Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Awful. Why the hell do people seem to want dogs but then want to subdue/restrict/abate everything that makes them a dog?
- if we had the answer to that - we would not need so many rescue centres!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
- if we had the answer to that - we would not need so many rescue centres!
Good point!
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 09:51 AM
I think de-barking is a horrible practise, and like C&D, I believe it's right up there with de-clawing cats. However, with the horrible situations shelters and rescues are in (over population) if it's between de-barking/clawing, and getting rid of the animal, well, there is a place for it. I would never do it myself, and honestly, it's very hard to find a vet that'll do it. Dogs bark, if you dont like it, dont get one.

Deaf dogs often do have bad bite inhibition as pups. Mouse was a shark. They dont learn from littermates how hard to bite, as they cant hear their brothers and sisters yelp.

I would think that a de-barked dog wouldn't be able to growl properly, tho I'm not sure of that fact.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 10:57 AM
I could think of some humans I would want to de-bark instead of the dogs ! Horrible practice
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

31-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
I think de-barking is a horrible practise, and like C&D, I believe it's right up there with de-clawing cats. However, with the horrible situations shelters and rescues are in (over population) if it's between de-barking/clawing, and getting rid of the animal, well, there is a place for it. I would never do it myself, and honestly, it's very hard to find a vet that'll do it. Dogs bark, if you dont like it, dont get one.

Deaf dogs often do have bad bite inhibition as pups. Mouse was a shark. They dont learn from littermates how hard to bite, as they cant hear their brothers and sisters yelp.

I would think that a de-barked dog wouldn't be able to growl properly, tho I'm not sure of that fact.
I assume thats were it comes from. Interesting about the cc litter, maybe similar thing because mum wasn't able to yelp/growl.

Adam
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 09:47 AM
My Phillip was debarked by his (cruel, idiot) breeder. He was a sheltie (known barkers) as this lady had many shelties, she just had them all debarked as a matter of course. (she also gave them all away when she got married because her new hubby said so, then when she divorced had the nerve to ask for Phil back!)

Anyway, Phil never, ever, even tried to bark. I got him when he was 8 years old, so I can't tell you for sure if this is just because he's not a barky dog, or because not being able to bark broke his spirit and he stopped trying. The only time he ever made an attempt at noise was if you stepped on his paw or some such, he would try to yelp and it came out as an airy whispery sound. Very sad indeed.

Its unfortunately very common here to have "show" breeders of dogs who are vocal (shelties, collies, etc) to just debark their whole kennel. Worked for a vet who did the procedure for a local Collie breeder. It was brutal and barbaric. Sometimes it wouldn't "Take" and the dog would need to be done again.

Needs to be banned. Along with declawing, docking and cropping.
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 07:35 PM
De-barking cropping de-clawing tail docking all disgusting.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3