View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 01:11 PM
So how do you determine if the dog is content? She isn't frantic when they leave, she's not frantic when they come home. She happily goes out for her walk when they arrive home and loves to go on long walks (especially if they involve snow banks to climb on!). When they're home during the day, she sleeps much of it away. She seems like a pretty content dog. Not anxious. Not frantic to spend time with her people when they're there. She puts up no fuss while they're out.

She's not kenneled during the day, has the option of walking around the house and doing what she wants. She doesn't get into things, doesn't tear up things, doesn't bark and howl all day. Those things would make me worried about the dog and her mental state. But I see NOTHING in her demeanor either when she's home alone or when she's with people that says she's an unhappy dog.

Someone stopping in for 5 minutes to let the dogs out, which seems to be what everyone is recommending here, is no mental or physical stimulation. They see someone for a moment, get to pee, and that's it?

The reality is people HAVE to work. If only people who didn't work had dogs, there would be a lot more in rescue and a lot more killed every year. It seems that everyone on this site believes only the handful of people who work from home should be allowed to have dogs (and just those who work from home, not stay at home moms or dads, because kids are bad too). Unfortunately folks, that's not reality.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
So how do you determine if the dog is content? She isn't frantic when they leave, she's not frantic when they come home. She happily goes out for her walk when they arrive home and loves to go on long walks (especially if they involve snow banks to climb on!). When they're home during the day, she sleeps much of it away. She seems like a pretty content dog. Not anxious. Not frantic to spend time with her people when they're there. She puts up no fuss while they're out.

She's not kenneled during the day, has the option of walking around the house and doing what she wants. She doesn't get into things, doesn't tear up things, doesn't bark and howl all day. Those things would make me worried about the dog and her mental state. But I see NOTHING in her demeanor either when she's home alone or when she's with people that says she's an unhappy dog.

Someone stopping in for 5 minutes to let the dogs out, which seems to be what everyone is recommending here, is no mental or physical stimulation. They see someone for a moment, get to pee, and that's it?

The reality is people HAVE to work. If only people who didn't work had dogs, there would be a lot more in rescue and a lot more killed every year. It seems that everyone on this site believes only the handful of people who work from home should be allowed to have dogs (and just those who work from home, not stay at home moms or dads, because kids are bad too). Unfortunately folks, that's not reality.
she sounds resigned to being bored out of her tree. Sorry. JMO
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Yes that's YOUR opinion and I think it's wrong. You don't know her and I do. So thanks for your opinion, but she's a happy content little dog. Your putting your OWN emotions into it, I think.

I mean, seriously. My dog sleeps much of the day away while we're home. Do you think SHE is resigned too? Do you spend every moment of the day paying attention to your dog? If not, do you think when he/she is laying there asleep he/she is just "resigned" to not having your attention?

Most dogs sleep for at LEAST 14 hours a day, some even more (and my parent's dog is older, almost 10, so I'd imagine she sleeps more than some). She snoozes throughout the day, gets up and checks out what's going on outside, and then curls back up to sleep some more. She does the same thing when my parent's are home, so I'm not sure how she's resigned when no one is there, but content (?) when they are.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 02:53 PM
My dog sleeps much of the day away while we're home.
So does mine and I'm home practically 24/7. Unless I'm actively doing something with him (training, a walk, play etc) then he's asleep on the sofa. I doubt he's resigned to being "bored out of his tree" as if he's not content to sleep he will simply hit me with a toy, get up in my face or growl at me until I do something with him. Usually when I'm ill and haven't done much for a day or two.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 02:59 PM
My ADULT dogs are left for 8 hours a day, it has not done them any harm, it may not be what is considered perfect, but they have not done too badly on this regime, but I am a very experienced dog owner.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 03:16 PM
To be honest, some people who leave their dog 8 hours a day do more with their dogs than some people who are home all day. I know my friend is home all day and her dog spends about 20 hours a day shut in the kitchen alone because she can't be bothered with him. I know others who work full time and devote the vast majority of their free time to their dogs. Might not be ideal but the dogs seem happy and well adjusted.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
To be honest, some people who leave their dog 8 hours a day do more with their dogs than some people who are home all day..
This is still not a justification for leaving dogs for eight hours solid, several days a week - IMHO.

I guess also it does depend on the dogs. My young Lab sleeps for maybe an hour during the day. The rest of the time he adores company. He would not be at all happy being left for eight hours at a time.

At present my brother's girlfriend's dog, who is nine, is being left for seven or eight hours at a time. I've been going over every afternoon to check on him and it's not great - he's always out of water, desperate to go outside, and craving company.

I accept other dogs might be fine being left alone.
Abbey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Personally, i wouldnt - but i guess a lot would depend on the individuals.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 05:02 PM
This is still not a justification for leaving dogs for eight hours solid, several days a week - IMHO.
I never said it was, just pointing out that a dog who's owner has to work full time can have a better quality of life than a dog who has someone home with it all the time. Not everybody is lucky enough to be able to not have to leave their dog, there are ways round them being left for 8 hours solid but it's still not ideal.
Carla0305
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
My ADULT dogs are left for 8 hours a day, it has not done them any harm, it may not be what is considered perfect, but they have not done too badly on this regime, but I am a very experienced dog owner.
How do you keep your dogs when your out? Are they in the home, or garden? maybe in a run?
did you try something and it didnt work?

At the moment mine are rarely left alone, but im pretty sure at some point in the future that may change.
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »