View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Hun this may sound strange but put it down to experience/lesson learnt and move on. Stay with those that you know are fine with yours.

I won't go on walks now because of a similar experience on the last one, as much as I like the folk that go its a real todo when you have to watch not only your own but other peoples dogs too.

I know Bruce hates his space invaded and I was bloody annoyed with myself TBH because I said Yes to the walk knowingly that on a previous one before Bruce ended being jumped on in a river.....although he was younger and more accepted of the situation) however the last time he wasn't accepting at all and HE just wouldn't let it go after he got nipped up the jacksee

I knew Bruce was out to settle a score so we decided to walk back, as I felt it was sad to keep him on the lead.....although he was out for revenge (and I take responsibility for that)

But It made me realize that in future we'll only go on the walks where we know the other dogs will not invade his space, and we have had fabulous walks with those people.
For us we just know not all dogs are the same and there are plenty of fab walks going on where I for one think...yes great...but then think No that dog and Bruce just won't get on, I fully except that some hump,play,harass etc., and Im aware that Bruce doesn't/wouldn't like that so I don't go on them
Ted's mum will tell you Ted also hates his space invaded too and he and Bruce just plod on side by side ....with mutual respect, they get on great together

stick to those you know hun and all will be fine
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-04-2012, 01:31 PM
How horrible for you.

Unfortunately I have learnt through repeated experience not to trust other people's views of their dogs over my own impressions, not least as when something does happen it tends to be in a second or two, so very little time then to avoid, protect or react.

This is not at all a criticism of you, just an observation that it can be a learning curve to disregard people's assurances

Yet it still astonishes me how much some people are in denial or ignorance about what their dogs are routinely doing!!

It's in situations such as you describe, with a pushy and potentially aggressive dog (sorry but imo deliberately trying to intimidate another dog to make a point is aggression in my book, whether or not physical damage results) trying it on and throwing its weight around with various others, than I find totally decrying the notion of the D word ever being applicable as unconvincing.

I think aside from the shock, disappointment and any (unwarranted) guilt, part of the upset comes form the frustration of the situation.

When something does happen you are usually too concerned about your own dog to have any time to deal with the other owner or dog.

I hope you feel happier soon and that you have some much nicer dogs to walk with in future.

I would agree that as far as the other owners are concerned, there is little to be gained by saying anything and it is more likely to just keep the pot boiling and keep you upset over it.

Vent here and move on, if possible.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I'm so sorry this has happened to you on a group walk you organised.
I go on organised walks reguarly, but they are all greyhounds, there is usually about 60 of us with our dogs, but because these are held by greyhound organisations everyweek there are strict rules and codes of conduct.
The main 2 rules are "All dogs to be kept on lead" and "Muzzles to be worn if you are not sure of your dog or your dog doesn't like others too close.
We never have any trouble on these walks and although the dogs are all on lead, they love it being out with so many and come back mentally tired as well as physically.
We don't tend to have problems with other people out walking their dogs in the same place either as when they see so many greyhounds coming towards them they rapidly put their dogs on a lead till they are past us.
I would also be very upset too if I were you, but I think organised walks with dogs and people you don't know really do need to be done onlead. If the same ones do it week in and week out and your dogs all get on then perhaps start some offlead time, or make the rule they must be muzzled off lead.
I think as the organiser of a walk you have to be careful as if someones dog apart from your own got attacked by another dog on the walk you could be liable. I may be wrong but I am sure I have heard that.
It was a social walk - kind of like meeting up with friends. I like to get Louie to meet lots of new people and dogs as he can be funny with some new people. And with the group walks he's getting better, and he likes to meet new dogs and has made some great friends. Louie is generally a oh hello then get on with his own business kind of dog..

Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Hun this may sound strange but put it down to experience/lesson learnt and move on. Stay with those that you know are fine with yours.

I won't go on walks now because of a similar experience on the last one, as much as I like the folk that go its a real todo when you have to watch not only your own but other peoples dogs too.

I know Bruce hates his space invaded and I was bloody annoyed with myself TBH because I said Yes to the walk knowingly that on a previous one before Bruce ended being jumped on in a river.....although he was younger and more accepted of the situation) however the last time he wasn't accepting at all and HE just wouldn't let it go after he got nipped up the jacksee

I knew Bruce was out to settle a score so we decided to walk back, as I felt it was sad to keep him on the lead.....although he was out for revenge (and I take responsibility for that)

But It made me realize that in future we'll only go on the walks where we know the other dogs will not invade his space, and we have had fabulous walks with those people.
For us we just know not all dogs are the same and there are plenty of fab walks going on where I for one think...yes great...but then think No that dog and Bruce just won't get on, I fully except that some hump,play,harass etc., and Im aware that Bruce doesn't/wouldn't like that so I don't go on them
Ted's mum will tell you Ted also hates his space invaded too and he and Bruce just plod on side by side ....with mutual respect, they get on great together

stick to those you know hun and all will be fine
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
How horrible for you.

Unfortunately I have learnt through repeated experience not to trust other people's views of their dogs over my own impressions, not least as when something does happen it tends to be in a second or two, so very little time then to avoid, protect or react.

This is not at all a criticism of you, just an observation that it can be a learning curve to disregard people's assurances

Yet it still astonishes me how much some people are in denial or ignorance about what their dogs are routinely doing!!

It's in situations such as you describe, with a pushy and potentially aggressive dog (sorry but imo deliberately trying to intimidate another dog to make a point is aggression in my book, whether or not physical damage results) trying it on and throwing its weight around with various others, than I find totally decrying the notion of the D word ever being applicable as unconvincing.

I think aside from the shock, disappointment and any (unwarranted) guilt, part of the upset comes form the frustration of the situation.

When something does happen you are usually too concerned about your own dog to have any time to deal with the other owner or dog.

I hope you feel happier soon and that you have some much nicer dogs to walk with in future.

I would agree that as far as the other owners are concerned, there is little to be gained by saying anything and it is more likely to just keep the pot boiling and keep you upset over it.

Vent here and move on, if possible.
It's definate a learning curve, like Leanne said we've had some lovely walks before and I had no reason to believe this one would be different. There was meant to be 25+ dogs coming but I'm glad there was only the few that went.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2012, 01:49 PM
This is one of the main reasons I worry about taking Cooper on group walks, just in case he upsets another dog and there's an 'issue' I don't want people moaning about it on the forum lol

I hope Louie is ok and there's no lasting damage to him
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
This is one of the main reasons I worry about taking Cooper on group walks, just in case he upsets another dog and there's an 'issue' I don't want people moaning about it on the forum lol

thats why we turned and walked back on the last one, we just knew Bruce wasn't going to let a nip up the a**se go I could see it in his body language
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2012, 01:57 PM
You poor thing hun. I'd have been very annoyed too. If one of my dogs had done that to Louie I'd have been mortified and sooo apologetic But then again I wouldn't allow my dog to get that far. I hope Louie is ok.
I have to say I'm not one for going on dog walks really for this very reason but I have been on one to raise money for an dog rescue. There were 50ish dogs there, all shapes, sizes, breeds etc and really hardly any trouble....and the only one of mine that had a go was Jenny who had her botty sniffed by an over amourous staffie But both the other owner and myself were on it straight away and nothing happened. In fact we both apologised to one another
When lots of dogs are involved you need respect, some caution, and common sense!! Lots of people have none of this which is the very reason I keep away!
And give that beautiful Louie a massive dog snog from me and mine! xx
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-04-2012, 02:34 PM
We all make mistakes. It's taken 4 years for Polo to recover from his ordeal (he was a pup, when he got attacked). I could have kicked myself for allowing it to happen (or should've kicked the dog that attacked him ).

It is useful to use these situations to learn from. Group walks can be great but you have to keep an eye for any 'trouble-makers' and decide what action you will take to keep your dog safe.

This is one negative incident that I'm sure Louis will bounce back from. Get him out with his real doggy friends and don't beat yourself up. x
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post

But you'd actually identify that your dog did something wrong, this owner doesn't seem to realise it. Her dogs were on lead for a matter of minutes. I didn't want it to turn into a moan, but really just needed to let it out. I feel horrid for having put him in a situation and very annoyed that not only did their dogs do something wrong - they seem to think there is nothing wrong with it.

Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
You poor thing hun. I'd have been very annoyed too. If one of my dogs had done that to Louie I'd have been mortified and sooo apologetic But then again I wouldn't allow my dog to get that far. I hope Louie is ok.
I have to say I'm not one for going on dog walks really for this very reason but I have been on one to raise money for an dog rescue. There were 50ish dogs there, all shapes, sizes, breeds etc and really hardly any trouble....and the only one of mine that had a go was Jenny who had her botty sniffed by an over amourous staffie But both the other owner and myself were on it straight away and nothing happened. In fact we both apologised to one another
When lots of dogs are involved you need respect, some caution, and common sense!! Lots of people have none of this which is the very reason I keep away!
And give that beautiful Louie a massive dog snog from me and mine! xx
Louie appreciated the big dog snog I think it was just a bad mix of dogs.

Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
We all make mistakes. It's taken 4 years for Polo to recover from his ordeal (he was a pup, when he got attacked). I could have kicked myself for allowing it to happen (or should've kicked the dog that attacked him ).

It is useful to use these situations to learn from. Group walks can be great but you have to keep an eye for any 'trouble-makers' and decide what action you will take to keep your dog safe.

This is one negative incident that I'm sure Louis will bounce back from. Get him out with his real doggy friends and don't beat yourself up. x
I was keeping my eye on it and telling Louie to get on whenever he got challenged, trying to keep him away as it did seem they were looking for trouble, where we went I had to keep an eye on Louie.. he likes to go off in directions and gets very into his working roots so I have to watch where he goes and wait for things to pop up - like partridge and pheasants.

My lesson is learnt and Louie should be fine, he's a good dog and shakes things off easily.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Have you actually talked to the person and told them that their dog started it? Maybe they have no idea and you would be educating them?

If you haven't perhaps let them know that Louie was injured, and because it was their dogs 'fault' if he needs medical attention you might like something towards the costs?
Might just make them slightly more aware of their dogs behaviour in future if it's going to cost them money?
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2012, 03:10 PM
I notice videos have gone up, which is kind of good because it shows the behaviour of the other dogs. I think anybody with half a brain can see not all is right.
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »