View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2012, 04:58 PM
New born puppies cannot be chipped they have to be at least 7/8 weeks of age & smaller puppies must be older so the scheme has already failed before it has started.

Will work as long as every police officer etc has a scanner & every chip is guarenteed not to migrate or simply fail, every owner transfers the ownership of the dog & the names/addresses are real !!
Jeltz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-04-2012, 05:45 PM
This is just another situation where the responsible members of society will and probably already do and the irresponsible don't and never will.

No need for this as legislation its great soundbites for the politicians and media but just another headache for our law enforcers, IMHO.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-04-2012, 06:20 PM
pointless really as the ones who will chip are already chipped as someone has stated it is a legal requirement to wear a collar,lead and id tag for a dog, i see a lot who have neither.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Those are expensive microchips! I thought it cost about a tenner to get a dog chipped. I paid £15 9 years ago.

I really don't see how they can police this so it's not going to affect the scum bags and how would they enforce you updating your details when you move?
If a microdhip came with a certificate & if details were not changed by seller they were still responsible for the dog & anything that happened like cars with log book it would make people more likely to keep details up to date & if you had to produce the certificate if asked by any official iy would be a start.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2012, 07:27 PM
I think it is a start - and if all dogs (in theory) are microchipped then it will become more commonplace (and should be automatic) for any stray dog to be scanned for a chip. From various cases, we know this currently is not the case.

It is encouraging to hear that the scheme works fairly well in Canada. However, it is all about enforcement and penalty for those who don't comply.

I also think it should initially be the breeder's responsibility to have a litter chipped prior to leaving for their new homes, and the breeder's details should be on the database along with the owner.
ste
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2012, 07:50 PM
microchipping has been compulsory in most countries in Europe for a number of years , here in Italy it costs around €30,.
The theory is good, but the irresponsible dog owners/ breeders will always slip through the net, in Italy it isn't really controlled in anyway, (dog wardens don't exist here) but over in the Uk where you do have dog wardens, they could be given a scanner to do spot checks?
Here when you buy a puppy or rescue a dog you should get it already chipped.
A load of rubbish about it would be to difficult to set up the data base though..... the rest of Europe has managed it and if Italy can manage it, then the Uk surely can???
I think it's right that it is compulsory , unfortunately though I don't think it will help with controlling the so called dangerous dog problem,
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by ste View Post
............................A load of rubbish about it would be to difficult to set up the data base though..... the rest of Europe has managed it and if Italy can manage it, then the Uk surely can???
I think it's right that it is compulsory , unfortunately though I don't think it will help with controlling the so called dangerous dog problem,

The UK has probably one of the biggest Database for microchips in Europe-it's called Petlog
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
If a microdhip came with a certificate & if details were not changed by seller they were still responsible for the dog & anything that happened like cars with log book it would make people more likely to keep details up to date & if you had to produce the certificate if asked by any official iy would be a start.
It's the buyer who has to change the details & there is already a certificate issued by Petlog(or for some chips the chip company's own database)
Azz
Administrator
Male 

21-04-2012, 11:21 PM
I think it's a great idea, because by not doing you'll be breaking the law.

Why is that good? Cos the authorities will be able to clamp down on known BYBs who almost certainly aren't going to bother - when they get caught once they will be on record, and after that any more litter that are not chipped can be taken away... so they can't make any money out of them

Well, here's hoping
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2012, 12:23 AM
I really didn't know this had been passed?
I thought it was still in the debating process, clearly not!
How about nice vilifying of rotties in that article too. Can't stand the mail.
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »