Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BreeThompson
New Member!
Female 

10-02-2012, 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by amykf3 View Post
My friend told me yesterday that her mums dog had to have one of his dewclaws removed due to cathing it on a walk. She told me that he didn't have any local anethetic and they just literally pulled it out!!! Her mum said that she has never heard any animal scream like that!
Surely this is a form of torture? In medieval times they pulled out human fingernails are a form of torture.
Is this standard practice?
We have always had our dog's dew claws removed - they are border collies and the first dog continually caught them. They are done under general anaesthetic with a small bandage around the leg - none of them have ever had any problems after and in fact we are having our new pup done in a couple of weeks as hers are likely to get torn
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2012, 12:34 AM
One of my BC's had hers removed due to them keep getting caught....she was under GA and came home with a small bandage on each, they were checked again and all was well.

never ever heard of them being pulled out without GA..... think thats a windup
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-02-2012, 07:53 AM
Interesting as I was wondering about this with Max. He seems to be developing them and I was worried about when he would be doing jumps in WT.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2012, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
That doesn't look like a"whole"nail including the nail bed. If the nail hasn't regrown then the lump is the nail bed which has been damaged
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2012, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
Interesting as I was wondering about this with Max. He seems to be developing them and I was worried about when he would be doing jumps in WT.
I never had problems with my GSD's dewclaws doing WT, they actually used them to get a grip on the top of the scale
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
That doesn't look like a"whole"nail including the nail bed. If the nail hasn't regrown then the lump is the nail bed which has been damaged
as i said before her nail had split and parts broken off, the remaining was pulled out. . The nail has regrown, they think the lump is either a fatty lump or cancer but are not willing to operate due to age.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I never had problems with my GSD's dewclaws doing WT, they actually used them to get a grip on the top of the scale
ah, good news! thanks!

i kinda like them
amykf3
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-02-2012, 05:07 PM
I am positive that she isn't winding me up. She is very very against animal cruelty and wouldn't even joke about it, also her mum is the same.
It may have been a broken nail that just needed pulling out but for a dog to scream it must have been worse than that. Also everyone that has said that their dogs have had LA to pull a broken nail but to not have anything, I don't know why that would happen.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 07:49 PM
Yes GSD have dewclaws on their front legs and they are not customarily removed.

They are not a problem with the scale.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by amykf3 View Post
My friend told me yesterday that her mums dog had to have one of his dewclaws removed due to cathing it on a walk. She told me that he didn't have any local anethetic and they just literally pulled it out!!! Her mum said that she has never heard any animal scream like that!
Surely this is a form of torture? In medieval times they pulled out human fingernails are a form of torture.
Is this standard practice?
Bloody hell!! Surely they didnt remove the dew claw from an adult dog entirely then? without GA?!

Pups sometimes have the dew claws removed when they are up to three days old AFAIK but I wouldnt have thought that they would do that to a dog much older than that without a GA?

surely they could have used a sedative and local anaesthetic at least?
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >