View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Wouldn't make a difference to me. My partner has Type 1 diabetes and thyroid disease. I'm aware this may shorten his life (which is even more important to us as he's 12 years older than me) but I love him and I'm not going to allow that to stop us from being together.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2010, 04:26 PM
I agree with the others Nic, I wouldn't let it stop me xx
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2010, 05:06 PM
It's better to have loved and lost and all that
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 09:01 AM
I have polycystic kidney disease, my partner is going to have to go through me going into renal failure, dialysis and then a transplant and she knows this and she didn't even consider for a second not being with me....we went for genetic counseling to see if I could have embryos screened prior to implantation but was not possible.

If someone already has a transplant, then they are exactly the same as you, apart from they have to take tablets to keep the kidney working!

I would never ever not be with someone because of a health condition. I'd be quite upset though if I ever found out that my partner had started a thread asking for other people's opinions about if she should be with me because there's a possibility I could get ill....especially when there are other people with much more serious conditions than being a kidney transplant patient! Personally if I found that out then I wouldn't be with that person let alone let them consider being with me....sorry if that offends, but its my opinion as someone with kidney disease and the daughter of a mother who had the same condition, and had a kidney transplant.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
I would never ever not be with someone because of a health condition. I'd be quite upset though if I ever found out that my partner had started a thread asking for other people's opinions about if she should be with me because there's a possibility I could get ill....especially when there are other people with much more serious conditions than being a kidney transplant patient! Personally if I found that out then I wouldn't be with that person let alone let them consider being with me....sorry if that offends, but its my opinion as someone with kidney disease and the daughter of a mother who had the same condition, and had a kidney transplant.
I don't think theres anything wrong with asking what Nic asked.
It's a very big thing to take on.
I know Chris doesn't have a 'normal' life because of me, and I know he spoke to his parents before he decided to date me.
He told his parents I was ill, and asked their opinion on dating me - if he should or not.
His Dad told him that if he likes me, then it shouldn't matter - which is true, but it's still a very hard decision to make.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
I don't think theres anything wrong with asking what Nic asked.
It's a very big thing to take on.
I know Chris doesn't have a 'normal' life because of me, and I know he spoke to his parents before he decided to date me.
He told his parents I was ill, and asked their opinion on dating me - if he should or not.
His Dad told him that if he likes me, then it shouldn't matter - which is true, but it's still a very hard decision to make.
Chris sounds like a lovely guy, but at the moment you're obviously feeling pretty poorly and you're suffering from something a lot more severe than being a kidney transplant patient, one who has had the transplant and is working full time....

I just asked Rachy about this, and she agreed with me, it never bothered her in the slightest.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
Chris sounds like a lovely guy, but at the moment you're obviously feeling pretty poorly and you're suffering from something a lot more severe than being a kidney transplant patient, one who has had the transplant and is working full time....

I just asked Rachy about this, and she agreed with me, it never bothered her in the slightest.
I wasn't this poorly when I met Chris.
It has never 'bothered' him, but I still think it must come into it when being in a relationship.

I was with someone last year, who finished with me because he couldn't cope with me being ill. (For the best really! lol), but not everyone can cope/manage with illnesses/hospitals etc etc

I did tell Chris at the beginning I will completely understand if he wants to walk away from me, as obviously it's very stressful, and he shouldn't have to put his life on hold for me - but he said no, and I know he loves me!
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 11:15 AM
That's really lovely to hear. He sounds like a wonderful guy. Unfortunately there are people out there that aren't that wonderful. Personally I wouldn't condemn anyone that didn't want to get into a relationship with someone who was very ill. At the end of the day, those that don't have to pick up the pieces shoudn't condemn. But if you're already in a relationship with somone who becomes ill then...through thick and thin and all that.
I asked my hubby this very question, and there is no doubt that as hard as it is we would stick together.
My hubby has 2 boys with severe special needs and I went out with him and married him knowing that it was genetic and we probably wouldn't have kids together. I know it's a different scenario but same feelings. I love my hubby more than life itself and although I would like to have kids...I love my husband more...and I adore his boys.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 11:35 AM
I told Rachy that I had kidney disease, mainly because my ex wife was sh!te with regards to my health. I have no issue with people considering if they can deal with it or not, but my health problems will be later on in my life, and I knew that if i was to be with anyone, they would have to be like my dad was to my mum, wonderful!

The fact that Rachy never even took a breath before replying "so?" when I pointed out the fact that I would get poorly, was the deciding factor for me. I know that should anything happen to either of us more serious than kidney failure, then we will be there for each other. My personal response to if you should date someone who is ill or not, well, would you want people to just pass you by if you were in their shoes?

Kidney transplant patients, live normal lives. Yes there are complications - my mum was very poorly, but she had other things wrong with her. Whereas my friend's mum who had a transplant well over 20 years ago, is fighting fit, perfectly healthy and has had 2 children who are now grown up - this gentleman sounds like he lives a normal life.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Lorna, as you know, we are all different and have different feelings, thanks for sharing yours with me. It's good to know how other people feel on the subject.

The guy is question already knows how I feel and completely understands. He is very open and has and will continue to answer any questions I have to the best of his ability. He obviously like me a lot to be doing this.

I'm well aware he could live a normal life for many years or that his current kidney could fail, leading to him needing dialysis etc.

I may or may not want kids in the future (yes, I know that's a long way off but it still has to be thought about) and nobody knows if his condition is/was hereditory as it's not common. Personally, if it was hereditory, I wouldn't even consider having children with him as I don't think it would be right or fair on any of us to bring a sick child in to the word. You wouldn't breed from unhealthy animals, therefore, I don't think you should do so with human beings either if you KNOW the condition could be passed on. Sorry, that's just how I feel and I won't apologise for it.

Now, if I was with him already and something happened, that's a different matter altogether. Of course I would stay with him through the tough times, but I have a choice just now and it's my choice to make.

This is MY life and MY future as well and as I've been through enough crap in my past, I intend to try and make my future a happier one if I possibly can. I'll always be there for him as a friend, regardless.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >