Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-03-2012, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
dont know why he sticks out to me so much, he just does.. think after nana's comments the other day too im trying to do more "to fullfill my dog hobby" so im looking at fostering and things, or going and walking at a kennels.
I think fostering at the moment with all the things that are going on at home with your nana would not be wise, the fact is you may want to foster , but it will be her who has to spend most of the time with the dogs.. as you will be at work.

TBH, I think, you have to consider her feelings on this and wait till you can do what you want in your own home.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Have to say I agree with Jackie
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Another avenue to consider is helping out at fundraising events for rescues. Not quite the same as fostering a dog but they often need the extra pair of hands, you can usually take your dogs along (so gets you and them out from under your nan's feet) and it will look good on your CV for future jobs
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Handsome chap

however he looks as if he could be ''fast'' and ''quick'' seems to spell ''herding/ behaviour'' problems to me......sorry have not read anything about him or all your replies, but he seems ''sharp'' by the way he is standing, which could spell lively

I'd be careful of fostering/homing if not everyone in the house could be on board, Collies are fabulous (well Im bias) but ones with any issues can be a nightmare and thats from experience hun, its a 24/7 thing and they can take months and months to break a bad habit................. ask my hubby, who never owned a collie in his life till he met me
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-03-2012, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I think fostering at the moment with all the things that are going on at home with your nana would not be wise, the fact is you may want to foster , but it will be her who has to spend most of the time with the dogs.. as you will be at work.

TBH, I think, you have to consider her feelings on this and wait till you can do what you want in your own home.
Ditto. He's a very handsome boy and your heart is in the right place, but you have to consider if it's fair on the dog and your gran to take on a young dog that looks like a classic lurcher (greyhound x border collie). He's going to be incredibly energetic and fast.

To be honest, if I took on or fostered every dog I see on the internet and fall in love with, I'd have at least 10 bearcoat shar-pei alone by now. Not to mention all the tens of little old shar-pei I'd like to give a home to in their dotage. Then the longcoat rottie and akita, the Tibetan Mastiff and the two chow chows rescued from puppy farms. I can still vividly see the faces of every single dog above I've mentioned and the only one I saw, fell in love with and took on was Mrs Fluffyknickers Barkypants I'm having seperation anxiety issues with.

And I've never actually chosen a dog in my life. I got suckered into a breed I said I'd never own as I found them ugly. It's hard to say no to a dog that chooses you as their pet person, won't do a thing for anybody but you and whose little face lit up the moment she saw me. Thanks to her I'm on shar-pei number 4. Even the TM was send to me by shar-pei number 2.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2012, 11:15 AM
He is lovely (but defo looks Greyhound x Collie to me) and I agree that dogs can definitely jump out at you from just a photo. The first time I saw two photos of Zak (when he wasn't even for sale) I thought "ooh I want him"! Thankfully he became for sale and also fitted all my criteria, otherwise I couldn't have had him (as much as his physical appearance appealed to me ) I know it would be the same for you - as I realise you aren't saying you would choose a dog on looks alone

If fostering isn't an option at the moment, I am sure one of your local rescues would welcome some help dog walking, and it can only enrich a kennel dog's life to be taken out regularly
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2012, 01:32 PM
I am definitely thinking about doing something with rescues. Haven't spoken to nana about fostering yet, I think if she did she would still rather me stick to small dogs anyway.
Advice - don't do it. You have enough problems with your nan now. Adding to that burden is just asking for trouble
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Advice - don't do it. You have enough problems with your nan now. Adding to that burden is just asking for trouble
im not on about just fostering. if you read my other posts im thinking about volunteering at kennels.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2012, 03:04 PM
im not on about just fostering. if you read my other posts im thinking about volunteering at kennels.
But you're not just on about volunteering, you were discussing fostering, and you did go into enough detail about this particular dog for it to look like more than a hypothetical situation. People are just giving advice on the things you're posting about, if you don't like that advice then just ignore it rather than trying to backtrack and make out like you weren't considering those options - it's not very respectful to those who've taken time to give their view on the situation.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-03-2012, 03:19 PM
This thread is about you thinking about "fostering" not about " volunteering" .

i dont know if its because ive been thinking about fostering for a rescue
I agree with krlyr, if you don't want a response to your question, its best not to post it in the first place.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >