View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

14-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Sorry guys it's bad news the rescue says they will castrate him before he goes he is only a baby they said as he's from the Dog's Trust they have to do it as it's a condition placed upon them.

I wish this reckless practise would stop. So sad. Not only has this dog missed the chance of a good home, but will now also face an increased risk of a number of health problems - that could have been avoided.
dragonfly
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-05-2012, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Sorry guys it's bad news the rescue says they will castrate him before he goes he is only a baby they said as he's from the Dog's Trust they have to do it as it's a condition placed upon them.

I wish this reckless practise would stop. So sad. Not only has this dog missed the chance of a good home, but will now also face an increased risk of a number of health problems - that could have been avoided.
So sorry Azz
Poor boy
I'm in agreement with you about the detrimental effects of early neutering - I understand the need to curb unwanted matings but IMO there are just too many physical and behavioural negatives associated with neutering under 1 yr old (especially for males).
Azz
Administrator
Male 

14-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Thanks Sarah, it's such a shame really, as their reason to do it is so that the dog won't be mated - and I have 8 years of history on Dogsey that they could quickly look through to see (my views on BYBs etc and) that the pup would never be mated. They are risking his health unnecessarily.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 09:55 PM
i understand your frustration Azz, BUt as a rescue I cannot accept that that is a deal breaker. Just because we all know you are fine and would be a great home, they have to do the best thing possible and with rescue dogs that is to make sure they are all neutered. We just can't take risks and have one rule for one and one for someone else.

So for me, I think that I would be asking why you don't want him neutered ( with my rescue head) and with the best will in the world they cannot keep track of every single dog to make sure its been done further down the line etc. Do you disagree with neutering completely or just at a young age?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

14-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
i understand your frustration Azz, BUt as a rescue I cannot accept that that is a deal breaker. Just because we all know you are fine and would be a great home, they have to do the best thing possible and with rescue dogs that is to make sure they are all neutered. We just can't take risks and have one rule for one and one for someone else.

So for me, I think that I would be asking why you don't want him neutered ( with my rescue head) and with the best will in the world they cannot keep track of every single dog to make sure its been done further down the line etc. Do you disagree with neutering completely or just at a young age?
Personally, I would never neuter a healthy male - unless it was for medical reasons (or if I had female dogs that couldn't be spayed for medical reasons).

This is what I sent them:

One thing I did want to bring up though, is that I would prefer not to castrate Logan. I lead a holistic lifestyle, and believe nature generally has things worked out better than man, and so the consequences worry me - as there is evidence that neutering males can increase the risk of certain cancers, especially if carried out before the dog has fully matured, and I'd really not like to go through that again The evidence for females being spayed is generally more positive. I *totally* understand why rescues such as yourself insist on neutering all dogs - unfortunately far too many people take a lax attitude towards responsible pet ownership, and so I agree that for 99% of owners neutering is a necessity.

I really did not want to lie on the form. I know many people do, and then later do not castrate - just to get the dog. But I'd rather be completely honest. You would not have to worry about Logan being mated - I am completely against back yard breeding and am a responsible dog owner. In fact would you believe that when Rocky was diagnosed with cancer, our neighbour suggested we mate him with her Staffie!? I appreciate that she was trying to be considerate (given how upset I was) but even in that vulnerable state I told her I would never do that from an ethical stand point.

I guarantee that Logan would never be mated - intentionally or 'accidentally'. I appreciate you do not know me, so am more than happy for you to sign up to Dogsey and go through my posts, to see what my views are about dog ownership and ethics in general - for me, the dog always comes first. Here is our most read article: http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=12589 and I fully stand by it. I'm not sure what else I can say really.
I didn't want to make them feel awkward about their neutering policy (as I know Rescues are stuck between a rock and a hard place) so tried to stay away from all the evidence which suggests that neutering males increases the risk of certain cancers/ailments - with a greater risk if neutered early.

The only benefit is eradicating the risk of testicular cancer - but as the risk of that is so small anyway, it just doesn't make sense in light of all the risks that get introduced.

Here are some of the risks/disadvantages from wikipedia - it's by no means conclusive, as there are a lot of studies on the topic, especially against neutering males (particularly at young ages):
  • As with any surgical procedure, immediate complications of neutering include the usual anesthetic and surgical complications, such as bleeding and infection. These risks are relatively low in routine spaying and neutering; however, they may be increased for some animals due to other pre-existing health factors. In one study the risk of anesthetic-related death (not limited to neutering procedures) was estimated at 0.05% for healthy dogs and 0.11% for healthy cats. The risk for sick dogs and cats were 1.33% and 1.40% respectively.[6]
  • Spaying and neutering cats may increase the risk of obesity.[7] In cats, a decrease in sex hormone levels seems to be associated with an increase in food intake.[8] In dogs, the effects of neutering as a risk factor for obesity vary between breeds.[9]
  • Neutered dogs of both sexes are at a twofold excess risk to develop osteosarcoma as compared to intact dogs. The risk of osteosarcoma increases with increasing breed size and especially height.[10][11][12]
  • Studies of cardiac tumors in dogs showed that there was a 5 times greater risk of hemangiosarcoma, one of the three most common cancers in dogs, in spayed females than intact females and a 2.4 times greater risk of hemangiosarcoma in neutered dogs as compared to intact males.[13][14]
  • Spaying and neutering is associated with an increase in urinary tract cancers in dogs.[15]
  • Neutered dogs of both sexes have a 27% to 38% increased risk of adverse reactions to vaccinations. The incidence of adverse reactions for neutered and intact dogs combined is 0.32%.[16]
  • Neutered dogs have also been known to develop hormone-responsive alopecia (hair loss).[17]
  • A 2004 study found that spayed and neutered dogs had a higher incidence of CCL rupture, a form of ACL injury.[18]
  • [edit]
  • Specific to males:
  • About 2% of neutered male dogs eventually develop prostate cancer, compared to less than 0.6% of intact males.[19][20] The evidence is most conclusive for Bouviers.[21]
  • In a study of 29 intact male dogs and 47 castrated males aged 11–14, the neutered males were significantly more likely to progress from one geriatric cognitive impairment condition (out of the four conditions – disorientation in the house or outdoors, changes in social interactions with human family members, loss of house training, and changes in the sleep-wake cycle) to two or more conditions. Testosterone in intact males is thought to slow the progression of cognitive impairment, at least in dogs that already have mild impairment.[22]
  • As compared to intact males, male neutered cats are at an increased risk for certain problems associated with feline lower urinary tract disease, including the presence of stones or a plug in the urethra and urethral blockage.[23]
  • Neutering also has been associated with an increased likelihood of urethral sphincter incontinence in males.[24]
  • Early-age neutering
  • Early-age neutering (or prepubertal gonadectomy – the removal of the ovaries or testes before the onset of puberty) is typically performed in dogs and cats between 8 and 16 weeks of age, as compared to the conventional 6 to 8 months. It is used mainly in animal sheltering and rescue where puppies and kittens can be neutered before being adopted out, eliminating non-compliance with sterilisation agreement, which is typically above 40%.[2] The American Veterinary Medical Association, American Animal Hospital Association and the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association support the procedure for population control, provided that the veterinarian uses his/her best knowledge when making the decision about the age at neutering.[50][51][52]
  • While the age-unrelated risks and benefits cited above also apply to early-age neutering, various studies have indicated that the procedure is safe and not associated with increased mortality or serious health and behavioral problems when compared to conventional age neutering.[53][54][55][56][57] Anesthesia recovery in young animals is usually more rapid and there are fewer complications.[57][58] One study found that in female dogs there is an increasing risk of urinary incontinence the earlier the procedure is carried out; the study recommended that female dogs be spayed no earlier than 3 to 4 months of age.[54] A later study comparing female dogs spayed between 4 to 6 months and after 6 months showed no increased risk.[59]
  • One study showed the incidence of hip dysplasia increased to 6.7% for dogs neutered before 5.5 months compared to 4.7% for dogs neutered after 5.5 months, although the cases associated with early age neutering seems to be of a less severe form. There was no association between age of neutering and arthritis or long-bone fractures.[54] Another study showed no correlation between age of neutering and musculoskeletal problems.[56] A study of large breed dogs with cranial cruciate ligament rupture associated early-age neutering with the development of an excessive tibial plateau angle.[60] Female dogs neutered early are much more likely to develop cystitis although the risk does not appear to be chronic. Two studies showed an increased risk of canine parvovirus infection, which one of the study attributed to the increased susceptibility of young dogs rather than long term immune suppression.[54][56]
  • In terms of behavior in dogs, separation anxiety, aggression, escape behavior and inappropriate elimination are reduced while noise phobia and sexual behavior was increased. In males with aggression issues, earlier neutering may increase barking.[54] In cats, asthma, gingivitis, and hyperactivity were decreased, while shyness was increased. In male cats, occurrence of abscesses, aggression toward veterinarians, sexual behaviors, and urine spraying was decreased, while hiding was increased.[53]

I just wouldn't risk it, and would think myself very unwise if I set myself up for heartbreak when the facts clearly speak for themselves
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2012, 01:17 AM
So sorry about that but completely agree with your reasoning, losing a dog is very hard even when you know you did right by him/her but it would be terrible to know from the onset that you weren't happy with the way things were, it would interfere with that special bonding time just the worry of what was to come
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2012, 06:50 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post

Why has he missed out on the chance of a good home ?
It's not his choice to be neutered
Azz
Administrator
Male 

15-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Totally agree with you guys. The more I think of it the more it maddens me. I might email the Dogs Trust and ask them why they're insisting on it at such a young age. I will also email the RCVS and ask them whether their members are set guidelines on early neutering - if so what.

It's a shame some Rescues only care about the dog not being mated - dog's health not important enough? I despair at such obstinacy, and find it contrary to what you'd expect from an animal welfare organisation.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-05-2012, 01:36 PM
If they told you after 6 months would you follow their guidelines ?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

15-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Here is an excellent paper on the effects of neutering (they also consider early neutering and the neutering of males, and females) it was posted by Tarimoor in another thread and is published by NAIA The National Animal Interest Alliance.

Long Term Health Effects Of Spay/Neuter In Dogs

Originally Posted by Murf View Post
If they told you after 6 months would you follow their guidelines ?
No Murf, because there's absolutely no need for it - I would never mate the dog, and I would never let it be in a situation where it catches a female. 6 months is still WAY too early as well.

If I ever got a female, then yes one of them would be neutered - probably the female as the negatives are no where near as bad (and could be positive). I can understand people with more than one dog wanting to do it (plus it's their choice) but the evidence is overwhelmingly negative for neutering healthy males, especially before they have fully matured.

Have a read of the article above, it's excellent - and it's from an Animal Welfare Organisation - who you might expect to blindly be pro-neutering as we see with so many rescues. Definitely an organisation I am going to look more into supporting.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >