Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Maybe this thread shoud be renamed:

'Letting your scent hound off the lead could kill' ??

Sorry your dog got in an accident - hope he recovers ok.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2010, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by tokiayla View Post

I don`t know - I`ve got an ex-hunting dog (beagle x hound most likely) and though it took a lot of work to teach recall, we got there in the end. However, I wouldn`t let him off a line anywhere he would scent game.
I too hope the dog recovers - but tbh it just sounds like one of those awful accidents you can`t really forsee.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
I'm sorry your dog got hurt but...how did he end up half a mile away from you following someone who had given him treats before? Even if someone had given my dog a whole chicken before she wouldn't have the chance to follow them that far away from me.
Frankly if I had a dog like that I wouldn't let the dog off lead. Period. I'm sorry to be a bitch but I don't have much sympathy for someone who knows their dog may run off after food and lets them off lead anyway. I'm sorry the dog got hit but it's not the person's fault who had been treating them. Shifting the blame away from the owner to someone else who has no idea that their dog is going to run off is ridiculous.

Edited to add: I see the OP says the dog was following his scent trail. I sure would like to know how the OP knows exactly what this dog was following. Could have been anything, so why assume it's the person who treated him? Sounds to me like the OP is just looking to blame someone else when it's fairly clear whose fault this is.
MY point is that if your dog is likely to bolt (and since you seem to "know" exactly what scent your dog is following this has happened many times before) then don't let the dog off lead. This all could have been prevented by using a leash.

And yes you SHOULD keep your dogs on leash. If it's not a person, the dog may follow the scent of a squirrel or rabbit or some other creature (and really? you THINK you know what scent he is following but you cannot possibly know what he follows every single time). If the dog doesn't have a solid enough recall that YOU are more interesting than those scents then the dog shouldn't have the freedom to run off. It's really pretty simple.

I'm VERY sorry your dog got injured and I hope that he makes a quick and full recovery. But placing the blame on someone ELSE doesn't help the situation.
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi

whilst i feel sorry for your poor dog(hope he recovers soon) if he follow trails like that he shouldnt be off the lead in unenclosed places you cant blame other people on a hound following its instincts

re the treat thing... my old lurcher suffered terribly with colitis people would always say only one etc..and my boy would suffer later

I am afraid I agree with all these comments too

Whilst I am very sorry your dog got injured the blame lies entirely with you. From you comments it seems you didn't even see anyone who may have previously treated your dog? So you are assuming that is the scent he went after, but you don't actually know??

It is up to YOU to ensure the safety of your dog, so if that means keeping him on a long line or limited to enclosed spaces then so be it.

You are obviously lashing out in anger at your own stupidity at allowing your dog off lead, and are looking for some one else to blame
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I don`t know - I`ve got an ex-hunting dog (beagle x hound most likely) and though it took a lot of work to teach recall, we got there in the end. However, I wouldn`t let him off a line anywhere he would scent game.
I too hope the dog recovers - but tbh it just sounds like one of those awful accidents you can`t really forsee.
Good point!

Maybe 'Letting ANY dog with less than 100% recall off lead COULD kill' ?
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2010, 02:10 PM
To be honest, any dog could decide to take off for any reason one day. My rottie mix had an excellent recall yet one day took it upon himself to swim across the river and go exploring, completely deaf to me calling him. I had to go swimming after him. He was about 3 years old at the time and had never done anything like it before and never did anything like it again.

I know Rupert would be off like a shot after a rabbit or cat or other animal so he only gets to be completely off leash in one place, anywhere else and he's on a long line.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
I am afraid I agree with all these comments too

Whilst I am very sorry your dog got injured the blame lies entirely with you. From you comments it seems you didn't even see anyone who may have previously treated your dog? So you are assuming that is the scent he went after, but you don't actually know??

It is up to YOU to ensure the safety of your dog, so if that means keeping him on a long line or limited to enclosed spaces then so be it.

You are obviously lashing out in anger at your own stupidity at allowing your dog off lead, and are looking for some one else to blame
I also agreed - didnt want to get into it though - but I'm here now... I do hope your dog gets better but it is just one of those unfortunate accidents like wrong time and place sorta thing. I have only ever known one beagle and her recall is 95% (well the other 5% is for poos and wees and rolling in things - no dog is perfect)

Sarah - when I was sailing a lab decided to take it upon himself to swim out to a boye that I was practicing round (big race later that day) totally oblivious to it's owners and managed to get it's foot tangled in the rope hanging from the boye that needed cutting - me and my instructer had to get the dog into the boat (a little enterprise) and take it back - nothing bad happened he must have just thought the boy was a giant tennis ball I did cut off the tangling rope though
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Good point!

except in a secure or rural area? Or if the owner can run faster than the dog? Or on a line? Or as part of training?
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
except in a secure or rural area? Or if the owner can run faster than the dog? Or on a line? Or as part of training?
Secure area definitely. I don't think I'd let off a dog who had poor or no recall in a rural area because something STILL could happen (including being shot, at least around here).
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Letting ANY dog off leash COULD kill it. Any dog can decide not to obey a recall after all. Course if you know your dogs recall is poor then picking your areas carefully is a good idea.

And I've just realised, I've not said anything at all about the OPs post, I thought I'd posted last night but apparently not. I hope the dog makes a quick and full recovery.
JIMMY LAW
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-12-2010, 03:00 PM
I have had this Beagle for 4yrs and beleive me when i tell you he has only run off to people who have treated him in the past,and that is my point apart from this i would say he has a 95% recall in fact i would say he has the best recall i have seen personally in a beagle, I went on a beagle walk with upto 75 dogs with many people commenting on how good he was, and as for me lashing out for my own stupidity you couldnt be further from the truth, i know the bread and there traits and that is why i do not want people feeding my dogs.As for keeping him on a lead you must be mad, a dog i have had from 6weeks and has been off the lead since he was twelve weeks and now you want to put him on a lead. we walk our dogs three hours a day 99% off the lead and sorry to keep repeating myself but the only problems i have, is with the idiots who insist on treating my dogs after i have said no.
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »