View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2011, 10:41 AM
If I were to home check (and I don't and haven't), I too would be very worried about someone in their mid to late sixties wanting to take on a rescue dog. If I thought the home could be potentially very good, I'd want written assurances from both the guy and the person he had in line to take the dog on should the predicted happen (ie he goes before the dog). I'd probably also want to homecheck that home too.

This of course, is why I wouldn't make a good homechecker because rescues run to a budget both in monetary terms and also in respect of valuable time.

Rather than looking at what your elderly neighbour did to overcome the problem, perhaps looking at whether the dog he wanted to rescue found a suitable home. If the latter, and if that scenario is repeated often, can you really wonder why your neighbour was turned down?

Risk assessment is very difficult to get right, but previous experience of similar situations does go a long way even if that is upsetting to those feeling aggrieved at the decision of 'unsuitable home'
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2011, 11:05 AM
I think all old nice people should own dogs! Wonderful companionsip for both!

There's a man near us, he rides a scooter and has an oldish greyhound who ambles alongside his scooter through the village perfectly happy together
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2011, 11:55 AM
I have to say I hope people won't refuse to let me own a dog when I'm older. I can understand not rehoming a pup or young adult with an elderly person but if they want to take on an older dog I see no reason why they can't.
Harleygjc
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-07-2011, 12:18 PM
I no longer goto or support several large and well known rescues for various reasons, but one which is very well known whose name I'm not mentioning did annoy me a while back, I was a regular walker there for 5 yrs! every weekend, some week days, I adopted FOUR dogs from them, one of which was there for years and would've never been home if not for me, I knew the staff and the managers! and yet when I went there late last year I got the usual bs of fill this read that speak to staff etc, and even got told what I was "suited" to not what I was looking for as well as a home check even though my details were already on file and I was still known to the current manager! I left after being given details of a breed that wasn't even there at the time.

Now I rescue through someone I know who runs his own centre and I was put in contact with through a now ex mutal accquantance. after alot of problems I had with one that I helped for 20yrs and then got nothing but trouble and abuse from, large rescue centres are not something I'd bother with at any forseeable point in the future.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Mind you - you hear some horror stories about places that don't properly homecheck. The one I heard recently was a rescue that homed an Akita with dreadful pulling issues - to an old gentleman who was unsteady on his feet and had just had a hip replacement... no prizes for guessing who was walking who on that one and that the dog inevitably ended up back in another rescue.

Guy who did our homecheck recently spent more time fussing over the cat and telling her how gorgeous she is (always one of the cat's favourite human pasttimes) and concluding that Layton was in fact an undercover greyhound (I think the unconcious dog with 4 legs in the air helped give that impression) than actually checking us out - was more of a dos and don'ts than an actual check... still waiting for a dog though (despite now having a back gate with so many locks and bolts on it that I keep joking it looks like Gringotts Bank).

Layton thinks all old people should own dogs too - for old people with dogs always carry dog treats, and give them to nice friendly Laytons in the park Seriously he makes a bee-line for the OAPs and assumes full-on "cute" position given half the chance!
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-07-2011, 12:30 PM
I also fully plan on being a loopy old dear with dogs and cats. Indeed I consider it my stated career aim.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2011, 12:36 PM
I do think that rescues should go on personal circumstances instead of blanket rules. Also it should depend on each dog. My staffie can jump higher than my greyhound!!
I'm glad the rescue we got out lot from work that way. We don't have a big garden or a 6 foot fence but what we do have are 6 very happy healthy and loved dogs that no one wanted because of various issues and a massive beach 2 minute's walk away! I guess we were lucky as the the rescue knew us.
Some rescues however I think, need to tighten up on rehoming criteria.
But I definitely think it should be on individual merits..both with the dog and the potential adopters.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Well as I occassionally home check & am in my late sixties I'd certainly not consider late 60's too old. Its only ill health that now stops me from breeding, showing & working my dogs. I've got friends in their 70s still breeding showing & working their dogs. Indeed one friend in her 70's has just cycled along side her dog while he did the 12 mile gait test.
You need to assess the person not their age on a piece of paper.
Abbey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
Well as I occassionally home check & am in my late sixties I'd certainly not consider late 60's too old. Its only ill health that now stops me from breeding, showing & working my dogs. I've got friends in their 70s still breeding showing & working their dogs. Indeed one friend in her 70's has just cycled along side her dog while he did the 12 mile gait test.
You need to assess the person not their age on a piece of paper.
Here here! I can tell you that a lot of dog owners in their
60s are fitter than a lot of 30yr olds i know!
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Totally agree!! I got told off by someone from the rescue I work with for trying to rehome a staffie with a 70 year old woman. This woman was fitter than me, wonderfully in love with dogs, and had 30 years experience of staffies!! They thought a staff was an inappropriate dog for an "old woman"!! And for this reason we're branching out on our own!
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >