Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
On my way back home from "oop north" today, I stopped by the lakes to give my dog a swim.

As I was sorting out the frisbees, pooh bags, towels and leads a couple with a small child walked behind my car, thus triggering my GSD to inform them that they had crossed the DMZ!

To my utter astonishment I heard the woman turn to the small child (still had dummy in mouth but was walking unaided) "see that dog knows there is a naughty boy near and if you are not careful he will come and get you!" I was so stunned, that I was rendered speechless............
Its only like saying to a naughty child, "if you dont behave, that policeman will come and take you away"!

Cant see where its really that much of a crime
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Its only like saying to a naughty child, "if you dont behave, that policeman will come and take you away"!

Yes but it's ok for a kid to grow up scared of policeman but not of dogs, poor kid is going to miss out on a lot and probably never grow up to be a dog lover - something special as we all know.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

04-08-2011, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Yes but it's ok for a kid to grow up scared of policeman but not of dogs, poor kid is going to miss out on a lot and probably never grow up to be a dog lover - something special as we all know.
That is one huge assumption , simply becuase a parent tells a child a dog might get them, does not mean they will grow up scared or dog haters.

I confess to telling my kids anything when they were young to get them to behave, and they have not grown up being frightened of dog, police men, father Xmas, or the boggy man
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 08:29 AM

Yeah I can see how threatening a naughty child that he might be taken away from his parents is a really good strategy for rearing children.

Cannot think why I never used it myself

When I was a nanny and later when I had my daughter I preferred to identify that the police were the people to go to if they got lost etc.

I don't know WHAT I was thinking of, I must have been mad!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 08:32 AM
That is one huge assumption , simply becuase a parent tells a child a dog might get them, does not mean they will grow up scared or dog haters.

I confess to telling my kids anything when they were young to get them to behave, and they have not grown up being frightened of dog, police men, father Xmas, or the boggy man
The kids were cr*pping themselves! - for no reason other than what their mum (obviously) regularly scares them about! Won't be doing anything like that with my kid thank you very much.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

04-08-2011, 08:40 AM
Yeah I can see how threatening a naughty child that he might be taken away from his parents is a really good strategy for rearing children.

Cannot think why I never used it myself

When I was a nanny and later when I had my daughter I preferred to identify that the police were the people to go to if they got lost etc.

I don't know WHAT I was thinking of, I must have been mad!
Well shoot me down for being a terrible parent......funny enough, my kids grew up to understand and respect both the police, and dogs,

Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
The kids were cr*pping themselves! - for no reason other than what their mum (obviously) regularly scares them about! Won't be doing anything like that with my kid thank you very much.
What kids were cr*pping themselves
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
I've never said that to any of my kids & I've got 4...I have however told them that when the ice-cream man plays his music then he has none left
Now why didn't i think of that one LOL
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
YOU! Speechless! Please tell me someone had a camera and shot this either as a picture or video Only joking of course.

People say some funny things to children these days, I was on a bus and this young mother (not teen but not late 20's) had a toddler and he swore so she said "Thats a naughty word" and when he toddler tried to get her attention she just said "I'm not talking to you, you said a naughty word" and then he apologised - I thought it was an odd thing but then I got brought up with - if you swear you'll have your pants pulled down and your bum smacked (when it wasn't illegal to hit a child for swearing) so I suppose it was good parenting but an odd way to go about it.. Supernanny never did that!
Kinda makes you wonder where the kid got the word from in the first place though, mind you some people think its normal these days, not surprising the way some parents talk to or in front of their kids
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 02:59 PM

Really dont understand making kids afraid of the Police. Maybe this is where the hatred of the police (and the other services) comes from.

Another I dont understand is "wait till your father gets home" or "you wont get away with that at school"

Why cant you discipline a child with out using empty threats
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

04-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Well lets face it, many a naughty child (in today's society ) might benefit a bit from the odd threat here and there .

How many of those little darlings you see running riot round the supermarket taking not a blind bit of notice of a parent trying to reason with them, have ever had a consequence set down to their actions.

I watched a father telling his young son (abotu 4/5) to stop climbing through a very expensive coffee table (mostly glass) the other day, I stood in disbelief as said child ignored , and said parent gave up and looked the other way.....

I remember reading/hearing a story of an old lady in a store somewhere , were a very naughty child was misbehaving, taking no notice of a parent trying to reason with it...said old dear told the child to behave itself or else... said father told old dear ......dont you speak to my child like that, said old dear said to father........well someone has to, as you are incapable of doing so!
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >