Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Yes, he did . Documented in his last book, Diary of a "Dotty Dog" Trainer. Most peeps have read his other books.

I do think his books are worth reading, but these days they have to be read with this in mind. I loved the way he got things across though - a great sense of humour and kindness for dogs and owners alike

Wys
x
What was the Diary of a "Dotty Dog" Trainer (Doctor?) like?
I might get that one. Is this the same book?; http://www.crosskeysbooks.com/diary-...ty-dog-doctor/

Just checking its the same.....is it his own reflections etc or would I still learn something about dogs from this?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Cool! Did you find the loose lead walking with the (was it a flexi lead he suggested?) worked? I always wondered, I could quite see why it could

Sorry but I never really walk on leads---I did all the hw off lead with a toy and the same for walking when out whenever I had to do it---which was rare. Probably only at agility shows for short periods

I so wanted to meet him. Apparently, he got an award for being - aagh, something like "the best of men" which he was quietly pleased about.

I just love the way he wanted to know so much, he was interested in the way I taught severely handicapped kids as well---there are so many parallels I went on a course once and it was hard to know if it was for dogs or kids. The behaviour programmes and reward systems and writing programmes etc are very similar/.

I would have loved to see him be part of "today". I know he'd bring balance, fun, understanding and just good dog training with him

Oh so much---so sad he died but i expect he is still interested! Wys
x
rune...........
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
What was the Diary of a "Dotty Dog" Trainer (Doctor?) like?
I might get that one. Is this the same book?; http://www.crosskeysbooks.com/diary-...ty-dog-doctor/

Just checking its the same.....is it his own reflections etc or would I still learn something about dogs from this?
Well I think I've always learnt a bit from JF but it's really more about his case histories etc

Worth reading though, as it veers from humourous to sad and back again - and some of it is just plain funny

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 10:43 AM
Sorry but I never really walk on leads---I did all the hw off lead with a toy and the same for walking when out whenever I had to do it---which was rare. Probably only at agility shows for short periods
ah Ok....
I just love the way he wanted to know so much, he was interested in the way I taught severely handicapped kids as well---there are so many parallels I went on a course once and it was hard to know if it was for dogs or kids. The behaviour programmes and reward systems and writing programmes etc are very similar/.
Yes, my tutor at college used to work with kids and went on to work with animals, all very similar. Personally, I wish parents would treat their kids more like dogs but that's another thread

Oh so much---so sad he died but i expect he is still interested!

Wys
x
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3