View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2011, 09:13 AM
For dogs in general, ie. ones I have never met, I support charities that care for them, and campaigns against BSL.

For dogs I don't know, but may actually see being either ill treated, in distress, lost etc., then I would do my best to intervene and help, to the best of my ability.

For my own dogs, I put their welfare and well being first. I can't think of anything I wouldn't do if my dogs needed me to do it.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 09:44 AM
Being a dog lover is all about the fact that dogs are my love, passion, hobby and preferred choice. My dog's welfare is paramount but I am very passionate about the welfare of all animals equally.

You can be a dog lover and love other animals, you can also be a dog lover and not like other animals ;o)
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 09:46 AM
I sometimes think I have a different view on loving dogs to alot of people

I love mine as they are an extension of me and my lifestyle, however I don't wrap them in cotton wool, I want them to be dogs as much as they want. I will oversee dangers and try to avoid them, but if one of mine got into a fight I wouldn't be screaming abuse at the other owner as dogs fight
I realise that not everyone out there with a dog has thier dog under control and so therefore I am prepared for the occassional fallout (as dogs do )
Obviously if someone set thier dog on mine then that would be a different thing altogether.
I feed them and watch thier weight, but then I do that with my hubby I cuddle them if they want me too, if they don't they go elsewhere thats fine by me.
I don't try to train tricks like some people I know have train thiers, dancing, fetching leads, etc etc as to me my dogs are not performing seals, but thats just me I have no problem with those that do.
Being BC's they do have mental stimulation like find your ball or find the treat, or herd the chucks but thats only done due to the breed they are and I am award that they need as much a job as exercise, as BC's can become destructive when bored.
But I am more than happy that they enjoy themselves out on walks rather than me training them whilst out if you get my meaning. As long as the more important things, like wait, close, recall, sit, staying still whilst thier leads are being put on etc are in place Im more than happy.
Bruce can count but that was something he showed he could do, the others don't
They are groomed and have regular vet checks, if I feel they are ill they are seen too I don't leave it/worry that the vet might think Im mad, as I really don't care what the vet thinks as long as my mind is put at peace.
They spend alot of time down the fields with the horses, they mooch about, chase each other round, jump in the river, get plastered in horse poo and mud, and come back worn out................to me they have had a great day and I'm only to happy to provide that for them
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 09:48 AM
I worry that my dog is my substitute child

I used to mock people who ''mummy-d'' their dogs but I am a flippin' nightmare for it ;o) I genuinely love him like a child, which also worries me (in terms of how I cope when he's gone).
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 09:53 AM
I think it means that you love the sheer dogginess of them. I mean -
awe at their keen senses
amusement at their enthusiasm
gratitude for their affection
appreciation of their beauty
understanding of their natures
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I think it means that you love the sheer dogginess of them. I mean -
awe at their keen senses
amusement at their enthusiasm
gratitude for their affection
appreciation of their beauty
understanding of their natures
Ooo yes, I mean I love the smell of his feet fgs ;o)
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I worry that my dog is my substitute child

I used to mock people who ''mummy-d'' their dogs but I am a flippin' nightmare for it ;o) I genuinely love him like a child, which also worries me (in terms of how I cope when he's gone).
I almost started that with Mojo then as she has got bigger I've realised she is tougher than all the BC's put together so the cottonwool has come off
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I almost started that with Mojo then as she has got bigger I've realised she is tougher than all the BC's put together so the cottonwool has come off
I don't cotton wool him too much, but it does hurt me if I see him getting ''bullied'' so to speak.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I don't cotton wool him too much, but it does hurt me if I see him getting ''bullied'' so to speak.
Im sure it would, Skye seems to be the one that others dogs bully....but I just call her away and tell her to ''stand up for yourself then'' how cruel does that sound, but I feel if I don't make a big deal of it, she won't bother next time.....and it seems to work.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Im sure it would, Skye seems to be the one that others dogs bully....but I just call her away and tell her to ''stand up for yourself then'' how cruel does that sound, but I feel if I don't make a big deal of it, she won't bother next time.....and it seems to work.
Oh I don't make a fuss of him if it happens, ever, but I do think in my head ''oh, my poor baby'' etc etc. What a wally! ;o)
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >