Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
borderstorm2
New Member!
Male 

23-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
thanks... it seems the sensible thing to do is not bother while im living at the OHs its not the most ideal situation. hopefully i wont be there forever. it just means daphni wont ever have a litter because shes three next year.
I would have thought only being three was a lifeline for you not something to be overly concerned about. Plenty of people haven't bred bitches until 5/6 years of age so you have plenty of time yet. The situation you are in is not ideal and you are aware of that but don't give up. Where there's a will........
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by borderstorm2 View Post
I would have thought only being three was a lifeline for you not something to be overly concerned about. Plenty of people haven't bred bitches until 5/6 years of age so you have plenty of time yet. The situation you are in is not ideal and you are aware of that but don't give up. Where there's a will........
i thought that the best time to have a first litter from a bitch was no older than 3? can it cause more complications if the bitch is older?

also the other dogs could go into another room, we would have the 3 in ours, but they all get on fine and the boys could be moved in with the others while the pups are there... the only other thing im thinking of doing is maybe moving in at my mums to have the litter...
borderstorm2
New Member!
Male 

23-12-2010, 02:52 PM
i thought that the best time to have a first litter from a bitch was no older than 3? can it cause more complications if the bitch is older?

also the other dogs could go into another room, we would have the 3 in ours, but they all get on fine and the boys could be moved in with the others while the pups are there... the only other thing im thinking of doing is maybe moving in at my mums to have the litter...
A fully mature bitch at 5/6 years of age in perfect health is no more 'at risk' for a first litter than a bitch of say 2.5 years of age when I personally start. Some people would say they are more mentally fit to have a first litter later in life than earlier and depending on the bitch I would agree with that. The important bit and always will be is the health aspect. Never go into any breeding whether it be with a young bitch or an older one without first consulting your vet and having the bitch fully examined.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 03:05 PM
A fully mature bitch at 5/6 years of age in perfect health is no more 'at risk' for a first litter than a bitch of say 2.5 years of age when I personally start. Some people would say they are more mentally fit to have a first litter later in life than earlier and depending on the bitch I would agree with that. The important bit and always will be is the health aspect. Never go into any breeding whether it be with a young bitch or an older one without first consulting your vet and having the bitch fully examined.
shes fine temperment and health wise. she just has one more eye test to be done, which will be done in the new year. if that comes back clear then she is perfect! if not i wont breed from her anyway.
borderstorm2
New Member!
Male 

23-12-2010, 03:12 PM
shes fine temperment and health wise. she just has one more eye test to be done, which will be done in the new year. if that comes back clear then she is perfect! if not i wont breed from her anyway.
What is the eye test for, CEA or just a routine check? Sorry I may have missed it but what breed is your dog?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 03:15 PM
What is the eye test for, CEA or just a routine check? Sorry I may have missed it but what breed is your dog?
oh sorry only just noticed youre a new member.. my dog is a chinese crested. so she has her eyes tested for PRA and glucoma which she has had and is all clear, now she just needs testing for PLL.
borderstorm2
New Member!
Male 

23-12-2010, 03:52 PM
oh sorry only just noticed youre a new member.. my dog is a chinese crested. so she has her eyes tested for PRA and glucoma which she has had and is all clear, now she just needs testing for PLL.
Well good luck with all of that. I'm a Border Collie man myself but always appreciate the breeds others also have. Hope all goes well when you do breed.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3