View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2011, 07:11 PM
my friends dog has been diagnosed with epilepsy and is on diazapan same as lola ds anyone elses dog have this meds as ive read other things they are on for fits thought diazapan was a sedative how would this help an eplilptic fit?
maryl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2011, 07:48 PM
My angel-Murphy, GSD was epileptic for many years and I only ever used Diazepam after a seizure/s, to prevent clustering. Diazepam should not be used as a daily med. Epiphen or Potassium Bromide or both is the usual route. There are other meds if these don't work well. I administered the liquid Diazepam into his anus with a lamb feeder and tube as this way acted quicker and followed up with tablet Diazepam after every seizure during a cluster.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2011, 08:52 PM
thanks for that hes been on it since xmas
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-05-2011, 08:22 AM
The latest update is that Pereg went two weeks and then had another two Grand Mal seizures on the same day, ten hours apart, so her Pb was increased to 50mg in the morning, 25mg evening.

She was getting very restless and antsy every evening from around 6.30-7pm pacing non-stop, nagging, whining, and being very demanding vocally - probably because the Pb was making her extremely hungry.

So I have changed her food and feeding routine and she is now fed three times a day instead of just once, the regular amount of her food being divided into three so that she does not gain weight, and I have been steaming vegetables and adding them to her meals to bulk them out and fill her stomach.

Only time will tell if it works or not. Epilepsy is such a horrid thing to have to live with and cope with.

Malka
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3