Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
A popular UK series that actually gets a lot of suppport although i have had reservations on one or two of the episodes - not how i would handle situation type of thing

Im actually waiting to get folks opinions before saying what series it was as i dont want a "for & against" the series situation which isnt what the thread is about. Its about owners being heavy handed yanking/jerking dogs back to heel.
fair enough.

wys and i asked as we didnt think their were any british dog training shows on telly these days.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 03:55 PM
It would be aired with the trainers agreement i would think.
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Until you get a dog who just sits down with the leash still tight and continues to scan the horizon for 40 minutes. I think I'd still be standing there now if I'd waited him out

I used the about turn method and there's no need to jerk the dog. Sadly it's all too easy to spin around, drop part of the leash so there's plenty of slack, march off and give the dog a hefty yank because you've moved so quickly they haven't even had a chance to follow you. Doing it that way is no better than just yanking them back imo.
I do this method on some dogs but like many of you I always call their names before I turn & march ij the other direction, then if the dog still chooses to ignore, hen hey get tugged (its not like I'm running in the other direction & the diggers janked off their feet) I want my dogs to learn to pay attention to me.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
It concerns me slightly that people are just "turning" expecting the dog to anticipate what youre about to do. If done correctly at the precise moment you turn you should say the dogs name & a command word eg "Rex; turn". Do the same if turning into the dog.
I`m not really sure how to explain without showing you. The lead is already taut. What you do is angle it. The dog notices and looks - and follows. So the dog experiences a change - the pressure doesn`t increase. In the old method - walk backwards - I agree the pressure is increased. But in the Drunken Walk one, the turns are more subtle. The pressure is changed - and the dog checks to see what is going on, sees the handler moving in a new direction and follows. The lead is loose from that point.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
fair enough.

wys and i asked as we didnt think their were any british dog training shows on telly these days.
Its a repeat - you get loads of repeats on the Sky channels. My mum is a avid Vicar of Dibley fan & i swear i know each epi off by heart !
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 06:39 PM
I really hate most TV dog training programs for this exact thing. They always seem to promote these sorts of methods. Some try to stray further away from it, but even on shows where more positive reinforcement is used, you see some of this.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3