View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 02:24 PM
We will have one dog - if we do have to take care of her, who will spend the night and the day when we're not there in a kennel with a run. All our dogs kennels will have heating in and we do have medium to long haired dogs so I dont think they will be too cold. Of course when we do get on our feet - we will be having a conservatory and extention in which there will be a dog door. So I suppose I dont have outside dogs completely, just part timers lol.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Mine are inside and always will be. I couldnt stand the thought of my dogs being outside and not allowed the comfort of a nice warm house, as this is what they are used to.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 02:46 PM
All our small dogs used to live in the house with us. When we had Ailsa hubby decided that she had to sleep outside in a kennel at night and during the day if we were going out. Having got here, the heat of the day was much too intense to leave her in a wooden kennel for even a small amount of time, so in she came. At night SHE was quite happy going into her kennel but due to the sand fly problems over here throughout the summer she had to come back in overnight. In winter it's far too cold, so in she came again!! Hubby couldn't win! when we had Jake the same old argument came up (much like the views already mentioned) the result is we now have 2 GSDs sleeping on the sofa at night. Hubby is threatening to build a purpose built kennel for them to sleep outside but it hasn't happened yet and I am hoping it won't. To be honest I don't think it would bother them to sleep outside in a nice comfy building but personally I like having them close to me and certainly when I am here on my own I need them very close.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 04:04 PM
All except one of mine live outside in kennels. They are all in pairs, except Hamish, he doesn't like to share his space, but he has 2/3 double duvets to keep him warm.

My dog's aren't pets, they are working dogs, OH's tools if you like. He needs them to be able to do his job to the standard the bosses want it done, and it just isn't practical to have them all in the house.

They spend most of their time out and about with us, doing different things, depending on the time of year. This time of year its shoot days, when we are rearing, they just come out and potter around the rearing field, when the pheasants poults are put out, they are out dogging in with us. They also get their walks, training sessions etc etc. If they need to come in, because of injury or they need a bath, then they come in, other than that they are outside.

My dogs don't know what its like to sleep on a sofa, live in a house, they are perfectly happy in the kennels. I know not every dog is suited to living outside, our patterdale, Midge, lives in the house. He gets stressed out in kennels, barks all day and chews the end of his tail.

Just because they live outside, it doesn't mean that I don't love them! I love them all to bits and treat each one as the individual they are.

I think its just a matter of opinion and each to their own.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 04:18 PM
My dogs are inside-dogs, however, what I would really like is a kennel block with a run for summer-use.

I work full time, and would love the dogs to have the option of being outside in the summer, when I'm at work; but our garden will never be that secure; so a kennel & run for those times would be brill.

I only have issue with kenneled dogs when kept like the ones next door to us (who have a superb kennel block). They are kenneled for about 18-20hrs a day, never walked, only brought out when they are needed. They howl and bark the place down, especially when they can see their owners outside, but aren't allowed out to be with them.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post

I only have issue with kenneled dogs when kept like the ones next door to us (who have a superb kennel block). They are kenneled for about 18-20hrs a day, never walked, only brought out when they are needed. They howl and bark the place down, especially when they can see their owners outside, but aren't allowed out to be with them.
Our neighbours GSD/GSD crosses are like that. It's awful, and the RSPCA wont do anything becasue they are well fed..and they look like they havent been groomed in a year or so. And they dont ahve a kennel block, just a shed with a pen.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 06:53 PM
All my dogs are inside, but saying that the door is open most of the day as we are always around so they are lucky in the fact that they always have us around. I dont think it matters where the dogs are as long as they are happy and you are happy thats what matters.
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Inside. Kiba wont even stay in the garden for 5 minutes on his own let alone stay out there for hours. He's my shadow and I wouldn't have him any other way.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Inside with us - most definitely. Not usually on sofas and when the weather is fine, the doors are open so they can come and go inside or out as they choose. Don't see the point to keeping a "companion" if it does not share your home with you.
sarah8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Mine are inside dogs but I don't see any problem with any breed being housed outside if they have been used to it from a young age. My mother had KCs and a Cocker and they were kennelled outside. They had huge kennels, heated and were very happy and healthy. All lived to ripe old ages of between 13 and 15. She often used to bring them in the house in the kitchen but they always used to wander back outside. They liked being outside. They were walked every day. I wouldn't knock anyone who keeps their dogs outside if they are happy.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >