View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-10-2010, 10:02 PM
I think you need to bridge the ears Clo as they are not at a good angle imo Also watch how you tape the right one on the pic as its turning out
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by crestnut View Post
I think you need to bridge the ears Clo as they are not at a good angle imo Also watch how you tape the right one on the pic as its turning out
I'm sorry - is this a serious thing? You actually 'hold' the dogs ears in place as a pup to ensure they fit the correct breed standard?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I'm sorry - is this a serious thing? You actually 'hold' the dogs ears in place as a pup to ensure they fit the correct breed standard?
http://www.majesticbordercollies.com/PuppyEars.html
yup look at that site for an explination
poor pups and the grown up dogs ears look so wrong
imo ears should be left to do what nature intended
If so many dogs in the ring have the 'wrong' ears that have been 'corrected' isnt it about time the standard was corrected not the dogs ears?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
http://www.majesticbordercollies.com/PuppyEars.html
yup look at that site for an explination
poor pups and the grown up dogs ears look so wrong
imo ears should be left to do what nature intended
If so many dogs in the ring have the 'wrong' ears that have been 'corrected' isnt it about time the standard was corrected not the dogs ears?
I actually thought she was being sarcastic.....my mistake.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2010, 11:07 PM
ohh yuck, searching for that link I found this quote too - I hope it is wrong!
On the other hand if you want perfect pointed ears you can have them surgically inserted with wire around the edges, which is quite common practise, I'm led to believe, in breeds like Dobermans
an american forum so dunno if its something that happens in the UK - but it is just horrible
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Did I say GLUE as that link shows!!! USA do indeed crop ears but its illegal here of course. Taping pups ears with soft/ breathable tape does not hurt them. Cresteds can have rather large, heavy fringed ears as pups and if they fold then they will never be in right position. Going by the pic the position of the tape when initially done has imo actually caused the ears to lie sideways.
All you are doing is supporting the ear but taped wrongly it can change the position.
Cresteds base of ear should be in line with outer corner of eye and you cannot rectify that no matter how you tape but you can turn the ear and that imo is what has happened here
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Wrong see above post. Tape them to support if needed only not for to fit the Standard.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Wrong see above post. Tape them to support if needed only not for to fit the Standard.
Why do you need to tape them if not to fit the breed standard?

What do you mean by 'Bridging'?
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-10-2010, 11:42 PM
Why do you need to tape them if not to fit the breed standard?

What do you mean by 'Bridging'?
Taping a pup ears that are large/heavy fringed saves them folding from the weight. When they fold along the cartilage the ear will never return to an upright shape.
Some breeders have been known to bridge to also help with the support of the heaviness of the ears. Bridging is a piece of tape attached to both taped ears to hold them.
This pups ears had to be taped on and off over a 3 week period and they are fine now as the actual leather of the ear is now thicker so it will not fold
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2010, 11:45 PM
Taping a pup ears that are large/heavy fringed saves them folding from the weight. When they fold along the cartilage the ear will never return to an upright shape.
Some breeders have been known to bridge to also help with the support of the heaviness of the ears. Bridging is a piece of tape attached to both taped ears to hold them.
This pups ears had to be taped on and off over a 3 week period and they are fine now as the actual leather of the ear is now thicker so it will not fold
Thank you for explaining.

I would still not agree with it - I prefer ears to do what they are going to do naturally.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >