View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 10:29 AM
I loved the dog on the Littlest Hobo too, I liked Lassie but the Hobo did it for me. I managed to rein myself in for some years before having a GSD (lifestyle and all that) but eventually my husband got a lovely boy and intended to employ him as a guard dog - well you can guess the rest. After letting 2 or 3 different burglars into our garage premises and then cutting his foot on some glass he came home and never left. I fell in love with him and the breed completely and forever. Unfortunately he had EPI which was controllable but then developed CDRM so we didn't have him very long but I promised myself when I was able to, I would have more and I've got 2 now. They are both everything I thought they would be and more. After my family of which they are a part, they are the loves of my life.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by Jenn~n~Luke View Post
To be honest, I don't really know why I've always had an obsession with Great Danes. I know that when I was a baby, my parents had two...but I can't even remember them, never could...yet all my life I have been super drawn to the breed. Over the years, I just had to learn as much as I could about them. I spent hours upon hours lurking in dane forums, looking at every picture of a GD the internet had to offer every day. I loved hearing the stories Mom told about her danes. Then when we had a Borzoi whom we took to dog shows, I would always run to the GDs there to meet them, ask questions, just bask in the glory that is a dane I guess
There is something about these guys...they are so human like in so many ways, you have to spend time with them to really see it. Even through all my research, I never really "got it" until I had Luke..just how different they are from any other breed. I've been around, or had, quite a few different breeds over the years, and none of them have whatever it is that danes have. It's something that is hard to describe.

I feel the same about BCs - I think it is something that is hard to describe - but once you have found 'your' breed there is a click that happens.

I find it great that people find that special bond in so many different breeds. I am glad that ou found yours
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 11:13 AM
For me it's the GSD and Akita - maybe because I grew up with them. I will now always have one or the other (sometimes both I suppose too). I was also a great fan of the Littlest Hobo, which reinforced my need for my own GSDs as an adult.

having said that, I now have 3 GSDs and a lurcher. I've never been attraxcted to lurchers or any sighthound for that matter, but Tashi is fantastic and although she seems to need a lot more care and stimulation that the GSDs, it's well worth the effort.

I like Danes too but have never had one. When I was littel my grandparents had a SBT whose best friend was Greta - the neighbour's Dane. Amusing to watch them play together given the size difference. Zane has a Dane freind too, Max. Max is completely loopy and very much stil a puppy, if an overgrown one. In my experience (although I could be wrong) Danes seem to portray a certain allofness, giving teh impression they need no-one. I'm not sure I like that in a dog. if I wantesd that I'd get a cat. Although obviously Max and Greta were exceptions to this so maybe it's my limited experience of them that makes me think this.
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
Zane has a Dane freind too, Max. Max is completely loopy and very much stil a puppy, if an overgrown one. In my experience (although I could be wrong) Danes seem to portray a certain allofness, giving teh impression they need no-one. I'm not sure I like that in a dog. if I wantesd that I'd get a cat. Although obviously Max and Greta were exceptions to this so maybe it's my limited experience of them that makes me think this.
That would almost assuredly be because you are not that dane's owner. TRUST me...danes NEED their people/person more than you can almost stand at times lol. Luke loves people, but he also lets me know when he's had enough of people too. But with me? He can't ever get enough of his Mamma. They are a very needy breed that way. They need constant attention...a lonely dane in many cases, is a dead or very unhealthy,unstable dane. Definitely not cat like They can be very aloof with strangers, but this depends on a few factors. Socialization, sex, and individual personality. For example, while Luke loves people, he probably isn't going to spend alot of time cuddling and loving on you, even if he likes you, but with me....we're attatched at the hip. They're definitely not a breed for people who like their personal space. ETA:: I only know a couple of dane owners, out of literally thousands whom I speak with online, who have danes that aren't velcro dogs...and they are all female. I have yet to meet anyone with a male dane who isn't.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Rin Tin Tin!
And Rebel in Champion the Wonder Horse.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Dont get me wrong - I love my mutts, but there are some dogs I cant say no too I also love K9 and T&H - Louie's gf is a DdB looks just like Hooch too
I love the crossbreeds coz they are so unique i dont have a specific breed i like... i like too many! so i think for me, it will always just be whatever dog suits me best at a rescue... no matter what breed (as long as it isnt too small )... i do have a thing for GSDs, Boxers and SBTs though
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 04:05 PM
I never stood a chance My Grandparents owned a farm & farmland on Gravelly Lane Nr Cofton Park ( sold off now) and thier neighbouring farm owned by the Haynes's although some of thiers is still a working farm. Gran had a couple of dogs (BC's) Gyp and The Gaffa, really thats my fond memories right from the off, they always seemed perfect (Im sure they weren't)
They also had a blind terrier(JRTx) called Titch, she was remarkable, born blind and lived till she was 18, best guard dog on earth I was wearing nappies when my love of BC's was formed
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Had collie crosses whilst I was growing up but we only had Jed because my partner at the time wanted a border collie, I wouldnt have chosen one. Jessie was chosen for her temperament, not her breed.

I dont have a huge passion for BC's but they do hold a place in my heart because they are the breed i'm most experienced with and I think they are misunderstood by most of the people who own them.

My love of GWP's comes from owning half of one!
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 03:20 PM
When Iwas six my dad brought home our first GSD, we took her training & adored her, From then on I was hooked. GSDs all the way. They were the only breed I really wanted. Now over 60 years later I still feel the same.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 03:31 PM
As a child my family always had BCs/ BCXs so i think its an imbuilt thing with me lol.
The 2 breeds I adore are BCs and GSDs, I cant really imagine having other breeds, although I havent actually got a GSD....yet

However my OH likes beagles, but adores GSDs
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >