Originally Posted by paulandfloyd View Post
This is a very petty tread.
Why?
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Very frustrating for you indeed

And yes I totally agree with what you say. My dog's recall has taken almost a year to achieve and I've kept him on a long line until this week - I don't understand why more dog owners won't do this! It makes things safer for THEIR dogs, as well as fairer on other dogs who may need more space.

I also don't understand people who just stand there and yell for their dogs; if the dog doesn't come FIRST time there is no recall and the owner needs to get over there like FAST and retrieve their dog!!

It might actually be that your best bet is to just walk away with Cain - that may just make the other dog owner panic if they see you're not just going to stand there and suffer while their dog tries to engage with yours. They may then come sprinting over as they realise their dog is set to follow you out of the park......!

If it's any consolation, I've already had one row with a fellow dog owner in our local park, so if you end up telling these twits what you think of them, you'll not be alone!!!
paulandfloyd
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Why?
If people dislike other dogs greeting there’s, why bother going to a place full of strange dogs?

It probably doesn’t help you or the dog, having the dog muzzled, and on a long lead- with a tense/angry owner on the other end of it. (I.e. Moons mum)
Maybe this is why some dogs stay around you longer and take more interest?
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
And yes I totally agree with what you say. My dog's recall has taken almost a year to achieve and I've kept him on a long line until this week - I don't understand why more dog owners won't do this! It makes things safer for THEIR dogs, as well as fairer on other dogs who may need more space.
Very sensible. And the thing is that I know for a fact that even if I get Cain to a point where he plays perfectly and non aggressively with other dogs, I know that around distractions his recall would be hopeless. This is because we haven't been able to safely train off lead around distraction yet. So when we get to the point that he is good with other dogs, I won't magically let him off lead. It's just the beginning as he'll then need to be on a longline for a while until his recall is properly trained as I know he's going to be one of those dash across the park dogs. So he's not going to get a chance to do it! Even if he becomes "friendly", dashing off is still not ok

Hihosilver, you're not the first person to suggest I shout that he's infectious and with the Great Dane yesterday, I really did nearly do it!

Leanne_W The collar sounds like good idea except the owners I have problems with aren't close enough to read it
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by paulandfloyd View Post
If people dislike other dogs greeting there’s, why bother going to a place full of strange dogs?

It probably doesn’t help you or the dog, having the dog muzzled, and on a long lead- with a tense/angry owner on the other end of it. (I.e. Moons mum)
Maybe this is why some dogs stay around you longer and take more interest?
Sorry but I disagree. Firstly my dog has the right to be walked. I'd like you to find me a place in London, particularly when the sun comes out, which is dog free. Even the pavements are heaving with dogs and people so I can't even just street walk him in peace. Complete and utter avoidance of other dogs is impossible. I've done my fair share of midnight walking and even then it's hard to get away from people in London. Richmond Park is 995 hectares which is the best I can do to try and avoid people and I actively do, however when peoples dogs bolt miles across a park, it is out of my control.

As for having a potentially aggressive dog on a lead and muzzled being wrong??? No, it's called taking responsibility for my dog. What would you have him do? Run free?

Why is it petty to expect that if your dog fails recall that you should come and get it?
paulandfloyd
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Sorry but I disagree. Firstly my dog has the right to be walked. I'd like you to find me a place in London, particularly when the sun comes out, which is dog free. Even the pavements are heaving with dogs and people so I can't even just street walk him in peace. Complete and utter avoidance of other dogs is impossible. I've done my fair share of midnight walking and even then it's hard to get away from people in London. Richmond Park is 995 hectares which is the best I can do to try and avoid people and I actively do, however when peoples dogs bolt miles across a park, it is out of my control.

As for having a potentially aggressive dog on a lead and muzzled being wrong??? No, it's called taking responsibility for my dog. What would you have him do? Run free?

Why is it petty to expect that if your dog fails recall that you should come and get it?
So why rehome a dog like that in first place, if you live in a such busy area?
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post

Just want to say you are fab for taking responsibility and putting a muzzle on Cain. Seriously.

At our local park there is a man with two Hungarian Vizlas. Both gorgeous. But one is a very aggressive dog and known for going for other dogs in the park.

The owner refuses point blank to put this dog on a lead, a long line, or to use a muzzle. Last week the Vizla went for my dog and I was furious.

You love your dog and you are helping him as well as trying to be fair to other dogs. If all dog owners were like you parks would be better places!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Because Cain came to us through as desperate situation with almost no background, so we did not know he was dog aggressive, or human aggressive or anything else for that matter. Once his problems became clear it was too late, I'm already his 5th home and rehoming him again was not an option, he'd been through enough. Perhaps it's not an ideal circumstance but had he gone to a rescue centre, he'd have been put to sleep. So we work with what we've got.

I'll turn the question back on you. Why so you think it's acceptable to allow dogs to run so far away from their owners that they are out of control? It's not just dogs, as I said there are busy roads in the park. What if a dog ran out and caused a road accident because it failed to recall? There are wild deer, is it ok for them to chase and kill deer? Or what if a stag impaled the dog because it didn't come back when called? Off lead dogs that do not recall are dangerous for everyone.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Off lead dogs that do not recall are dangerous for everyone.

Too true, to themselves, wildlife, other dogs, other people, motorists etc.

I don't put up with it and no longer have any issues in my regular haunts with the resident irresponsible and incompetent owners.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >