View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 04:20 PM
I prefer a wiry coat mostly and i'm not too fussed about short coats. When it comes to gundogs for example, I always prefer the wires because I think GSP's, Weims, Vizslas etc look a bit too boney faced for my liking. The wire coat softens the features somewhat. I dont like thick heavy coats for example rough collies, shelties. I dont mind anything in between though!

I dont like squashed faces neither and i'm not too keen on very long faces without a stop (again, rough collies spring to mind along with BSD's). I prefer a squarer looking face with a good stop!

I like an athletic looking dog though...not keen on heavy set, ponderous looking breeds but I dont like skinny dogs neither (whippets etc do nothing for me).
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I prefer a wiry coat mostly and i'm not too fussed about short coats. When it comes to gundogs for example, I always prefer the wires because I think GSP's, Weims, Vizslas etc look a bit too boney faced for my liking. The wire coat softens the features somewhat. I dont like thick heavy coats for example rough collies, shelties. I dont mind anything in between though!

I dont like squashed faces neither and i'm not too keen on very long faces without a stop (again, rough collies spring to mind along with BSD's). I prefer a squarer looking face with a good stop!

I like an athletic looking dog though...not keen on heavy set, ponderous looking breeds but I dont like skinny dogs neither (whippets etc do nothing for me).
quite fussy arent you
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
Really? I didnt know that, I thought they were a relatively 'new' breed. Learn something new everyday!
Honest! although the modern type is newish!
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Honest! although the modern type is newish!
Thats really interesting to hear, Id of always said they were a newish breed lol. Thanks for enlightening me
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
quite fussy arent you
Definately, I think there are more breeds I wouldnt own than would TBH.

Like people have said on another thread on here recently (cant think which one it is now), a dog should be pleasing to look at and I go for a type I find nice on the eye as well as fitting into my lifestyle.

For example, I do actually love the look of Newfies, BMD's etc but I would never go for one because they arent high energy or athletic enough.

Oh, and if I wasnt being fussy enough, I dont go for small dogs neither, cant be bothered bending right down to administer treats whilst training! I was watching some little breeds doing heelwork last night....Nightmare!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 04:46 PM
I like GSDs and BCs (probably why i find Jake so gorgeous ) and bull breeds too. I also like dogs that have different colours and markings, and not all the one colour (although, i do love white GSDs). I dont like mega squished faces, like pugs but i like squished faces like boxers Also, any wee quirks they might have... such as a curly piggy tail

I'm not too bothered about the coat, but im not keen on wirey coats.

Oh, and nothing too small... medium sized up
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Big dogs with long muzzles and pricked ears, any length of coat, are my fave, but any dog that looks natural and doesn't look too messed about with, if that makes sense. I suppose I like athletic, energetic dogs, that aren't too fussy

But have a huge soft spot for JRT's, so size isn't so important, it's more the natural look and energy.........I also have a secret yearning for French Bulldogs
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Definately, I think there are more breeds I wouldnt own than would TBH.

Like people have said on another thread on here recently (cant think which one it is now), a dog should be pleasing to look at and I go for a type I find nice on the eye as well as fitting into my lifestyle.

For example, I do actually love the look of Newfies, BMD's etc but I would never go for one because they arent high energy or athletic enough.

Oh, and if I wasnt being fussy enough, I dont go for small dogs neither, cant be bothered bending right down to administer treats whilst training! I was watching some little breeds doing heelwork last night....Nightmare!
dont mind being fussy im the same. there are alot i wouldnt own.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 05:51 PM
You can't beat the athleticism, energy & enthusiasm of most of the HPR breeds. They are not over exaggerated and for the most part, are very true to their working roots. I prefer the wires as well as I love hairy (but not long haired) dogs.

Bull breeds, giant breeds, hounds, mastiff types, most toy dogs and most sight hounds don't appeal to me for one reason or another.
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-01-2011, 06:43 PM
I don't like exaggerations and more often than not I prefer working type gundogs.
I realised I've got a thing about ears I like the ear set of dogs like my gsp / working spaniels / glp / etc as tend to be higher set and don't fold as opposed to the ears show spaniels and some show setters wich I don't like.
I like dogs that are reasonably solidly put together not loose like elbows sicking out etc. Tight skin around eyes. I prefer short and long-ish coated dogs (long coats like you see on working gundogs).

Each to their own
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »