Our sister sites
Our sister sites
taz_in_2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Firstly well done! Sounds like she has come on a long way in a short time

With regard to letting your in laws walk her: I would BUT the first time I would insist on going with, just so I could be sure they were being consistent with the methods I'd chosen.
On walks I am hardly ever holding leads especially if its a family walk, I am usually the one behind shouting commands at them, them being family members not the dogs eg: Person/person & dog approaching everyone, continue walking do not tighten your leads, if they pull guide them back and continue forward lol. We do stop on the odd occasion. You should see the looks I get haha

I will go with them until i'm comfortable as its been a number of years since they have owned dogs, my mother in law is terrified of them so it will be good for her aswell I think. I think methods have changed in dog training since the early 90s so will have to keep a close eye on how my father in law handles her with the lead. Shouldn't be a problem as she is a loose lead walker.

Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
Well done It sounds like you're getting there

Same as TabithaJ - I would insist on walking with them until you feel she's fine with them

My two don't approach people when out. Even when they stop to fuss them, they turn their backs on them so personally I wouldn't worry too much about her not wanting strangers fuss - this might come in time (and if not, its not a bad thing).

What do you do when she growls from behind your legs? If it were my dog, I'd just give her a hush to let her know that she shouldn't be doing it, but then ignore her. Could you maybe when you've stopped to chat chain feed treats for her sitting facing you and not hiding? (even if she's at the side and the other person is in full sight so she doesn't get spooked)
Good to know that some dogs just don't fuss people, my dogs always have wanted to so its a new experience for me.

I just ignore her if she is growling from behind my legs and then make sure I stay that extra minute or two longer so she doesn't get the feeling if she growls the stranger will go away. I will try the chain feed treats when she is sitting normally. It only happens with certain people am going to have to pay extra attention with the triggers.

We have just come back from the inlaws now, it took awhile to get her in to the house but once there she settled and sprawled. Had a barking experience when my mother in law pushed her recliner down, trigger there though was she was fast asleep and the noise startled her, OMG you should have seen the MIL's face, I think she sh*t her pants lol although Brea didn't make a move to get to her at all just sat up startled and started barking, once she had finished she just settled back down and went back to sleep.
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-09-2011, 05:17 AM
She is fine with the kids now although still slightly nervous of my youngest. No growling nothing.
I think dogs are often unsure around young children because they are unpredictable. My dogs completely ignore young children which is good because the children invariably do the wrong thing with them - try to hit them, make sudden movements, scream - all very unstable behaviour in the animal kingdom!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3