View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 04:56 PM
But there is more than just the poodle that doesn't shed!
Quite a few breeds I believe, so surely theres still no reason to cross on purpose to create a 'new non-shedding dog'!?
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Or possibly less able to groom as they are disabled in some way.
Yes that is a good point I hadnt thought of that,
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Do people continue to get crosses for the non-shedding side of things!?!?!?

What gets me is the fact they are then surprised when the dog starts to drop its coat!

Just wanna scream!

......and breath.
Because, unfortunately, like all too many of our own species, they are lazy, ignorant so and so's who cannot be bothered to put in a bit of effort, or to do some proper research - preferably both!

I have two of the most sheddy types of dogs imagineable. So what? Who cares my house is usually festooned with dog tumbleweed. So what that we have stripped out all the carpets, and have stone, slate, wood and laminate floors. Many of our friends think we are mad, but I think we are just well balanced, sensible dog owners who can differentiate between what is important in life, and what isn't. An immaculate house and beautifully manicured garden has never been anywhere near the top of my list of priorities!! If people don't like to come to my house because they think it is dirty, then there is just one direction then can head in, and that is away from my front door!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
....and another thing......

I spend a lot of time in my classes asking people if they have any other issues they wish to discuss, I give them all my contact details so (if they do not want to discuss it in class) they can contact me at home, we have 1-2-1 sessions initially to talk about any specific issues......

However - nope - some people (as they have had dogs before) know they can deal with the problems, so don;t tell you......until it has got really bad and they suddenly realise they can't

Bad week!
O dear me too, just back from 9 days much needed holiday in Devon, and had swine flu! Sending you healing hugs re the bad week
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by spockky boy View Post
I have to agree out short haired GSD and neighbours 2 labs moulted far more than our long haired GSD and other neighbours akita!! Could of made a 2nd dog with the amount our short hair our dog produced
My Pointers moult more than the GSDs. Little spiky hairs that get absolutely everywhere. A bit like JRT hairs.
50% of a poodle/ whatever litter will have the whatever coat - and you won`t know till the dog is mature. Why not just get one of the non-shedding breeds?
These are: (according to a dog grooming site)
Airedale Terrier
Australian Terrier
Basenji
Bichon Frise
Boston Terrier
Bouvier des Flandres
Cairn Terrier
Chinese Crested
Havanese
Kerry Blue Terrier
Maltese
Schnauzer
Norfolk Terrier
Norwich Terrier
Poodle
Shih Tzu
Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier
Tibetan Terrier
Welsh Terrier
Yorkshire Terrier
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
I will NEVER get why people don't just get poodles! Or Schnauzers They come in three sizes so you can get a toy dog or a medium sized dog or a larger sized dog. Like Schnauzers They don't all look like silly froo-froo dogs like the show ones do with that awful cut. They're handsome, smart dogs! Like Schnauzers And you're guaranteed to get a dog who doesn't shed.
Like Schnauzers

Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
But there is more than just the poodle that doesn't shed! Schnauzers, anyone?
Quite a few breeds I believe, (Schnauzers) so surely theres still no reason to cross on purpose to create a 'new non-shedding dog'!?
I love poodles, intend to have one one day, but they are not the only breed that doesn't shed!

J.
gedor99
New Member!
Male 

17-01-2011, 07:45 PM
I have asthma which at times is bad - we have three dogs - toy poodles. When I met my other half she had one poodle & I thought it was going to be one of those fussy yappy dogs. They are very intelligent (supposedly 2nd to a Border Collie), want to play & run (they were bred as retrieving dogs) and the people who show these and give them ridiculous cuts just make people think they are silly dogs.

I have nothing against the so called designer dogs - the labradoodle was first bred in Australia as a working dog for someone who was allergic to dogs - you got the docile Labradoor with an intelligent non-shedder & it worked.

Breeding with poodles at least has got more people to know about poodles but as Chris Packham (from Springwatch) says
Get out there and start praising polecats but remember....poodles rule!

you can see what else he says about his poodles Itchy & Scratchy
at http://www.chrispackham.co.uk/Itchy_and_Scratchy/

Thanks
Ged
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post

I love poodles, intend to have one one day, but they are not the only breed that doesn't shed!
Of course they're not! But it seems every backyard breeder wants to breed their dogs with poodles to make non-shedding dogs as if poodles have some sort of magic non-sheeding gene. You don't hear about too many purposely bred Schnauzer mixes for that reasoning but you hear a lot about Goldendoodles and Labradoodles and Yorkie-poos and hell, even "Schnoodles" (Schnauzer/poodle mix). I just wonder why people don't want POODLES when so many seem to desperately want poodle mixes.

And there are plenty of other dogs who don't shed, like Wheaten terriers, Bichons, Malteses, and others.

Also..."Docile labrador" seems like an oxymoron to me. lol
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
Like Schnauzers

J.
oh, that post made me laugh!
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
Of course they're not! But it seems every backyard breeder wants to breed their dogs with poodles to make non-shedding dogs as if poodles have some sort of magic non-sheeding gene. You don't hear about too many purposely bred Schnauzer mixes for that reasoning but you hear a lot about Goldendoodles and Labradoodles and Yorkie-poos and hell, even "Schnoodles" (Schnauzer/poodle mix). I just wonder why people don't want POODLES when so many seem to desperately want poodle mixes.

And there are plenty of other dogs who don't shed, like Wheaten terriers, Bichons, Malteses, and others.

Also..."Docile labrador" seems like an oxymoron to me. lol
Exactly! That was what I was getting at, at the moment it seems if it's a dog it needs to be crossed with a poodle!!!

Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
oh, that post made me laugh!
Good, that was the idea!

J.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >