standing on its hind legs, barking and screaming is merely frustrated at being denied the pleasure of interacting with another dog; to another owner it looks as though the Hound of the Baskervilles is about to shred their Fido!

Also, breed can be an issue, a Labrador which exhibits this behaviour is not going to be perceived in the same was as a GSD/Rottweiler etc.

So as previously said, deep breaths, chalk it up to experience and move on.

Unfortunately we cannot control everything and everybody else and we have to come to terms with the fact that other people will not necessarily react in the way we expect.

EVERYBODY loses a dog at some time, nobody is perfect (well apart from me of course) and I bet the owner was just embarassed and maybe did not call the dog for a reason such as the dog would ignore him anyway?

Chin up and remember old Chinese Proverb:

"Chocolate satisfies even when soft"
Fab explanation, and I can now speak of personal experience of the reaction to my young GSD barking compared to when Lady did it (she was just cute, he's perceived as a monster by some...)
Clarey83
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Oh no! My rescue dog got attacked a few months ago by a dog who gad been worked up by 4other dogs with irresponsible young lad owners. Luckily Milo was unharmed, but I came away with a bite on my wrist. It really shakes you up. I'm sure your pup will be fine after meeting friendly dogs again it is important that dog owners recognise the difference between attacking dog and dog running over enthusiastically to play. My dog runs like the wind and barks his head off like a nutter when he wants to play but some owners have grabbed their dogs and hurried off as if he's bitten them all the best with your puppy xx
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2012, 08:59 AM
It is also important that dog owners recognise that other dogs (and their owners) have the right NOT to be approached by a dog they do not know running ove enthusiastically to play.

That is rude.

Not all dogs WANT to play.

As in all things, consensual play is what we all aim for.
charliegirl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-08-2012, 09:18 AM
Yes having owned a GSD that looks and acts like she would tear your throat out on lead but was soft as muck, just frustrated , there is definitely a difference. And the play fights between her and my old pup used to freak people out that were watching
Thats why I called asking if it was friendly, my GSD would have done the same, the bolting bit, however, she wouldnt have been snarling and going for the neck.
charliegirl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-08-2012, 09:19 AM
It is also important that dog owners recognise that other dogs (and their owners) have the right NOT to be approached by a dog they do not know running ove enthusiastically to play.

That is rude.

Excellent piece of advice
charliegirl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-08-2012, 09:19 AM
Thankyou all for your good wishes too, its very much appreciated.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-08-2012, 09:34 AM
I think sometimes the owners are just shocked and embarrassed and that's why they appear to do or say little.

I was walking along a path earlier this week returning with Polo on his lead. A woman came through the gate with a white shepherd and a poodle X. Both off lead. I do know the woman and dogs by sight and her dogs appear pretty sociable and normally mind their own business and just play with the owner.

On this occasion, I slowed down whilst deciding my next course of action (because of Polo's reactivity). Polo whined and tensed slightly and the gsd came running and pouncing towards us. (playfully). Polo lunged and barked and the shepherd showed his teeth and pounced towards him growling, so I told it to bu**er off.

The owner would not make eye-contact with me and picked up her poodle that was following. I guess she may have thought I was cross in the way I shouted at her dog and probably embarrassed that she had allowed her dog to run on. I said "hi" and the ice was broken and she apologised.

I wasn't bothered but with an unknown dog charging up or chasing your dog it can be scary.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2012, 09:37 AM

That is rude.

Exactly. I know how many times I've heard dog owners (who obviously cannot get their dog to come back to them) yell over to me as it was bolting our way 'He only wants to PLAY!' I can usually tell the difference between a dog that intends real harm (and must say haven't personally encountered many of those in my time) and an overboisterous nutcase dog that does just go berserk with excitement when it sees a potential 'playmate'.

In a perfect world of course we would never encounter big bouncy dogs jumping up at us and bowling our dogs over in their enthusiasm! But we don't live in a perfect world (well, I don't).

I've been quite impressed with how many dog owners here in Bracknell do call out a reassurance as they see me (a stranger in town) approach with Bella. I don't remember it being like that 15 yrs ago (but then probably other dog owners don't consider you need much reassurance when you've got a GSD in tow!)

Every day here I get someone calling over to me - today this guy with two chows just yelled over as I approached 'It's OK we haven't killed one of those yet!' Yesterday an elderly man with a Staffy coming out of the wood I was going into called over - 'if yours wants to say hello - he is a softie he won't hurt it'.

We've already made some regular 'dogwalker pals' - one disabled lady with a mobility scooter has two JRT x Daxie crosses on a double lead. Lovely dogs - they take it in turn to ride on the footbed bit!'
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >