Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
I think you will really enjoy it I doubt they will give you a big and bouncy one straight away, when I first started at Dogs Trust most of us were given a lot of greyhounds and lurchers initially, mostly very calm dogs but a lot bigger than some people were used to so it really built people's confidence if they were only used to smaller dogs.
I hope so though bouncey dogs don't bother me as growing up I often met my Auntys springer who was very bouncy! Now she has a beareded collie who is just as mad o.0''

Its the pulling that worries thats why I ruled out larger breeds as I want the dogs to be safe. Lurchers are great to walk very laid back like dalmations GSD's though the ones I knew were very chilled.
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
To be honest, if you don't have a drivers license and a suitable car or van, I think that will be a major hindrance for this type of work.

If you do not have your own transport, unless you happen to get lucky and have clients that live within a very short distance of each other, I'm not sure how it would work. Most dog walkers take out a small group to save both time and money rather than walk them individually. If you had to walk to the location of each of your clients to pick them up, that is a lot of pavement pounding. Most clients are not going to want (unless they specify otherwise) to be paying for the pavement pounding part. The majority of dog walkers seem to specific that the transportation part (getting to and from the walk location) is NOT part of the cost of the walk. So, that is something important to consider. You would, without use of a vehicle, potentially be doing a lot of extra walking back and forth without getting paid for it. You may also have to use public transportation yourself to get to clients houses, so you would really need to consider whether this venture was cost viable.
I cannot run my buisness without my car. It really is as simple as that. And i do really think you will struggle with this if youre not driving. I walk 3-4 dogs in a group max, so if i was going to pick up a 3rd dog after the first 2 i would have nowhere to put them if it wasnt for my car!!!

Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
I feel like your stalker today another good post!! Am in the process of kitting out my car, waterproof liners etc etc just changed insurance to business cover...

All in all it sounds easy to o but you have to remember that just one tiny mistake couldcost you your reputation & business. You really do need all angles covered x
Yup. There is a rival dogwalker in my area who didnt turn up to a dog once, and another time she called the owner to say she wasnt working today half an hour before she was due to take the dog for its lunchtime walk. Both of these dogs are now walked by me and not her, remember - people talk!

Originally Posted by pippam View Post
Thank you for all the advice even if it does critisize what im doing it is helpfull all the same their are a lot of of places in southend but none were I live which is Shoeburyness (I think their is one actually all the others are elsewhere))

But I guess none of the great dog walkers started being recomended automaticly they had to get their clients before building reputation and they had to graft for their places and go on courses it wouldnt have come naturally for most.

I am or would be just starting out but as I say once I get a group of clients I can then think about the car and expanding my business beyond shoeburyness (their are a lot of dogs in my area and a lot of small dogs too))

I think ill see if I can speak to a local dog rescue and see if I can start to volunteer dog walking I might even be able to gain K9 first aid from them and gain more experience working with dogs.
Its taken me 2 years to build up a good strong client base and in the last 6 months have really started being recomended to people. And I started by walking a lab for a friend

Originally Posted by pippam View Post
I hope so though bouncey dogs don't bother me as growing up I often met my Auntys springer who was very bouncy! Now she has a beareded collie who is just as mad o.0''

Its the pulling that worries thats why I ruled out larger breeds as I want the dogs to be safe. Lurchers are great to walk very laid back like dalmations GSD's though the ones I knew were very chilled.
I think maybe working at the rescue with specificaly larger breeds might build your confidence up with them ?
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3