View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2011, 12:10 AM
Jake gets bone everyday too... either chicken with bone, lamb ribs, lamb leg, pig head etc.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2011, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by Shrap View Post
I think this thread should be clarified a bit more. What he means is 60% RMBs (Raw MEATY bones - emphasis on meaty!)

I follow prey model style diet, not a big fan of Billinghurt, more into Tom Lonsdale myself.

80% muscle meat (inc heart), 10% bone, 5% liver, and 5% other organs (kindey, lung, pancreas etc.)

I don't feed any veg, I feed green tripe.

For info purposes a whole chicken bought from the supermarket is roughly 35% bone.

Also you can buy a cleaver from Morrisons for about £7 and it does the job for your frozen 1lb mince blocks! It does require a degree of accuracy but after cleaving 10 or so of them in half I can get it very easily now

Bones I feed are normally lamb/pork ribs + backs, turkey necks etc and feed once every day or 2, at the same time as offal to balance out the binding/diarrhea effect :P
This is basically what I follow, but I go for a slightly higher bone content. My dogs get a bone meal every other day, working out at 25% of the time (over 2 days 4 meals are fed, 1 of which is bone). I basically worked on the premise that each bone meal is approx 50% bone, working out the end average as 12.5% when you take into account that a bone meal is only 25% of the diet. Given that I also feed minces which will have bone in also I'm probably feeding about 15% bone.

That sounds so much more complicated than it actually is!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2011, 07:13 AM
I don't feed it daily aside from the bone in the minces I get. They have a bone meal 2-3 times a week. I do feed fruit and veg daily.
I keep a mince meal as a regular then feed 2x offal 2-3 x bone and 2x fish and egg as their breakfast. The bone meal is the only one they don't have veg with.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-11-2011, 09:04 AM
x-chlo-x ....

Have you tried giving your Chinese Crested, raw chicken feet?

I buy them for my Tibbie who's quite small ... she loves them 'coz they're crunchy and much easier for her to handle than a chicken wing or small bone.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2011, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
Where can you get day old chicks from please?
I get mine from Berriewoods:
http://www.berriewoodwholesale.co.uk...3/Frozen-Food/
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
x-chlo-x ....

Have you tried giving your Chinese Crested, raw chicken feet?

I buy them for my Tibbie who's quite small ... she loves them 'coz they're crunchy and much easier for her to handle than a chicken wing or small bone.
no i hadnt thought about feet, i wouldnt know where to get them. they dont have much trouble chewing the wings, its just the bigger things like carcasses etc.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
Just reading through give your dog a bone by Ian billinghurst, and he states to feed your dogs bone every day as 60% of the diet should be bone. The minimum it says to feed bone is 3 times a week which is what mine get.

How many of you feed bone every day? I'm thinking about giving every day. Mine probably wouldn't mind having bone every day, I've just never thought about it before now.

So guys do you feed bone every day? What type of bone? Does it make up the whole meal or just a bit of it?
I feed bone everyday. He either gets chicken mince which includes ground bone or a chicken. He is getting a pork bone sometimes now too and some pilchards.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2011, 06:56 PM
I'm wondering if my cats would enjoy some day old chicks now.....
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
I'm wondering if my cats would enjoy some day old chicks now.....
ive started giving my cats raw meat now instead of their pouches, and they love it havent tried them with bone yet, and also thinking about ordering the natural instinct food for the cats.
Shrap
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
ive started giving my cats raw meat now instead of their pouches, and they love it havent tried them with bone yet, and also thinking about ordering the natural instinct food for the cats.
My cats won't eat bone. I'm going to try that natural instinct now!!! Didn't realise they did it for cats!! Fab!!
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >