View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cranberry1
New Member!
Female 

04-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Oh absolutely I know that answering an inquiry would be low on their priorties. I haven't given up with local rescues, just wondering about whether I should also look a bit further afield.

I've got to say thank you for all your advice, it's really helping me!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by cranberry1 View Post
Oh absolutely I know that answering an inquiry would be low on their priorties. I haven't given up with local rescues, just wondering about whether I should also look a bit further afield.

I've got to say thank you for all your advice, it's really helping me!
I'm glad you realise that about the rescue centres...Some people just assume that the volunteers should drop everything to deal with their inquiry straight away.

If you're prepared to travel, then yes, there is no harm looking further afield. But don't forget sometimes more than one visit is necessary (though this is usually if you have existing dogs and/or the dog is particulaly nervous and needs time to get to know you).

Generally the breed rescues will be happier to rehome outside their area as many work on a national basis anyway and sometimes will have dogs in foster homes all over the country.

have you narrowed down your search at all in terms of breed - or in not a specific breed - size, energy levels, grooming considerations etc?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2010, 07:30 PM
one other thing is to think about how you present the information about yourselves. Now I know that 36 hours is full time, but if I was given the option, rather than saying 'we both work full time' I would say that your OH works 9-5 and that you only work 3 shifts a week.

I'm not suggesting lying, just making sure you give the information in the most attractive manner because some will dismiss you as soon as you say 'we both work full time' as they will automatically assume the dog will be left for 5 days a week, 8 hours a day.
cranberry1
New Member!
Female 

04-06-2010, 08:17 PM
I agree that saying full time people assume means mon-fri so I guess I need to explain our full situation rather than just say full time.

Breed wise we're not sure. I haven't owned a dog before but my husband had two springer spaniels. I like Shiba inus but I'm not sure how well that breed would fit in to our lifestyle. We don't want anything too large, probably nothing bigger than a lab, I think my husband would like a dog he can play ball with. We've got lots of open space to go for walks. I'm still researching breeds trying to decide. I don't want to rush into anything, I want to be sure we're giving the right dog the right home.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by cranberry1 View Post
I agree that saying full time people assume means mon-fri so I guess I need to explain our full situation rather than just say full time.

Breed wise we're not sure. I haven't owned a dog before but my husband had two springer spaniels. I like Shiba inus but I'm not sure how well that breed would fit in to our lifestyle. We don't want anything too large, probably nothing bigger than a lab, I think my husband would like a dog he can play ball with. We've got lots of open space to go for walks. I'm still researching breeds trying to decide. I don't want to rush into anything, I want to be sure we're giving the right dog the right home.
Sounds a very sensible plan

Vicki on Dogsey has shiba's I'm sure she'd be more than happy to tell you all about them
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

04-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Hopefully my situation may help as its similar to yours.

I normally work Monday to Friday all day and my wife works 2 to 3 weekdays, so there are 2 to 3 days a week where there is no-one at home all day.

Lady gets a 1 hour walk before work (so, its good if your a 'morning person' and about 1/2 hour to 1 hour training / walking at night.

The days we work we have a dog walker where lady gets a one hour walk / good run with other dogs.

I've had 3 dogs from the dogs trust - i would def start with an older dog from there as (a) dogs over 8 are on full foster which means you only pay the first £7.50 of medical bills (b) it is more likely that there be more information about an older dogs temprament and they are therefore in a better position to find the best dog for you
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3