Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
We're all entitled to an opinion and this is mine.

The advice I would give, and have done, is to get up, get out and get on with it! Mind over matter in this instance. IMO, of course.
Never said you couldn't have your own opinion, I just find it to hold little regard for others, thats my opinion
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
Never said you couldn't have your own opinion, I just find it to hold little regard for others, thats my opinion
That's absolutely fine.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Definitely nothing to get depressed about, just wrap up warm and welcome the change, and it doesn't last for long does it, unlike those sweltering, hot months of summer, which I detest!
As Autumn draws to a close and Winter sets in I think there's always a tendancy to look back to the long days and maybe feel a little 'down' but I agree that it's not a reason to allow oneself to get depressed.

We've just had three days of continuos rain, clouds, and rapidly dropping temperatures, that made even me feel a bit morbid, but like some have said, focus the mind on doing things, getting out with the dogs, creating something (In the kitchen or in the workshop) and like you say H the really dismal days don't last too long, over here in the midle of winter with three foot of snow we often have the brightest, sunniest days you could imagine, that's a joy to behold and how anyone could be depressed on those days I don't know.

Of course everyone is different, a small minority will suffer from all sorts of seasonal problems, but I do feel that just because a few people really are 'ill' with it the majority shouldn't climb on the bandwagon. As Nicola has said, we have always had changing seasons ever since the world was created, SAD on the other hand has only appeared in the dictionary in (approximately) the last twenty years

None of the above is intended to depricate the comments of those who think they are effected by SAD or know someone who feels effected, but in this case I think it's a case of 'Positive thinking' and turning the situation around and enjoying the cosy evenings in front of the fire with the telly and a wee dram
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Sad,anxiety and depression are all recognised mental health issues. For those that have never suffered from any of them then I say you are very lucky. For those of us who have and have battled with them for many years it is very insulting to be told we need a kick up the bum and all we need to do is change our thinking.

I have tried many things over the years to help me including cognitive behaviour therapy which is all about changing your thinking to help your behaviours. HOWEVER, these things are done in conjunction with medical help and guidance.the first port of call for anyone who feels they have a mental health issue is to see their GP. After discussing their individual circumstances a way forward can be found that may or may not include medication.

It is of no help when people think we choose to be a certain way.No-one can understand mental illness until they have been there themselves, just like no one could understand how life in a wheelchair feels until they are in that situation....

Sorry to sound like I am ranting but it is hard enough having such a problem without it being belittled and equated to mere pessimism.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Westie_N, I get that some people don't agree with diagnoses especially with mental health. But to say "a kick up the bum" is a bit offensive. That type of attitude can make people not seek help and get worse (seen it many times).
You don't have to label yourself with any condition, the OP, was not sounding like she was feeling sorry for herself, she was asking if anyone else felt like she did. Obviously you don't, but don't just write things off because you don't feel it.
You don't have to like it or accept it, S.A.D is recognised as a form of depression, depending on the severity of the feelings people get, would be dependent on whether they need to seek help, none of us are able to judge that of the OP, and a 'kick up the bum' may not be the most helpful form of advice.
Thank you Emma for standing up for those of us that this girl obviously has no understanding of xx

Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Sad,anxiety and depression are all recognised mental health issues. For those that have never suffered from any of them then I say you are very lucky. For those of us who have and have battled with them for many years it is very insulting to be told we need a kick up the bum and all we need to do is change our thinking.

I have tried many things over the years to help me including cognitive behaviour therapy which is all about changing your thinking to help your behaviours. HOWEVER, these things are done in conjunction with medical help and guidance.the first port of call for anyone who feels they have a mental health issue is to see their GP. After discussing their individual circumstances a way forward can be found that may or may not include medication.

It is of no help when people think we choose to be a certain way.No-one can understand mental illness until they have been there themselves, just like no one could understand how life in a wheelchair feels until they are in that situation....

Sorry to sound like I am ranting but it is hard enough having such a problem without it being belittled and equated to mere pessimism.
Well said Rachel!

I was diagnosed with suffering from S.A.D. in Winter 2008, after two sucessive winters back in England (after living in Asia and Australia) of miserable depression, irritability, fatigue and un-controllable emotions. It is very hard to handle, especially when you expect everyone will tell you you need a kick up the bum. In fact, I have been told that this perception and belief is what lead to my anxiety.

I have a lightbox, that I use from October to February, which really works, if nothing else to help me up in the mornings.

It is also a lot better now I have Woody as I make sure I walk him for at least an hour in the day time to get some day light.

Depression of any kindis very dibillitating. It's also incredibly hard to accept, talk about and over come without support and understanding of others. Rachel in fact has been an absolute rock for me and I shall always be grateful for her.

I hope anyone who thinks they have it doesn't take any notice of that girl and goes to talk to the doctor. There is help and things can be so much better than suffering in silence xx
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
As Autumn draws to a close and Winter sets in I think there's always a tendancy to look back to the long days and maybe feel a little 'down' but I agree that it's not a reason to allow oneself to get depressed.

We've just had three days of continuos rain, clouds, and rapidly dropping temperatures, that made even me feel a bit morbid, but like some have said, focus the mind on doing things, getting out with the dogs, creating something (In the kitchen or in the workshop) and like you say H the really dismal days don't last too long, over here in the midle of winter with three foot of snow we often have the brightest, sunniest days you could imagine, that's a joy to behold and how anyone could be depressed on those days I don't know.

Of course everyone is different, a small minority will suffer from all sorts of seasonal problems, but I do feel that just because a few people really are 'ill' with it the majority shouldn't climb on the bandwagon. As Nicola has said, we have always had changing seasons ever since the world was created, SAD on the other hand has only appeared in the dictionary in (approximately) the last twenty years

None of the above is intended to depricate the comments of those who think they are effected by SAD or know someone who feels effected, but in this case I think it's a case of 'Positive thinking' and turning the situation around and enjoying the cosy evenings in front of the fire with the telly and a wee dram
Agree more or less with you, Harvey,
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Thank you Emma for standing up for those of us that this girl obviously has no understanding of xx
"This girl"....love it!

I could say that is offensive and insulting and that I have a user name, but I won't as it isn't, I'm 25 and it made me laugh.

We're all entitled to our opinions on this, however differing. Even "this girl", believe it or not. Each to their own!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
As I look out my window the hills yonder are covered in mist and fog .
I lived near central London until recently and never noticed things like the seasons changing here I am seeing them change infront of my eyes ..
Does anyone suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder??
Is it just another form of depression ??

Don't you think the seasonal changes we have are amazing? I do. Even though we get enough rain here in the West of Scotland in one week to fill an ocean......almost.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2010, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Don't you think the seasonal changes we have are amazing? I do. Even though we get enough rain here in the West of Scotland in one week to fill an ocean......almost.
It seems to me you are trying to make out like SAD does not exist, just because you don't believe it and think a good kick up the bum is the best therapy, doesn't make it so. Luckily some people can be supportive and try to understand that others don't just feel a bit glum, and it can legitimately affect peoples lives.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2010, 03:03 PM
It seems to me you are trying to make out like SAD does not exist, just because you don't believe it and think a good kick up the bum is the best therapy, doesn't make it so. Luckily some people can be supportive and try to understand that others don't just feel a bit glum, and it can legitimately affect peoples lives.
Well said Emma (and Em) people are indeed allowed their own opinions but when the medical profession have acknowledged a condition it is a bit like arguing black is white....opinions should be based on knowledge and understanding not ignorance and hasty decisions.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >