Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
They now say getting Tess was the best thing that could have happened to me.

Dogs make great listeners. They do not judge they just accept you as you are and they don't tell you to pull yourself together when you cry. They just snuggle up and comfort you just when you need it.
I can't agree more.

I have always lived alone, since leaving home at 21 (even living in shared houses I was still emotionally alone) but have never been so contented living alone since I brought my dog into my life. The companionship he gives fulfils me - beforehand I'd been looking for a relationship to address that need, but it was only when I got my dog I realised what I'd been doing! (if that makes sense).
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
I can't agree more.

I have always lived alone, since leaving home at 21 (even living in shared houses I was still emotionally alone) but have never been so contented living alone since I brought my dog into my life. The companionship he gives fulfils me - beforehand I'd been looking for a relationship to address that need, but it was only when I got my dog I realised what I'd been doing! (if that makes sense).
Its great that you have found fulfilment from your dog.

I think a relationship as a solution for feeling isolated emotionally can foster dependence whereas the companionship from a dog fosters independence whilst fulfilling a natural need for companionship. You are then in a better place emotionally if and when you want a relationship to enter into it for healthier reasons.

I lived alone in a flat for years with Tess and it was completely different to being totally alone. I was quite happy pottering about indoors not seeing anybody and when we went out just the odd smile, hello or a brief chat with fellow dog-walkers made me feel part of the human race.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

30-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
Does anyone else think that dogs should be allowed to accompany owners more(in lot more places).Sorry if in wrong section(or daft question)
Many thanks.
But they are in most of mainland Europe, France is especially well known for allowing dogs almost everywhere, not in food shops but many cafes, shops, hotels, are very dog friendly.

Further East in Poland / Czechland / Austria you can take your dog around the small town shops, I've often seen them tied up outside the baker, the butcher, and the hardware stores.

It only seems to be the UK where there is a sort of hidden PC Police force which prevents people from doing the same.

So many of the British public are so much in the hands of the media that they believe anything that is written or broadcast by those numpties and this is why they are against dogs almost anywhere in towns these days.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Thankyou for all your lovely replies. I don't know what i'd do without my dog, she gives so much and through difficult times(anytime) is always here for me. Am so glad that others have found/do find that their dogs can help them and give companionship, love in their own special way
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2011, 06:58 PM
A lovely story....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...-Olympics.html
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 07:05 PM
That is a wonderful story, thankyou, am and at the same time. Dogs have so much to give and really are our best friends(sorry if am biased)
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by Stormpants View Post
A lovely story....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...-Olympics.html
What an incredible dog and real heartwarming story
Aslanda
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2011, 10:15 PM
I got Dutchie, as a 4 month old pup, because I needed a dog that got along with senior cats. So myf riends suggested a pup. Plus I felt that once she grew up, she would make an excellent guard dog as protection.

She gets me out walking daily & meeting people, who I would be shy of approaching without her. Plus she seems to sense who is trustworthy & has steered me away from some people on our walks. She is an excellent counselor, listens to my grumbles; plus an excellent guard dog! I would be lost without her.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3