View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tansox
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Heartwarming to see him making such a good recovery. That must have been very painful for him to endure. Poor chap.
Wild Rose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by Jugsmalone View Post
Well here goes. The following is what I used on Coles:
1. Bath 3 times a week in malaseb shampoo (for skin infection & hotspots) He still has 3 baths a week in this shampoo. Alternative I used to use is Episoothe shampoo (Very good for itchy dog).
2. Oral medication for mites. Ongoing treatment.
3. Dermacton spray (relieves itching & promotes hair re-growth) Still using - good to relieve his itchy skin due to dust mite allergy. Available at the following site:
http://www.aromesse.com/skin-problem...og-canine.html
4. Fish4dogs salmon oil everyday
5. Hypoallergenic diet containing fish and potato.
He is also having immunotherapy treatment for his allergies.I hope this helps your boston terrier.
Thank you. I'll look for the products. I'm giving him Vitamin C, peroxide + borax, BARF diet, lavender e.o. He's been in a bad way for a long time.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Aw, so pleased he is still doing well with his treatment.

Well done Coles! Just look at the difference in him, he is bound to be feeling a lot more comfortable now

Congratulations on finding the root cause too, it must be quite a relief to see some improvement, from your POV too.

He is looking really good.
Wild Rose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-01-2012, 06:41 PM
My vets have told me that demodectic mange is brought on by stress, that is the mites are able to get hold and do damage because the body can't fight them off. My present foster dog has a heart murmer and was a puppy mill stud, spent his life in a cage, had bad flea infestation and ear infections. Do you know what brought on Cole's bout with the mites? Food allergies, another problem? Obviously he is living in a loving home.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Wild Rose View Post
Thank you. I'll look for the products. I'm giving him Vitamin C, peroxide + borax, BARF diet, lavender e.o. He's been in a bad way for a long time.
Poor dog

The treatment for the demodex mites is panomec. I could not remember the name before

Please let me know how he goes and I hope the products help him.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-01-2012, 07:33 PM
My vets have told me that demodectic mange is brought on by stress, that is the mites are able to get hold and do damage because the body can't fight them off. My present foster dog has a heart murmer and was a puppy mill stud, spent his life in a cage, had bad flea infestation and ear infections. Do you know what brought on Cole's bout with the mites? Food allergies, another problem? Obviously he is living in a loving home.
For Coles it is because he has a dust mite allergy. He was also on steroids and his age is against him. This all contributes to weakening the immune system. Thus, demodex mites can over run on any dogs skin due to a weakened immune system.

Coles has no food allergies whatsoever. He's on the hypoallergenic diet purely for his skin. He does really well on it.

Stress can also weaken the immune system, so your vet may be right. What treatment is he on for demodex mites?
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Aw, so pleased he is still doing well with his treatment.

Well done Coles! Just look at the difference in him, he is bound to be feeling a lot more comfortable now

Congratulations on finding the root cause too, it must be quite a relief to see some improvement, from your POV too.

He is looking really good.
Thanks. I’m so so pleased with his progress. He so much happier and lively. He's like a totally different dog!
kim drury
New Member!
Female 

23-01-2012, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by Jugsmalone View Post
As some of year are aware, this is coles my x-sbt who is 12 years young! He has an allergy to dust and storage mites. In the following pics he is suffering from demodex mites (dermatic mange) and a skin infection. The reason his skin is so bad is due to the vets not testing for demodex mites, as it is rare in dogs of Coles' age. He was also on steroids, which feeds the mites. The following pics were taking at the end of August. Coles will need treatment for the mites for the rest of his life.

Before treatment

And Now the handsome Coles

hi my saint bernard has the same problem due to vet not doing a skin scrap what treatment are you useing ,
kim drury
New Member!
Female 

23-01-2012, 08:02 AM
hi my saint bernard has the same problem ,the vet was treating for allergys and dident do a skin test ...i just wondered how long and what treatment you was useing for your dog?
kim drury
New Member!
Female 

23-01-2012, 08:06 AM
sorry new to all this just read your reply about treatment .we are useing the same products ..did ypur dog have sticky damp skin all the time? during treatment?
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >