Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I have to agree with Vicki ,time to move on, the outcome was not as you wished and unless you can afford a private prosecution I am not sure what you will achieve.

Your council may be different than others, but to be honest they have acted on the information. You gave them and worked within that info, you said the dogs did not attack you. All dogs were off lead ( as tragic as it was), so not sure what else you want from them.

You did not say (or I missed it). What the actual attack involved did the dogs attack or was it due to size difference..I know the outcome was the same, but it would be interesting to know what was involved.

I think you need to try and put this behind you now, and try to move forward.
It's very difficult to move on without doing anything. I'll feel I've let him down twice .

They chased him until he stopped running, one of them picked him up by the back leg ( the owner was there at the time right next to her dog, dithering & saying drop it!) then dropped him, I assume to get a better grip, then the whole of his body execpt legs/head was in the dogs mouth which it then bit down.

So it wasn't accidental
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by Kanie View Post
Could you work with a local reporter to make sure you get an article that is positve in some small way?

Ultimatley, you need closure and something to hold on to, that reassures you that people do care and will learn from poor Ralph's death.

The people who owned the dogs that killed him were obviously not in control of their dogs and the dogs were not even within their range of vision. Sadly this is all too common an occurence - but everyone needs a reminder from time to time about it; not just owners of aggresive dogs, but also owners of bouncy, over-enthusiastic dogs that gleefullly bounce up and down on fear-aggressive dogs who are on their lead and cannon into toddlers!

A really well thought out article, where you can articulate your grief, but also express hope that more dog owners become aware of how their dogs are behaving - as well as why - could inspire even one person to think a bit more.....and maybe another Ralph and his owner somewhere will be saved what you went through.

Even an open letter to the owners who let their dogs do this to you, perhaps?
That's a really good idea, thank you. I'll contact the local paper & see what they say, we have had a run of dog incidents in the last 6 months or so.
theo&milly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Kanie View Post
Could you work with a local reporter to make sure you get an article that is positve in some small way?

Ultimatley, you need closure and something to hold on to, that reassures you that people do care and will learn from poor Ralph's death.

The people who owned the dogs that killed him were obviously not in control of their dogs and the dogs were not even within their range of vision. Sadly this is all too common an occurence - but everyone needs a reminder from time to time about it; not just owners of aggresive dogs, but also owners of bouncy, over-enthusiastic dogs that gleefullly bounce up and down on fear-aggressive dogs who are on their lead and cannon into toddlers!

A really well thought out article, where you can articulate your grief, but also express hope that more dog owners become aware of how their dogs are behaving - as well as why - could inspire even one person to think a bit more.....and maybe another Ralph and his owner somewhere will be saved what you went through.

Even an open letter to the owners who let their dogs do this to you, perhaps?
I think this is a good idea. Hopefully this will appeal to the owners sense of moral decency and encourage them to either a) train their dogs better or b) exert better control over them. It will also reach a wider audience and make others more aware. Poor little Ralph I'm so sorry that it ended this way for him but as others have said maybe this article/letter will allow you some closure and will benefit others - a small recompense perhaps but at least it's something.

Run free Ralph
bfetterman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-05-2012, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by ljru1970 View Post
It's very difficult to move on without doing anything. I'll feel I've let him down twice .

They chased him until he stopped running, one of them picked him up by the back leg ( the owner was there at the time right next to her dog, dithering & saying drop it!) then dropped him, I assume to get a better grip, then the whole of his body execpt legs/head was in the dogs mouth which it then bit down.

So it wasn't accidental
I know people are saying to let it go and try to move on, but after reading what you witnessed, theres no way I would be able to. There are not enough words to express how sorry I am for your loss and that you lost your beloved pup in such a gruesome way I'm not sure how the legal system works in the UK, but I would do whatevers possible for the owners to have to do SOMETHING to control their dogs. Whether it be mandatory muzzling as you mentioned or even some doggie handling/behavior classes so they understand their dogs more, something would need to be done before I dropped the case.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2012, 04:27 PM
I do feel so sorry for you to have had to witness your dog killed in such a horrible way.

If they couldn't call their dogs off - their dogs were not under control in my opinion. But it occurs to me that they are unlikely to put anything in writing expressing their regrets - if they are 2 legal bods they are probably very clued up about what might be used as some sort of admission of guilt or negligence.

I also think you wouldn't be in with much of a chance of success in continuing to pursue it for the same reason - they will be well versed in the minutest detail of the DD laws and probably do have 'friends in the right places' too. And the powers that be will not go ahead with any cases they think will not succeed.

Also it seems clear that your own statements and admissions at the time of the incident have been the biggest bar to you being successful. Plus the fact that your dog was not on a lead either. Have to say I was surprised that you said you were not frightened - I'd be terrified if they were attacking my dog.

I'm guessing you would have felt somewhat better if the owners had been fined, or had some order made that they had to keep their dogs muzzled when in public, or something. You don't need me to tell you that none of that will bring your dog back.

I've read stuff (even on here) where people seem to think it is OK for big dogs to chase and kill a cat (that it's not unnatural behaviour for a dog) but everyone seems to condemn the same thing happening when it is a tiny dog - probably smaller than a cat?

I think any fast moving very small creature appears to some dogs as 'prey' - rat, squirrel, rabbit, whatever. Something I used to worry a lot about when Bella was much smaller as she could run very fast and I've seen the way some dogs reacted as she whizzed past them.

Like the GSD who went for her but who has not attacked any other dogs in the area and who never once reacted badly to my adult CKCS when she was alive. It cannot ABIDE Bella the min pin.

I think the suggestions about you maybe being able to get down in writing somewhere it can be read by people exactly what happened and how it has left you feeling are good.
alfiesblue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-05-2012, 04:27 PM
oh god, i just read what happened and im so sorry you had to see that.

im sure i wouldnt be able to drop it and let go knowing the dogs and their owner was out there not wearing a muzzle or anything so it could happen again and my dog had died as a result of them.

so so sorry for what you have been through.

xx
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2012, 04:34 PM
What a tragic incident.

Well, at least I've learnt one lesson from it. If ever I find myself in a dangerous situation involving dogs, in my statement to the police I will declare that I feared for my life so action has to be taken.
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I do feel so sorry for you to have had to witness your dog killed in such a horrible way.

If they couldn't call their dogs off - their dogs were not under control in my opinion. But it occurs to me that they are unlikely to put anything in writing expressing their regrets - if they are 2 legal bods they are probably very clued up about what might be used as some sort of admission of guilt or negligence.

I also think you wouldn't be in with much of a chance of success in continuing to pursue it for the same reason - they will be well versed in the minutest detail of the DD laws and probably do have 'friends in the right places' too. And the powers that be will not go ahead with any cases they think will not succeed.

Also it seems clear that your own statements and admissions at the time of the incident have been the biggest bar to you being successful. Plus the fact that your dog was not on a lead either. Have to say I was surprised that you said you were not frightened - I'd be terrified if they were attacking my dog.

I'm guessing you would have felt somewhat better if the owners had been fined, or had some order made that they had to keep their dogs muzzled when in public, or something. You don't need me to tell you that none of that will bring your dog back.

I've read stuff (even on here) where people seem to think it is OK for big dogs to chase and kill a cat (that it's not unnatural behaviour for a dog) but everyone seems to condemn the same thing happening when it is a tiny dog - probably smaller than a cat?

I think any fast moving very small creature appears to some dogs as 'prey' - rat, squirrel, rabbit, whatever. Something I used to worry a lot about when Bella was much smaller as she could run very fast and I've seen the way some dogs reacted as she whizzed past them.

Like the GSD who went for her but who has not attacked any other dogs in the area and who never once reacted badly to my adult CKCS when she was alive. It cannot ABIDE Bella the min pin.

I think the suggestions about you maybe being able to get down in writing somewhere it can be read by people exactly what happened and how it has left you feeling are good.
I wasn't frightened at the time it was happening because I didn't know what was going to happen. As they were chasing him, I remember thinking "bl**dy Hell*, now I'm going to have a dog with issues re other dogs". Even when they picked him up by his leg I was thinking "straight to the vets". Even at that stage I didn't forsee what was to happen.
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post
What a tragic incident.

Well, at least I've learnt one lesson from it. If ever I find myself in a dangerous situation involving dogs, in my statement to the police I will declare that I feared for my life so action has to be taken.
Exactly! And if it involves your dog, come on here and get some good advice.

Locally, just the week before my pup was killed, a staff attacked an elderley disabled mans on lead JRT. It had to be pts as a result of the injuries. The dog was ordered to be destroyed and the owner (who legged it at the scene) was fined.

Same outcome for my pup, but as he was off lead & I didn't say I was frightened nothing is done about it
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by theo&milly View Post
the owners sense of moral decency
Barristers? Moral decency? Have they been in touch with the op? Expressed sadness? Offered compensation at least for cost of pup, cremation?

They know the law won't touch them. So who else can? The press can!!!
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >