Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hiya boi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-08-2005, 10:21 AM
Good for you for taking them in.
My grand -dad used to work in the grainary of a chicken farm (Eastwoods then Buxted)
When the lorries used to come in with the young chickens(about 4 weeks old)Loads used to fall off the waggon.Gramps used to pick the ones up that strayed over to the grain sheds and put them in his bag and bring them home.Almost every house on our estate had a chicken shed in the back garden .I don't think anyone had to buy eggs at all for years.Occassionally one would turn out to be a cockrel and he would be loaned out to anyone and everyone .
Ours were white though not brown a bit like a leghorn
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2005, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Jessica
Dilys is fantastic! We were a bit worried about her because she is in such a bad way The pics dont really show it as bad as it is, but she doesn't have much in the way of feathers on her bum and back and she wasn't looking good at all. But she's doing much better now! She eats VERY well and loves wandering around digging through the grass and hedges! She is also very funny as she follows us nearly to the house incase we have food! She's definately a character!
Aww that's great

who is this character! I love her stance...lol...like she is dancing. They all probably feel like dancing with their new way of life

I love all their names...lol@matilda!...Not something I would name a dog, but a great name for a chicken...lol
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2005, 05:31 PM
aww jess

well done you for rescueing the chickens we always buy freerange eggs and that way i know the poor little things have not been kept cooped up in cages,, the eggs always taste better too

well done babes x x x x x
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2005, 07:01 PM
Myschievous - That was Dilys in that pic

Here's some more pics taken about an hour ago

Matilda

Matilda Preening

Three rolling in the dust

Mertyl (the light coloured one!) is actually 'mid-roll' there!!

Free range chicken!

And pretty chicken

And unfortunately, we lost our first chicken today My mum had named her Mavis, im not sure why. We were a bit worried about her because her "crest" had flopped right over her eyes, which apparently means they're not doing so well. All of them were like this when we picked them up, but the others have improved a lot, but Mavis just wasn't looking any better This pic was taken about an hour before she died, i thought she was just sleeping! We found her when we went into the stable to fill up food/water etc. She just went to sleep an died though.. At least the poor thing got to die with some dignity!!

jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2005, 07:10 PM
awww jess sorry to hear about mavis
but at least she got to learn that not all us humans are bad
she had a few weeks of freedom

we have a poorly one at the moment
she is losing feathers and stuff
the vet says she isn,t suffering so we are going too see how she goes
Vix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2005, 08:31 PM
Good on you. Sorry to hear about Mavis. At least she had a good few weeks. I will definately consider adopting some rescue chickens at some point. I grew up with them and my mum still has five. I used to get funny looks at school going into cookery with little green eggs. Hehe but i remember everything i cooked had an amazing yellow colour. Yorkshire pudding was almost illuminous.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2005, 11:48 PM
Awww Jessica, sorry about Mavis

On a lighter note, I just new you had to have a 'mrytle' or 'Mertyl' (not sure of spelling!) amongst them...lol
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3